Good heart rate monitors?

Options
So thinking about buying a heartrate monitor but have no idea at all where to start. What heartrate monitors do you guys have? How do they work? What are the good/bad things about the one you have? I'm looking ideally for one that can tell me how many calories I've burnt and goes round my wrist - though I'm open to chest strap ones if people think they work better.

Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• carla8270
    carla8270 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Following this. I have one but I don't think it is consistent.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I have an old polar F4...........I have brought it to the jeweler to have the battery changed once. (I"ve used it for years) It works really well.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4, I think all the accurate ones have to have a chest strap but it's comfortable to wear, can use it swimming too as long as you don't push the buttons underwater.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have an old polar F4...........I have brought it to the jeweler to have the battery changed once. (I"ve used it for years) It works really well.

You can change the batteries yourself. I bought two sets (2 batteries per package) for the watch and the monitor for the chest strap for $12.

The only downfall of the Ft4, in my opinion is the watch is sort of big. Other than that, I love it!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i don't think you could change the battery yourself if you wanted to use it in the pool though. Only had mine a few months so not needed to change the battery yet
  • MelanieAnneWoods
    MelanieAnneWoods Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar heart rate monitor for cardio workouts and would definitely recommend it. I have had mine for about ten years so doubt that they still make the same model. As far as I am aware they all have a wrist watch and strap that goes around your chest. I would suggest the Polar FT4 as it has everything you need, not sure how much they cost but you are probably looking at about R1000 to R1500.00 (South African rands)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i don't think you could change the battery yourself if you wanted to use it in the pool though. Only had mine a few months so not needed to change the battery yet

The polar website actually has directions in how to change the battery yourself.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that i just got, used once yesterday and I absolutely feel it was well worth the money paid. I have been having issues with motivation to keep my weight down after losing and thought it would help to get me off the couch and keep me going. Knowing how much I burned and having an idea of how much I wanted to burn it was easier to keep going.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Definitely go with the Polar...any model...I recently purchased the FT4 and I'm absolutely in love. Also, get it off Amazon...takes over 30% off!
  • clperrett
    clperrett Posts: 33
    Options
    I have had 3 heart rate monitors, the first one didn't have a chest strap and I found it very inaccurate, the 2 I have now are both Polar, I have 2, Polar FT4 and RS100 as I just fancied a new one but the FT4 is the best one of the two.

The RS100 annoys me because it only stores the information for the last workout, and sometimes when I work out more than once in a day I'd like to compare them but it is only a small complaint.

The chest straps are comfortable. I would never work out without my HRM now
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and I really like it. It was easy to set up and use (used it for the first time yesterday!) and the strap was very comfortable to wear.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I have to echo the Polar models. I have an FT4 and I LOVE it! I have a chest strap and it's really comfortable - I hardly realize I'm wearing it.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

Based on recommendations from my friends and on this site, I got the FT7 off Amazon.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one with a Garmin HRM? I really like it. Easy to change battery and very comfortable strap. Works with my ANT+ device so I can use with my iphone 4s along with many apps (endomondo, strava, cyclemeter, just to name a few). My polar sits in my drawer unused.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options

That is where i bought my Polar FT-4 from. Free shipping too.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump. In the market as well and leaning toward the Polar-- want to hear all the comments.
  • 32thirtytwo
    Options
    I have my eye on the FT4 as well. I'd like to hear more pros and cons of any monitors out there.
  • Msdirection
    Msdirection Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Wow, I'm definitely seeing a trend here - I think I may well end up with a Polar FT4. Thanks for the tip to look on Amazon too - found it there $20 cheaper than what it was going for on Ebay - score! Think I'll be buying one over the next few days. Any more opinions before I do though?
  • snowflakeheather
    snowflakeheather Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT4. It's easy, comfortable to wear, and I love that I'm getting a much more accurate picture of the calories I'm burning. I was disappointed to see that my HRM says significantly less for many exercises than MFP calculates for me, but I'd rather know what's really going on!
  • jellybellykelly
    jellybellykelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do any of these reputable HRMs also have a pedometer built in?? I am not the greatest consumer-researcher, but from the little bit of looking I've done, it looks like all of the best HRMs don't have a pedometer that tracks steps & miles. Would be nice to have it all in one gadget.