PALEO: Cavemen diet? W.rong

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. That was a very interesting article. I just posted it to my FB! :flowerforyou:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole hunter-gatherer food pyramid. I'm on the fence at best.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not getting clubbed on the head and dragged off to the back of the cave by my caveman husband (but of course if he did I'd be sure to tie my hair with a handy piece of reed up in a high messy bun before we drifted off to a satisfied sleep).
  • twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Dont knock it until you've tried it. Not for everyone but definitely works in the right circumstances. If you want to eat paleo but sit on your bum all day expecting to lose fat.....no. For those who box/work out hard (not just playing gym) it can work to shift fat quickly. Never used it for more than 2 weeks at a time. It Works but eating steak for breakfast can be hard going....

I agree its an extreme diet and if you dont stick to it for a period you wont see the benefit.

I believe in a variation of all diets...keep the body guessing and shock it into results....the same with gym routines.
  • LadyConundra
    LadyConundra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Whether you agree with eating Paleo/Primal/Caveman or whatever you want to call it. I know it works for me. I feel better and am so much happier when I eat Paleo. If you don't like it, agree with it, than don't eat it. PERIOD.

My other question is: How you actually tried it or are you just paste and copying an article that you googled slamming Paleo?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Never followed the paleo route myself but any method which makes you consciously choose lean protein, quality fat sources and abundant fruit and veg isn't that bad in my book.

Just a shame it got hijacked by Low Carb Inc...
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    As someone who is gluten and lactose intolerant, I'm not randomly cutting out food groups by following a paleo/primal diet. I couldn't care less about what cave people ate, but I know that my body cannot tolerate most grains. Paleo eating is healthy for my body-- that's all that matters to me.
  • butilovetacos
    butilovetacos Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally it's changed how I feel about food. Whether you disagree or not and who you choose to believe is up to you but I no longer have to eat every three hours, I don't have any blood sugar problems anymore, I feel an deeply satisfied in this way of life. You can't deny the over 2 million people that live this life, might be gaining some benefits lol. There's plenty of science to back it up also. Ultimately you have to find what works for you, regardless of who thinks what.

agreed with this! ^^^ this way of lifestyle works for me. Not a diet...lifestyle! not a fad, its forever. I love it!!! :happy:

A. I totally agree with ^^^ this is a lifestyle that works with my digestive system and my training. I know how I feel after I eat Paleo and when I chose to eat junk and I'd rather eat Paleo!

B. Seriously folks, this was not a hard article to read!!! I am a bit astonished that people don't want to take the time to read this educational article but are willing to post if the person above them is hot or not....

C. Don't knock the lifestyle until you try it, it is pretty awesome to eat healthy, feel healthy and train healthy!

D. Best of luck friends!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    First off, I have no problem with the paleo diet. It's too restrictive for my personal tastes, but it is not unhealthy.

I do have a problem with the utter rubbish people spout as science in regards to it.

It's basically an extreme form of 'the good ol' days' idiom and is nothing more than a marketing ploy aimed towards overworked, jaded people who hanker for a 'simpler' life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Whether you agree with eating Paleo/Primal/Caveman or whatever you want to call it. I know it works for me. I feel better and am so much happier when I eat Paleo. If you don't like it, agree with it, than don't eat it. PERIOD.

My other question is: How you actually tried it or are you just paste and copying an article that you googled slamming Paleo?

It doesn't matter. It's an article that was just posted yesterday, and this is the Chit Chat board. So it's timely, and personally, I found it interesting.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Sweet and Sour Pretodactyl is the best.
  • myofibril
    Options
    Sweet and Sour Pretodactyl is the best.

flintstones_ribs.jpeg
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

If the "science" behind it isn't sound, why would you try it?

I'm not about to go around cutting whole food groups out of my diet just because someone says that it's a good idea. Why would you?

I, personally would only take an extreme measure such as that if I felt that the results would be worth it. Do you know how I would find out if the results are worth it? Researching the science behind it. If the science doesn't add up or is nonexistent, then there is no way that I'm doing it.

If it works for you, great, but I'm not trying it based on shoddy science.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I'm not about to go around cutting whole food groups out of my diet just because someone says that it's a good idea. Why would you?

I, personally would only take an extreme measure such as that if I felt that the results would be worth it. Do you know how I would find out if the results are worth it? Researching the science behind it. If the science doesn't add up or is nonexistent, then there is no way that I'm doing it.

If it works for you, great, but I'm not trying it based on shoddy science.

Quite rightfully so but I'd be interested in what you have read that leads you to believe it has no scientific reasoning? What books and online references etc have you read?
  • myofibril
    Options

Because a large part of weight loss is psychological as well as physiological. I don't think you can separate the two.

All successful diets make people eat at a calorie deficit be it consciously (calorie counting) or spontaneously (Paleo, Atkins etc.) If these approaches help people feel mentally comfortable with that (usually the feeling that they are not in a state of deprivation) they are more likely to stick to it, be consistent and be successful. Unless an approach is patently absurd then a little experimentation is not a bad thing.

I think most people would prefer to be slim and / or healthy than right.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Because a large part of weight loss is psychological as well as physiological. I don't think you can separate the two.

All successful diets make people eat at a calorie deficit be it consciously (calorie counting) or spontaneously (Paleo, Atkins etc.) If these approaches help people feel mentally comfortable with that (usually the feeling that they are not in a state of deprivation) they are more likely to stick to it, be consistent and be successful. Unless an approach is patently absurd then a little experimentation is not a bad thing.

I think most people would prefer to be slim and / or healthy than right.

Agreed, you def can't seperate the two, that's often why gastric bands fail- they haven't addressed the emotional/psychological issues.

Different things work for different people. How will you know what works for your body unless you've tried it?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I read 2 sentences. You should really spend more energy into making them do Daylight Savings on a Friday night instead of Saturday night. This suuuuuuuuuuuucks.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Personally it's changed how I feel about food. Whether you disagree or not and who you choose to believe is up to you but I no longer have to eat every three hours, I don't have any blood sugar problems anymore, I feel an deeply satisfied in this way of life. You can't deny the over 2 million people that live this life, might be gaining some benefits lol. There's plenty of science to back it up also. Ultimately you have to find what works for you, regardless of who thinks what.

Then don't call it paleo, because now there is further proof that it is not!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's a good article and I've read others like it. I remember "feeling better" from eating the Fit for Life Diet so many years ago and that one too was put in the trash bin by real scientists. If paleo is working for you, then at least consider that it may because it has you paying more attention to the quality of what you put in your mouth, rather than it being because of you are cutting out grains. legumes, and dairy.
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am thankful for the evolutionary process, so is my diet.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Then don't call it paleo, because now there is further proof that it is not!

Well what else would you suggest I call it? Lol why does it matter what I call it if it means I can associate how I eat with others that eat the same way and understand my lifestyle choices??