Suitable to wear to a wedding?!

Options
crazihel
crazihel Posts: 72 Member
I have six weddings to attend this summer so inevitably have started looking for outfit inspiration. I normally steer clear of next but I saw this dress in the catalogue at a friend's house and loved it.

For me its the perfect shape, knee length with full sleeves - I am self conscious about my arms, and I certainly don't want a minidress but the only problem is that it is cream. Bearing in mind all the brides are all very good/best friends of mine & are all wearing the bridal works - full length, silk/lace, train & veil do you think this dress would be ok? I'm thinking team it with a bright/pastel hat/shoe/bag combination.

Thoughts please?

http://www.next.co.uk/g3864s1

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I tried getting the picture to post for you, but it's not working for me either.

If it's that white lace dress, I would try to steer clear from wearing white to a wedding.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    It looks like the same exact dress comes in navy blue... Why not get that one instead? Because, I mean, according to everything I've ever read in Glamour magazine, wearing white (or off-white or cream~ or whatever) to a wedding is kind of a no-no. The style of the dress is lovely, though.
  • crazihel
    Options
    I tried getting the picture to post for you, but it's not working for me either.

If it's that white lace dress, I would try to steer clear from wearing white to a wedding.

Thanks for trying to post it. Don't know why is isn't working.

Thanks for the opinion also. Several people I have spoken to (mostly my parent's age) seem to be of the opinion that it would be ok to wear as it's a fairly casual dress & not long or low cut, especially if worn with a hat. Anyway I just wanted people's thoughts :)
  • crazihel
    Options
    It looks like the same exact dress comes in navy blue... Why not get that one instead? Because, I mean, according to everything I've ever read in Glamour magazine, wearing white (or off-white or cream~ or whatever) to a wedding is kind of a no-no. The style of the dress is lovely, though.

It's just I'm not a fan of the blue as much. And the weddings are in high summer so a chance to wear light, summery colours if you know what I mean. Thanks for your advice :)
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you were going to wear the cream-colored one, could you wear any jewelry with other colors to even out the white? Or maybe a shawl or light jacket to wear on top?
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The golden rule is never to wear white at a wedding unless you are the bride.
    It's a beautiful dress but not for a wedding, sorry.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    I was at a wedding once where the groom's brother and his partner wore a white suit and white dress respectively. I know people have different opinions but the one thing I will say was that a lot of people spoke very discouragingly about what they were wearing. If you want to avoid the opportunity for negativity, avoid wearing white and respect the brides day- whether you believe in the tradition or not
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think it's lovely, but unfortunately it probably depends on the people you are going to be around and how much you want to offend them. I think it's a little ridiculous that you aren't allowed to wear white or something sexy to a wedding... I'd want my guests to be comfortable and happy!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

I actually really like the blue one much better!!! I'd go with the blue!! Gorgeous dress!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    dont wear white or pale cream colours to someone elses wedding
    and I might be in the same age group as your parents
    really bad etiquette
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Buy the cream one, and have it dyed another color, like coral :-)
  • crazihel
    Options
    If you were going to wear the cream-colored one, could you wear any jewelry with other colors to even out the white? Or maybe a shawl or light jacket to wear on top?

I definitely don't want to wear a jacket. I'd take one in case it was a bit cold, but I wouldn't want to be confined to wearing it all day. Shawl/pashmina is another possibility. I would consider wearing a bright hat, shoes & bag to inject colour into the outfit.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The dress is gorgeous! But DON'T buy the off white one for a wedding. That's a huge no-no. Any other color...
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    It doesn't matter the style, shape, length of the dress - if it's white/cream/off-white etc, you don't wear it to a wedding.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you want to piss the bride off, go for it. You'll always be the one who she tells her friends, 'She wore white to my wedding....'.

I just wouldn't risk it, it's quite traditional that nobody should wear white to a wedding.

I agree with the other posts - either buy the cream one and dye it a different colour, or get the navy one xx
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options

It's just I'm not a fan of the blue as much. And the weddings are in high summer so a chance to wear light, summery colours if you know what I mean. Thanks for your advice :)

You could style it with light, summery colours, though! Navy blue and yellow is one of my favourite colour combinations! The white one is totally gorg, but I just don't think it's quiiiite right for weddings.

Plus -- based on your profile picture, you look really pretty in navy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress! I would definitely wear it, if it were me.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ONLY if you add a really significant splash of another colour... Hat, shoes etc

If there's the slightest risk that the bride might take offence I'd steer well clear though.. Only you know whether or not that could be the case!
  • crazihel
    Options

They are lovely dresses - but for me they come across slightly too casual/daytime, apart from the last which is too short for me & also I'd prefer my arms covered :)