success stories from 1200 calorie dieters wanted

Options

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The measure of whether a diet is successful is whether the weight loss has been maintained 5 years later. This is the number that studies on success/failure rates (at least in this country) are based on.

Could we modify the question to take that into account? After all, it's not a success if you hit your goal and then 2 years later you gain most of it back again.

I would be genuinely interested in whether people have lost the weight, kept it off for 5 years and, if so, what diet/maintenance plan they followed.
    Excellent point.
  • katoabes
    katoabes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That'll be me then... 1200 is my ideal and I'm 55lbs down.

Eating 1200 calories and working out 5x per week.
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile. I was 248 lbs and now am at 151 lbs. Started off at a 1200 calorie a day diet with low exercise and slowly, incrementally increased my exercise to what it is today. Changed my lifestyle completely. Read my story and see if it's what you're looking for. Everyone is different. There are no absolutes except death and taxes. Best, Mark
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great job '1200 calorie ladies!' Wooh hoo! Love the thread keep doing what works for you! Don't mind the people who think they know YOU better than YOU know you. It works for some, but not all. Congrats ladies!

Amen!

I am female, 38 years old, 5'6 - SW 177, CW 170, GW 135. I work a desk job, work out 6 days a week for an hour, 3 cardio, 2 resistance, 1 yoga/pilates for recovery.

Since February 1st I have been on 1200 calories a day. I eat back my exercise so my net goal is 1200. Some days I am over, most days I am under. I have a cheat meal once a week (on my yoga/recovery day) that can bump me as high as 2000 that day.

I got my dieting advise from a certified nutritionist & coach. She does believe that a weekly cheat meal can help boost metabolism and move weight loss along in low calorie diets. Plus it keeps you from just saying forget it and going back to the old ways of 3000 calories a day everyday.

I try to get at least half my body weight in protein everyday, eat as many whole foods as I can throughout the day but I don't stress out over every single piece of food I eat. If I did this wouldn't last for me. Most days I am not hungry & 1200 net is plenty of food. If I am hungry then I eat something & don't stress about going over as long as it's not by more than 300 or so calories. Last night is a great example. It's Walking Dead night so we don't cook & my teenagers want to order pizza. I ordered thin crust veggie but processed foods (like cheap pizza crust) are never satisfying so I end up overeating. I don't kick myself over it, I just come to terms with it and move on. I am not trying to be a body builder, I just want to be healthy and happy.

So far I have lost 7 pounds which is about 1.5 pounds per week. I am not fatigued at all, in fact I feel great. At some point I will plateau & that's when I will seek advice to make it to the next level. I will also listen to my body - it will tell me the right thing to do.

Just my success story so far on 1200 net cals, I am looking forward to posting my before & after pics in a few months :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Ha! I ate 1200 calories for a year, and exercised, did not eat the exercise calories back. I lost 50lbs, I looked and felt like total crap and gained 20lbs back in less than a year.

I'm back again to do it the right way. I'm eating 1700 calories day now.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Ha! I ate 1200 calories for a year, and exercised, did not eat the exercise calories back. I lost 50lbs, I looked and felt like total crap and gained 20lbs back in less than a year.

This is awesome! :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

So you werent even getting 1200 cals if you were exercising as well you probably netting 1000 or less
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

So you werent even getting 1200 cals if you were exercising as well you probably netting 1000 or less

Nope I was negative everyday for a very long time. I was miserable and tired. I read a bunch of threads here on how other people were eating 1200 calories and had success, and weren't eating their exercise calories back. I couldn't wrap my head about the idea of eating more to lose.

Now I get it.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I know a girl that lost 130#s in 12 months on 1200 cals went from 258 to 128, her body now looks like a 1/2 melted candle.

Wow what a visual that was.. Poor girl
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Ok, OP. I challenge you to show me where anybody said that nobody has had success on 1200 calories a day.

Do you even read these forums?
  • Beaupeep
    Beaupeep Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 for 15 months now and have lost nearly 20 lbs. I am 5'6" and am at 146 but would like to be 135. My problem is that I go over my sugar allowance pretty much every day and I don't eat my exercise calories back for the most part. Maybe it is time to readjust the calories because I have not lost an ounce in about 7 months now.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Great job '1200 calorie ladies!' Wooh hoo! Love the thread keep doing what works for you! Don't mind the people who think they know YOU better than YOU know you. It works for some, but not all. Congrats ladies!

Amen!

I am female, 38 years old, 5'6 - SW 177, CW 170, GW 135. I work a desk job, work out 6 days a week for an hour, 3 cardio, 2 resistance, 1 yoga/pilates for recovery.

Since February 1st I have been on 1200 calories a day. I eat back my exercise so my net goal is 1200. Some days I am over, most days I am under. I have a cheat meal once a week (on my yoga/recovery day) that can bump me as high as 2000 that day.

I got my dieting advise from a certified nutritionist & coach. She does believe that a weekly cheat meal can help boost metabolism and move weight loss along in low calorie diets. Plus it keeps you from just saying forget it and going back to the old ways of 3000 calories a day everyday.

I try to get at least half my body weight in protein everyday, eat as many whole foods as I can throughout the day but I don't stress out over every single piece of food I eat. If I did this wouldn't last for me. Most days I am not hungry & 1200 net is plenty of food. If I am hungry then I eat something & don't stress about going over as long as it's not by more than 300 or so calories. Last night is a great example. It's Walking Dead night so we don't cook & my teenagers want to order pizza. I ordered thin crust veggie but processed foods (like cheap pizza crust) are never satisfying so I end up overeating. I don't kick myself over it, I just come to terms with it and move on. I am not trying to be a body builder, I just want to be healthy and happy.

So far I have lost 7 pounds which is about 1.5 pounds per week. I am not fatigued at all, in fact I feel great. At some point I will plateau & that's when I will seek advice to make it to the next level. I will also listen to my body - it will tell me the right thing to do.

Just my success story so far on 1200 net cals, I am looking forward to posting my before & after pics in a few months :)

There is a huge difference between 1200 NET calories, and just eating 1200 calories, which is what many of the anti-1200 threads have been about.

MFP is set up for people to eat 1200 PLUS their exercise calories, which is what you are doing.

Many people ignore the exercise calories part and just eat 1200.

You are doing great :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are some impressive results on here from 1200 calorie dieters.

You'd think this would give the "I eat this much and you know you want to be just like me" braggarts something to think about, but I really wouldn't hold my breath on that.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ok, will try to upload some photos. See if this works.

My highest weight of 237
    1264b465-4cea-43ef-b8f0-db58ea53f475_zps33d8d183.jpg

I didn't take any pics when I started here in Aug at 228, but this one was taken about 6 weeks later when I was about 12 lbs down and really happy about that!
    0ea7a78f-7cbe-41aa-bfea-a7913cd9d1ad_zps70f91e44.jpg

Today, at 190. Still a ways to go, but definitely getting back to the me I haven't seen in over 12 yrs!

b6ba95c6-e471-4001-9220-06c5175df499_zps79089229.jpg

Sorry the pics are so huge. Don't know how to fix that, but will work on it.

You look amazing! I started at a similar weight and hovering around 220 pounds at the moment. My current profile pic was taken very recently. I am 53. I did try at the start to eat 1200 but hated it. Upped to 1400 with some success but then plateaued and then experimented around 1600. I exercise 3 times a week when I can. So far it is working and I am delighted with the inches lost so far. Like you I have a long way to go! This thread is fascinating and obviously 1200 works for many people. I am not one of them but eveybody is different.
  • ivyana25
    ivyana25 Posts: 76
    Options
    I know a girl that lost 130#s in 12 months on 1200 cals went from 258 to 128, her body now looks like a 1/2 melted candle.

Thats probably cuz she didnt incorporate exercise with her diet

Ive been on here 2 months and eat 1200 calories and ive lost 12 lbs which i think is great!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50lbs in 5 months eating 1200 calories. Then I slacked off a little bit and gained it all back within 5 more months.

To those who do it and keep it off, congrats. But I am a perfect example of 'just because you are losing, doesn't mean you are doing it right". I under ate, lost quickly and gained it back quickly, working extra hard to lose it the right way now, 2000 calories a day.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and mfp set my calories to 1200, I lost at first but being so close to my goal it's so much harder to lose and I reached a plateau after several months. I recently upped mine to 1300 to see how that goes. I eat plenty of food and have more energy now than I ever did eating 2000 plus calories of junk!
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    I'm eating between 1200 - 1250 and not eating my calories back....I will do this until I begin to stop seeing results and then I might change it up. I am also lifting heavy weights and doing cardio.

I eat 5 times a day, about 100 g of protein and no more than 35 g of fat. I feel amazing!

^This. I lost 33 lbs eating 1200 a day and not eating my exercise calories back. I get nearly 100g of carbs, 100g or more of protein a day and no more than 35g of fat a day.I exercise 7 days a week, strength train 5-6 days a week, and play volleyball competively 1 days a week. I only just recently upped my calories,because of a plateau and so that I can begin rehabing my metabolism.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are some impressive results on here from 1200 calorie dieters.

You'd think this would give the "I eat this much and you know you want to be just like me" braggarts something to think about, but I really wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I'm enjoying the stories, but am dissapointed in the lack of photographs.

I love seeing photographs in success threads, particularly when they are people as tall/old as me, as it gives inspiration.

So come on ladies who eat 1200 (gross) - let's see your new bodies.

:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!