Weightloss by Walking ?

Options
By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss? I need to lose quite a bit of weight before I can do any drastic cardio, as I found out by doing stairs instead of the elevator in my building for 3 days straight, and it caused me to be unable to walk for 3 days due to my knee ligaments being very damaged. So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVITY ON THIS THREAD!

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss?

So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

cm-24568-0506d32cfab0e5.gif
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Weighty loss is accomplished by a calorie deficit. Period. Exercise is not necessary. However, I believe that exercise has benefits that make it very worthwhile. Personally, I walk and I really enjoy it. Weight loss is not my only goal, overall health and well-being is, so for me, exercise is important. So, walking doesn't help you lose weight, it does help you feel better and an added benefit is eating back some of those calories.
  • Lbriggs82
    Lbriggs82 Posts: 58
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss?

So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

cm-24568-0506d32cfab0e5.gif

LOL!! Love it!! :laugh:
  • Richard269
    Options
    Hi , I try to walk 5 miles a day .yes it helps a great deal with wight loss but remember to try to get your heart rate up a bit ! Been on here for 25 days and lost 16 pound so far which I do not think I could have done with out walking . Just remember to take 5 mins to warm up first . Good luck .
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In my opinion yes. Many extremely obese people who eventually lost a lot of weight started out by walking. As you walk
    you will need to add to the difficulty by changing the terrain, the pace and by adding weight in the form of a backpack
    or weighted vest.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My first 6 months was just walking. Like you I was too heavy for anything else and way out of shape. I started slow and finally was up to 8-10 miles a day. Joined the Y 3 months and shed 83 pounds over ten months. Most of it from walking but now I do much more. Ran my first 5k Saturday. Trust me you can do it :) believe in yourself. Even if no one else will.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes. As you begin to lose weight, it will become increasingly easier to move your body, and you'll no doubt start incorporating other exercises, like short runs, air squats, lunges, push-ups etc. Eventually, if you keep going, you'll become a fitness enthusiast and be doing all sorts of things you didn't even think possible.

The absolute best starting point is walking: do it for an hour a day while getting your caloric intake under control. If you can walk for up to an hour a day, you'll be stunned by your results in two months.
  • danwatto
    danwatto Posts: 14
    Options
    I think you can.

Looking at it from the other angle I've always been pretty active - but I put on 50lb more than I need.
    The reason - food. I think food has a bigger impact than exercise.

For example I worked my *kitten* off today at the gym and then walking and it burned some calories. But that 2 hours exercise is equal to only a single pizza I used to eat some nights!

Diet needs to be right first, then build up your walking sessions gradually. Walk a little longer each session and build up to longer walks slowly. Take a rest day in between until you get used to it. Make sure you have good shoes.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss? I need to lose quite a bit of weight before I can do any drastic cardio, as I found out by doing stairs instead of the elevator in my building for 3 days straight, and it caused me to be unable to walk for 3 days due to my knee ligaments being very damaged. So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVITY ON THIS THREAD!

The walking definitely will help, but you really need to be extremely accurate on your food logging (almost OCD for the first couple of weeks). Invest in a food scale and try to hit your macros especially for protein.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't know about you, but a big part of what got me to the Land of Chubs was simply not moving my body. Every movement you make will burn a little bit of energy.

Calorie deficit is king, but exercise, walking, movement of any sort! will help you get there.

Good luck!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    31610561.jpg

Even after over 3 years doing this, walking is my go-to. I love walking. It's a great way to get moving AND get somewhere...lol. I regularly walk about 2-6 miles at a time very easily. But really, food is the most important part of the equation when it comes right down to it.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yes. As you begin to lose weight, your ability to move your body will become increasingly easier, and you'll no doubt start incorporating other exercises, like short runs, air squats, lunges, push-ups etc. Eventually, if you keep going, you'll become a fitness enthusiast and be doing all sorts of things you didn't even think possible.

Or not :p

You can lose weight sitting on your *kitten* all day if you so desire. The only thing that matters is your calories. Any activity that you choose to do is for health and if you do anything you need to make sure that you are eating back some of the calories that you gained from exercise. Exercising will help you feel better / look better while you lose weight but it is not required.

I walk about half an hour a day / 5 days a week. The only other 'exercise' I get is the occasional Zumba class - when I manage to go and anything I do at work. So far I have lost almost 50 lbs this way, I see no reason why that trend should stop suddenly ;)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    yes it will but I would advocate getting a pedometer and seeing what your normal walking is
    then up the amount just 5 or 10 percent a week
    you have already done damage to your body in three days of stairs - dont push yourself so much you do damage at the start
    stick with your caloreis - but be aware that for me and it seems many others mfp over allows on the calories given for walking - my pedometer set to height weight and stride length gives me far fewer
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I know food is a big thing, but I want to also get myself moving and doing something too. Just want to make sure what I'm doing will be benificial!
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    SORRY I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED:

The stairs didn't DO the damage.
    I have "locking knees" - basically when I bend and put weight on my knees, such as in a kneeling position, I am unable to straighten out my leg without a lot of pain, and a loud and painful pop. It's due to my hips growing wider then I was growing tall while growing when I was younger.

However, I am 275 pounds. This has a HUGE impact on my knees being unable to carry my weight, so I HAVE to strengthen my knees more, and lose a lot of weight. My doctor is the one who said this.

So I will be careful, but walking will be the lowest impact on me in my opinion.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes, the only exercise I've done is walking, mostly because I can't do much else, but it's worked for me so far. I started off with short distances, then I upped the distance. After that seemed to be getting a bit too easy I lowered the distance but upped the speed. Now I'm either going to start the long walks again or start wearing a weighted backpack when I go out. Not only has it helped with the weight loss but it has improved my fitness so much. We live on a hill, 6-7 months ago I could barely walk up it, slowly. I'd be puffing and panting. Now I can keep my speed up and get to the top fairly easily. It's still a workout but I don't feel like it might kill me lol.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Do you have any access to swim? Like at the local YMCA or anything? Swimming is a SUPERB low-impact, gentle exercise that can also burn a lot of calories. If not, however, walking is still an excellent option. :)
  • pevansk47
    pevansk47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes walking does help! I was having problems with my knees! I started walking every day! I started walking a mile! Now I can walk up to five miles! If you have cable go to demand and pull up sports and fitness! They have walking exercises that you can do for fifteen minutes or more! That will help you also! I pray you will reach your goal! I have lost 12 pounds since Thanksgiving! I go to the Nutritionist tomorrow! I can not wait to see how much I have lost! I only weight myself when I go there!
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I walk around the outside building at work, 15 minutes before clocking in, then again on my last break. Hubby has added walking on weekends to 5 miles in our weight loss. It'll keep you limber and enjoy the scenery.