Options

Replies

• Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 1x weetabix (british cereal) 200 ml skimmed milk
    Snack: special k bar/fruit
    Lunch: something for around 200 cal eg soup or smoked salmon salad
    Dinner: either chicken prawns or salmon barely eat any red meat, with lots of veg and either new potatoes or stir fry vegetables!
    Desert: ( I always leave enough calories as I always need something sugary after dinner) usually a weight watchers desert 100/200 cal or a chocolate moose/ creme caramel (100 cal) or a marangue nest with fruit(100 cal) :)my average day is around 1,100 cal and I have lost 16 lbs since jan 03rd (144 lb cw).

Exercise: I also burn at least 600 calories at the gym 4 times per week
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Hi there, I don't think you should be really cutting out any one food group unless you plan on not eating that food group for the rest of your life.

Once you figure out your daily calorie needs, you can fit whatever you want to eat into your daily menus just as long as you stay under your calories.

Here is a good thread to try and figure out your calorie needs. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • teddybooman
    Options
    Hey there,

I don't count caloroies, have committed to eatting the best I can sooo,
    breakfast - Coffee (got to have some Java), 3 fruits (whaever you like), yogurt and home made granola (the store stuff is toooo sweet)

Lunch - Toast with PB, more fruit, milk

snack - veggies, or left over salad

dinner - salmon, quinoa, veggies, salad

My main focus it to get as much fruit and veggies as possible - I don't limit these

treat - chocolate (dark)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, non-processed as much as possible (only canned is canned tomatoes for soups). I am celiac which means I cannot eat any gluten. This has made it easy to cut out crap in a hurry. I eat NO breads, no pastas, no cookies, no cakes or cookies, no unhealthy snacking, no barley, well anything that has gluten.

So my typical day:
    breakfast - one egg, two egg white scrambled with two teaspoons of salsa and a coffee (5% cream and one sugar)
    snack - apple slices, teaspoon of PB
    lunch - spinach salad, avocado, lots of veggies and homemade vinegar/oil dressing
    dinner - lean meat, lots of veggies and perhaps a quinoa/brown rice
    post workout snack - greek yogurt, mixed berries, pecans

I drink at least 12 glasses of water a day, I do not take any calories by liquid other than my morning coffee.

My workouts include 15 minute incremental run, 30 minutes strength training, burpees, dynamic lunges - I do this 5x a week.

I have lost over 60lbs in 18 months and still going strong.

I have only started food logging using this site and it has kicked in my weight loss even more.
  • TashaHem
    TashaHem Posts: 10
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request and my diary is open. The biggest change I have made is to not have any carbs/sweets for breakfast. Believe it or not, I eat nuts and veggies for breakfast. Don't get the cravings I used to get since I made that change. And exercise is really important! At least 300 calories expended a day. I still have a long way to go, but am feeling hopeful for the first time. Hang in there! Oh, and water!!!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My diary is open...but I'm in maintenance and don't eat WELL all the time. Ignore the beer, please.

The things I do find that work are: High protein snacks such as beef/turkey jerky, cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Lots of water. No diet soda (I went cold turkey in 2010 and never went back). I never watched my sugar or sodium and was able to lose the weight just the same - now I wasn't eating processed foods either but I cook with salt every day. Cooking for yourself is HUGE. Relying on others to make food for you is a pit fall of a healthy lifestyle, you don't know what they are adding or cooking with. Eating out every once in a while is ok, but really try to cook at home. Skinny Taste.com is a great resource for good recipes...
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas! I like the idea of being able to save some cals for dessert. Am going to try baking peaches apples and such with homemade granola until I get my weight down.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my advice counts too much because I've only lost 9 pounds so far, but that has been over just the past 2 weeks and I don't have a whole lot I want to lose. I am 154 pounds (as of today) and 5'7". I want to weight 140. I feel like eat a tonne, but have taken all refined foods completely out of my diet. I average around 1400 calories a day now, whereas I probably ate around 2100 a day. I find it pretty easy to do and I keep my diet as simple as possible. I live in a foreign country, so it is pretty difficult to get the variety of food that I can in Canada, so my day to day is very similar. I also only eat meat once or twice a week - going vegetarian the rest of the time. (This is for health, ethical, and environmental reasons).
    Here's a sample:

Breakfast: 2 bananas, 2 cups of frozen raspberries and a tablespoon of ground flax seed. I add about a cup of pre-made cinnamon/ginger tea and blend it up. No dairy. It's AMAZING!

Lunch: 10-20 almonds, a slice of Havarti (about 1 oz.), and a huge apple (or two small ones)

Dinner: Black Bean with Chili and Lime Salad. This includes about 4+ cups of mixed greens, and any veggies I have around. I open a 15 oz. can of black beans, add about a tbls of lime juice and some chili powder and mix together. I heat it until tender and yummy! Then I throw about half of it on my salad and enjoy. My hubby adds some meat to his half and eats it in tortillas and with cheese.

Snacks: I snack on dry roasted (no oil) squash seeds (which I make myself anytime I eat squash or pumpkin), kumquats (which are frankly delicious) or a few walnuts if I'm still pretty hungry.

I also try to eat the majority of my food within an 8-10 hour window as I like the benefits of it - I rarely feel hungry in the morning, but am a night eater. However, that's not for everyone.

If you want to include more calories, have an omelet with breakfast (protein helps you feel fuller for longer) OR perhaps a slice of whole wheat toast.

I haven't started an exercise regime yet, but walk at least 30 minutes each day. I don't really calculate this though in my journal.

Good luck!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am looking for some help, I would like to lose about 40 lbs. please post a sample meal day here including excersize. I cant read anymore about nutrition, i need some ideas of what has worked for others. Usually to lose weight I do no grains all week and then cheat on the weekends but I am getting older now, lol!! And it obviously doesn't work for the long term because I gain it back once I hit my goal weight and start eating grain again.
    Thanks!!!!!!

You need to stop cutting out things that you obviously enjoy. If you eat things in moderation, you will not have any need for 'cheat days'. There is no need to cut out grains.

This is a typical example of a days food for me. I eat 1850 cals a day.

Breakfast:
    150ml almond milk
    1 sachet Alpen oats
    2 cups coffee with skimmed milk

Lunch:
    Chicken breast or salmon fillet
    Hard boiled egg
    Salad

Dinner:
    Beef casserole with lots of veg and mashed potatoes.

Snacks:
    Apple
    150g grapes
    Carrot sticks with home made hummus
    1 small tub Greek yogurt
    1 packet Snack a jacks

My lunch is always high in protein as it keeps me full. My dinner always contains some form of meat, with plenty of veg, again high in protein and healthy.

I don't cut anything out. Obviously my snacks vary and so do my dinners, but I'll still eat rice, pasta, grains, and everything else that seems to be classed as no-go food, as long as there's room for it in my calories.
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Like a few others, I'm eating near maintenance, so my calories might be a little higher than you are looking for and I took the weekend off, but otherwise I think my diary is open if you want to take a look.

What I would judge to be a "typical" day:
    Wake up and work out. I usually do this fasted. Usually a quick cardio session (15-20 minutes circuit training or 20-30 minutes on the treadmill). Once a week I do a slightly longer run for endurance. Once a week I play Frisbee at night. And twice a week I lift weights after cardio (again, very basic set, keeping it short. About 20-30 minutes).

Breakfast: overnight oats OR protein shake and toast with nut butter

Lunch: Pasta with sauce that has lots of vegetables (lunch varies, but I try to get a good balance of protein, carbs and fat. I usually make something on the weekend and then eat that same thing every day at work).

Afternoon snack: When I was still losing, I skipped this and just waited until dinner. Now I will often have a piece of fruit and some almonds. Or maybe raisin bread and cream cheese. Sometimes I don't have anything though, if it's a rest day or I have a high-cal meal planned

Dinner: I put most of my calories for the day here (almost half) and basically just eat what I feel like that fits my calories and protein requirements. I have crepes once a week, for example. But more often, I'll have spinach salad (with a couple of types of protein on it like bacon and chickpeas) and then maybe a tuna sandwich or chicken and potatoes. And I always try to leave a little room (100+ calories) for something sweet for dessert, even if it's just a few squares of chocolate.

Edit: Also just noting that I don't have a car, so I walk and bike a lot, including to and from work, to the grocery store, etc.
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request my diary is open to the public.
    My usual day:
    Breakfast:
    3 scrambled egg whites
    2 slices of turkey bacon
    1 slice toast w/jam
    some sort of fruit

Lunch:
    Healthy Choice Steamer
    or a large salad usually with chicken
    or a tuna salad wrap

Dinner:
    ****Last night****
    blackend Swai fish
    asparagus
    Knorr rice side - mushroom

During the week because I eat breakfast at 5:30 and don't get lunch until 1:00 I have a snack around 10:00 it is usaully yogurt and 1/4 cup of Special K protien cereal. I get off work at 6:00 and usually don't eat dinner until about 7:30 I have another snack at 4:00 and that is usually a fruit or baby carrots and 2 celery stalks with a Laughing Cow cheese in the celery. Sometimes on the weekend I will have Jolly Time popcorn (100 cal) or I will have Healthy Choice frozen yogurt for my snack.

Good luck
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    For breakfast during the week I drink coffee (k cup), 2 packets of Splenda or Stevia and sugarfree Coffeemate creamer. I also eat a cup of strawberries or other mixed fruit with 1/2c low fat cottage cheese. Weekends I'm a little looser but try to keep breakfast under 500 calories. Eggs, turkey bacon, rye toast, bagel, low fat cream cheese, fruit.
    Lunch during the week I usually have a Smart Ones or Lean cuisine. I know most people frown upon this but it works for me. Portioned, calories low, ready in minutes and cheap. On weekends I get Tropical Smoothie, or eat soup and sandwich, salad, leftovers, chicken and cheese quesadilla.
    Dinner, I have just been portioning and using substitutes for my old favorite meals. Spaghetti I now use ground turkey in the sauce and use low calorie sauce, I cup cooked pasta with 1/2c sauce and a sprinkling of grated parmesan, if calories allow I will have a small piece of bread. I also love using quinoa now instead of rice or other starchy sides. I still love my mashed potatoes so I use Idahoan and just portion them out. Lots of green and steamed veggies. Lean meats like baked/grilled chicken, ground chicken in my homemade chili instead of beef.
    Snacks are fruits like apples, bananas, grapes or 100 calorie granola or Fiber One bars. Quakes rice snacks (they come in 90 calorie snack bags), or baked chips when I really just want chips, the individual baggies take the guess work out of portioning. I eat 1300 calores or less a day. Weekends, not always but I try to be more active on weekends than during the week anyway.
    I am currently doing the 30 day shred for exercise 6 days a week, burn 220 calories. I also use various other DVDs or play Just Dance 4 on Wii.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Great ideas everyone!! Thank you. I feel like I can cherry pick from all your advice to try out something I like.
    Today I tried to balance having things I like in moderation and staying full. Let me know what you think if you feel like looking at my diary.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Great ideas everyone!! Thank you. I feel like I can cherry pick from all your advice to try out something I like.
    Today I tried to balance having things I like in moderation and staying full. Let me know what you think if you feel like looking at my diary.

aside from being far too few calories (you should probably add ~400 calories) your day looks decent.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't think you should be really cutting out any one food group unless you plan on not eating that food group for the rest of your life.

Once you figure out your daily calorie needs, you can fit whatever you want to eat into your daily menus just as long as you stay under your calories.

Here is a good thread to try and figure out your calorie needs. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^^^ this. and lifting heavy weights

My weekly exercise plan is currently:

sat: lower body day (heavy weights)
    sun: upper body day (heavy weights)
    mon: rest day
    tues: whole body workout (bodyweight exercises, just as intense as heavy weights, because I get bored and like variety)
    wed: rest day
    thurs: circuit training day (some of the circuits involve weights)
    fri: rest day

I'm currently eating 1850 calories a day for a slow cut (i.e. losing fat very slowly, as I'm already at 22% body fat, want to get down to around 18-20%), of which 40% is carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. However, please follow the advice in the post I quoted regarding how to figure out the right number of calories for you, because it's different for everyone.

Additionally, I try to get a varied amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet, and I refuse to give up chocolate, and I don't have any forbidden foods. I simply focus on supplying my body with what it needs (both in terms of the number of calories and enough nutrients) and fit whatever else I want to eat into my calorie goal. Sometimes that means smaller portions, sometimes it doesn't.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you want to add me as a friend you can see my diary :)
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Yes I don't want to cut out any one food group because I realize now that I get nowhere that way. I have gained back every time I did low no carb. I want to be able to have a bagel once in a while and a brownie and mashed potatoes but still lose weight.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    I was doing Jillian micheals 30 day shred for 3 weeks 6 days a week and counting cals and lost nothing. Well I have no scale but my pants were still crazy tight, any ideas?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was doing Jillian micheals 30 day shred for 3 weeks 6 days a week and counting cals and lost nothing. Well I have no scale but my pants were still crazy tight, any ideas?

Were you tracking and counting your calories carefully? My advice would be to go to the road map thread linked to in the post that I quoted, read it really carefully and follow the steps to find the right amount of calories for you.

Then you need to track your food carefully, i.e. log it here (you can use the custom goals setting to make your goal the same as the numbers you got from the road map thread) - weighing food is more accurate than volume measurements. Log and track all of what you eat, and get as close as you can to your calorie goal. I try to be 50 cals either way from it.

At the same time, try to include plenty of protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, fruit and vegetables, and stay hydrated. Then you can eat whatever you like that will fit in your calorie goals e.g. your bagel, a brownie or two.

Try that for 2 weeks, while still doing the 30 day shred. Exercise on its own will strengthen your body, make you fit and healthy, but you won't lose the excess fat unless you're eating less than you burn off - hence the importance of having the right calorie goal. Too few calories and you're constantly starving, fighting the urge to binge, grumpy, lacking energy, etc.... too many and you simply won't lose. But the road map thread should help you to find the right amount for you.
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything out that fits in my calorie goals. Sometimes I eat healthier than others. I was loving cooking and trying new recipes for a while and now I've kind of hit a wall and I've been eating some crap, but for weight loss it doesn't really matter. If you're eating less calories than you are burning then you will lose weight. I don't know why you are trying to stay away from grain. Whole grains are great for your body. White breads and rice and more processed grains, not so much. But even those you can have in moderation if it fits into your calorie goals. My diary is open if you want to look at it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!