Suitable to wear to a wedding?!

Options

Replies

• rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    I wore a cream three piece suit to my best friend's wedding as his best man at their request, with a shirt underneath in the accent color that the bridesmaids all had in their dress. Nobody said a word to me before or since, except how fabulous I looked and how brilliant it was to turn the whole thing on its head.

In the end, it completely depends on the people involved and why you're doing it. I've been told it's in poor taste, but in our case it was totally intentional and the bride not only knew, she thought it was an awesome idea.

=Betty=

You were part of the bridal party and they asked you to wear that colour. That would be like asking the best man to wear a kilt in a certain tartan/certain style and colour of suit etc.

It's different for a guest.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tried getting the picture to post for you, but it's not working for me either.

If it's that white lace dress, I would try to steer clear from wearing white to a wedding.

That's the biggest load of crap, because I'm wearing white to your wedding!!!!! xo
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would not wear the off white one to a wedding. Get the same dress though in the blue!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Add a dash of colour with a light summery scarf and a hat and it would be absolutely fine! It's a gorgeous dress, and I bet you'd looking stunning in it!
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't wear white to a wedding!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    As someone who is getting married this coming October, if another woman showed up at the wedding wearing white or a color close to it, I'd be offended. I'm the only one getting married at that location at that time...end of story. Brides aren't logical on their wedding day...we all have a vision for our weddings, and it involves us in the white dress.

I highly recommend finding a dress in another color...especially if you want to stay friends with those whose weddings you will be attending.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You'll always be the one who she tells her friends, 'She wore white to my wedding....'.

yup, exactly that. It's a gorgeous dress though, and yes perfect for warm weather... but i think this is one of those times that you have to put the other person first. someone else suggested getting it dyed, and if that's possible, then definitely get the dress it's fabulous.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I say the navy would be gorgeous... wearing white to a wedding if you aren't the bride used to be bad form (and in my opinion, it still is) however, it is happening more often in the summer. That said, I still wouldn't do it. Let the bride stand out in a light color. That dress is gorgeous though and go for it in the blue!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear it in white, too bridal-looking. I think it would be ok in another color, though. It's pretty.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you want to piss the bride off, go for it. You'll always be the one who she tells her friends, 'She wore white to my wedding....'.

I just wouldn't risk it, it's quite traditional that nobody should wear white to a wedding.

I agree with the other posts - either buy the cream one and dye it a different colour, or get the navy one xx

I hear what you are saying. Of the brides, 5 of them are some of my best friends so I can't imagine they would ***** about me like that though.

Personally, if she was one of my best friends - that would make me even more against wearing white. I would never ever dream of turning up in white/cream/off white to my best friend's wedding. Your friends as you say might not b!tch about you because they know and love you, but I'm guessing some of the other guests may have something to say.

And I agree with the other posts - in your pic you look AMAZING in Navy! You should definitely get the Navy :flowerforyou: x
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Why don't you just show the dress to the bride and see if she has a problem with it. Problem solved.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's a lovely dress, but I'd steer clear of white, ivory, or any of the like. You WILL annoy the bride, even if she doesn't say it out loud. ;) A pop of color with jewelry, the shoes, or a shawl would help if you decided on it. I prefer the dress in navy. ;)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    PS - you do look gorgeous in Navy! At least try it! But the style is very nice for summer.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As a bride, if someone wore this to my wedding I would be rip *kitten*. You can't wear that to a wedding. Wear it in Navy. The dress is gorgeous. But don't you date wear all white lace to a wedding. Nonetheless 6.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry. Great dress, but I'm in the 'don't wear white/cream' to a wedding. Especially with the lace, it's just too close to the special outfit that the bride will be in.

Ditto, you look gorgeous in navy and could wear it with pearl accessories, a cream and navy headpiece, cream shoes and wrap for a totally appropriate summer look.

On another matter - are you planning to wear the same dress to five different weddings? If so, I'd suggest a much plainer dress and lots of different coloured accessories.

Have fun!
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry. Great dress, but I'm in the 'don't wear white/cream' to a wedding. Especially with the lace, it's just too close to the special outfit that the bride will be in.

Ditto, you look gorgeous in navy and could wear it with pearl accessories, a cream and navy headpiece, cream shoes and wrap for a totally appropriate summer look.

On another matter - are you planning to wear the same dress to five different weddings? If so, I'd suggest a much plainer dress and lots of different coloured accessories.

Have fun!

No no not to all five weddings. It was just the first dress I liked when I was casually browsing!
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips & advice, and the lovely comments about me in navy. I admit I hadn't really noticed before... :)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies that it's a lovely dress, but I would not wear it in the white/ivory color to a wedding. It's not about being catty (as someone said) it's about the tradition of the bride being the only one wearing white/ivory on her special day and it would be nice to be respectful of that.

You are beautiful, so no matter what you wear, you will look great!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    lovely but the color is a huge no no, that's a guaranteed way to upset someone along the way, go with a different color and it's a winner :bigsmile:
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The brides are your friends. Ask them if they would be okay with it.