PALEO: Cavemen diet? W.rong

Options

Replies

• bananapancakebella
    Options

Quite rightfully so but I'd be interested in what you have read that leads you to believe it has no scientific reasoning? What books and online references etc have you read?

Books are secondary resources that are generally quite subjective, and online resources as a rule have little credibility (depending on the source, of course). Primary literature (i.e., peer-reviewed scientific articles published in journals) are the best source of credible, objective information. Do you know of any such articles that support a Paleo diet? (I'll be honest, I haven't looked - I'm just wondering what other people are basing their dietary choices on).

I haven't come across any, but then I must admit that I haven't been digging too hard for any. I suppose you could honestly say that my bias against the radical exclusion of food groups has made it so this isn't something that really piques my interest.

So don't eat this way.

For those of us who find it beneficial there's no need to knock it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Of course it's being judgemental. Your saying that my diet of protein, veg, fruit and fats is going to need monitoring and that I need luck?

Not sure but I think he's saying correlation =/= causation....AND LOL @ your sample size.

I didn't "LOL" at all. The point is simply that if someone is going to experiment with her diet then she should make make sure that she is carefully logging it and tracking her health. A physical helps with the latter and is a far more objective indicator than simply saying she feels better or worse. That said, she would also need to make sure she controls for other variables such as exercise and stress levels. And yes, if anyone does this then that is a sample size of one, which makes it rather difficult, if not impossible, to apply the results to others.

I don't understand, what is it about eating protein, veg, fruit and fats that you consider needs monitoring?? It's also been stated by many that its what works for your one body...I.e only needs to be for sample size of one- yourself. If pizza and beer works for you then all good but it doesn't work for me

In all honesty this isn't far off how I've eaten for years, I became intolerant to many foods over the last twelve years, I don't find it difficult to eat this way. It's not really an experiment unless you think the last twelve years of my life have been so.

No worries. I understand that you don't understand. If basic science can't be agreed upon then there really isn't much to discuss.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think this is interesting and I support the notion that 10000 years is definitely long enough for evolution, but it doesn't mean that we HAVE evolved to a different diet - only that we could. I found the information about cow's milk interesting. According to Zuk, only 35% of adults tolerate cow's milk, which is something that I have often wondered about. I think we would also find that most of us don't do so well on many of the enhanced wheat glutens either. These are two areas often scoffed at by nutritionists who work for the American or Canadian dietary associations, but are strongly held as knowns among the natural health fields. I, personally, feel a million times better when I don't consume wheat or dairy, but it is encouraged as part of a "healthy" lifestyle by both the Canadian and American food guides. That said, I like to focus my diet of fruits and vegetables, small amounts of meat (about 10% of my weekly calories) and nuts, seeds and legumes. If being "paleo" works for you and you feel good, do it. If you're getting the right balance of macro and micronutrients, then awesome! Who cares if its evolution or not?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Of course it's being judgemental. Your saying that my diet of protein, veg, fruit and fats is going to need monitoring and that I need luck?

Not sure but I think he's saying correlation =/= causation....AND LOL @ your sample size.

I didn't "LOL" at all. The point is simply that if someone is going to experiment with her diet then she should make make sure that she is carefully logging it and tracking her health. A physical helps with the latter and is a far more objective indicator than simply saying she feels better or worse. That said, she would also need to make sure she controls for other variables such as exercise and stress levels. And yes, if anyone does this then that is a sample size of one, which makes it rather difficult, if not impossible, to apply the results to others.

I don't understand, what is it about eating protein, veg, fruit and fats that you consider needs monitoring?? It's also been stated by many that its what works for your one body...I.e only needs to be for sample size of one- yourself. If pizza and beer works for you then all good but it doesn't work for me

In all honesty this isn't far off how I've eaten for years, I became intolerant to many foods over the last twelve years, I don't find it difficult to eat this way. It's not really an experiment unless you think the last twelve years of my life have been so.

Girl, now you are just talking CRAY-CRAY.

Protein, veg, fruit, fats? What works for you? Avoiding foods that make you feel like crap? Eating in a way you find EASY???

You poor thing!

Let me suffer with you.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

No worries. I understand that you don't understand. If basic science can't be agreed upon then there really isn't much to discuss.

Or you could answer the question?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Protein, veg, fruit, fats? What works for you? Avoiding foods that make you feel like crap? Eating in a way you find EASY???

You poor thing!

Let me suffer with you.

Ha ha I know, effortlessly remaining at low body fat with perfect blood tests etc eating real foods. I'm suffering terribly not eating pizza and drinking beer. You should feel very sorry for me :(

I really should seek help ;)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for caring what I eat...:noway:
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Oh, we're knocking diets again? Because Paleo is horrible, but eating generally lower calorie foods isn't. I mean, it's not like both are restricting foods or anything.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    [Off topic but...]

How on earth do many people learn anything (about anything) if they find something like this too long to read? Wow. Read!!!

eta: fixed typo
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Quite rightfully so but I'd be interested in what you have read that leads you to believe it has no scientific reasoning? What books and online references etc have you read?

Books are secondary resources that are generally quite subjective, and online resources as a rule have little credibility (depending on the source, of course). Primary literature (i.e., peer-reviewed scientific articles published in journals) are the best source of credible, objective information. Do you know of any such articles that support a Paleo diet? (I'll be honest, I haven't looked - I'm just wondering what other people are basing their dietary choices on).

I haven't come across any, but then I must admit that I haven't been digging too hard for any. I suppose you could honestly say that my bias against the radical exclusion of food groups has made it so this isn't something that really piques my interest.

I'm pretty much of the same mindset. Extremes of anything tend to raise my "woo-meter" into the red zone.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You poor thing!

Let me suffer with you.

Ha ha I know, effortlessly remaining at low body fat with perfect blood tests etc eating real foods. I'm suffering terribly not eating pizza and drinking beer. You should feel very sorry for me :(

I really should seek help ;)

The point is that there is no science behind the paleo diet. That statement has been met by anecdotes, shrill PMs and snarky comments. That usually indicates that there is no effective counter-argument. If you have something logical and well thought out to counter the OP, then I certainly would be interested in seeing it.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    [Off topic but...]

How on earth do many people learn anything (about anything) if they find something like this too long too read? Wow. Read!!!

Yeah, totally this also. It's a little alarming o_O
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think this is interesting and I support the notion that 10000 years is definitely long enough for evolution, but it doesn't mean that we HAVE evolved to a different diet - only that we could. I found the information about cow's milk interesting. According to Zuk, only 35% of adults tolerate cow's milk, which is something that I have often wondered about. I think we would also find that most of us don't do so well on many of the enhanced wheat glutens either. These are two areas often scoffed at by nutritionists who work for the American or Canadian dietary associations, but are strongly held as knowns among the natural health fields. I, personally, feel a million times better when I don't consume wheat or dairy, but it is encouraged as part of a "healthy" lifestyle by both the Canadian and American food guides. That said, I like to focus my diet of fruits and vegetables, small amounts of meat (about 10% of my weekly calories) and nuts, seeds and legumes. If being "paleo" works for you and you feel good, do it. If you're getting the right balance of macro and micronutrients, then awesome! Who cares if its evolution or not?

I agree that the part about dairy was interesting. For generations, my family has consumed dairy without any difficulty and often joke that it makes us as strong as bulls, yet many people have a complete intolerance to it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I feel so much better without grains, dairy and sugar in my body. I didn't have major reactions to them when I did eat them, but I had no idea how different I would feel without any of that in my body.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ugghhh for real.. bump for later.. maybe the weekend..
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I do not have a thorough understanding of the Paleo Diet. From the little I know of it, the emphasis of whole foods over processed foods is sensible on many fronts. But as a student of anthropology decades ago, to create a declaration on a generalization is flawed. Sustenance of the world's people across climatic regions of varied flora and fauna was as varied then as it is today--in fact a bit more varied, due to the absence of corporate manufacturing and distribution of foodstuffs.

The study of cultures around the world who persist on living closer to land or subsistence economy--foraging, hunting, growing their own food--shows a great variety. For example the Inuit still living traditionally consume a diet high in fat and low carbohydrates. Although Maasai are the classic cattle herders, in addition to meat another staple food is cheese curdled with urine. It is common across many traditional cultures that heavily consume meat, that the muscle is only one of the animal products consumed. Offal and blood are also important foods.

I recall a short anthropological film of the Tasaday. As a group they foraged for meal and members brought back to the group what they found. I recall seeing displayed on a large leaf these things that were to become part of a group meal. roots, succulent stems, a frog, insects. This diet appeared to rely heavily on plants and animal proteins represented a small percentage of their diet. Insects provide a meaningful source of protein for many people throughout the world who live closer to the land--even today.

Many raw-foodist make a claim that their diet represents a paleo diet. And there is variety among raw foodist: some who include raw meat; some who eat only raw plants of a wide variety; some who restrict themselves to fruit. Here again, is the problem of generalizing.

In sum, I cannot say that any claim to a paleo diet is wrong--it is just not universally right.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my paleo lifestyle, you might enjoy being a vegetarian or might enjoy eating healthy grains with your protein. Who cares? It's whatever works for the individual person. However, dairy does make me extremely ill when I decide to have some. I'd rather stay away from it rather than to have to take a pill so it doesn't make me vomit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

So those of us who do not follow a paleo diet must automatically exist on beer and pizza? Now who is being judgmental?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

So those of us who do not follow a paleo diet must automatically exist on beer and pizza? Now who is being judgmental?

No it was on his profile. I was only referring to him.