Do you eat a "proper" Sunday lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I no longer live with my family but when i did and the only time we do is when my brothers or older sister visit us. otherwise everyone kinda cooked their own and ate at different times (as im vegan, sister was vegetarian and parents are omnivores) so it was always easier to eat seperate things on seperate occasions

but yeah like once a month or so we used to all have a roast dinner together
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    We eat homemade at home all the time, and DH loves to do the cooking. However, my family (my extended family including my mom, siblings, my 2 aunts, all of my 1st cousins and my grandparents) gather every Sunday for a traditional Sunday meal (around 1:30/2:00). It's been like this forever and my grandpa makes something in the oven this time of year, and grills when it's nice. It's a really neat thing I would never take for granted, as I know a lot of families don't do this.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand people who claim they can't make a roast dinner, it's one of the easiest things if you ask me!

Roast dinner was one of the first things I ever cooked when I moved out of home, and I'd never been allowed to cook at my parents. Roast dinners are easy, it's just the timing you have to get right.

I think it's a shame that so many people don't sit down together to eat. It's too easy to eat it on your lap in front of the TV. It's good family time.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I love a good traditional Sunday meal. It might be brunch or dinner but I usually always try and make something nice that day.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We have dinner ( evening meal) sitting as a family every night.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am not British but the only time our family made it a point to treat weekend/Sunday lunches like they were any different from any other meal was back when we were regularly attending church, which ended when I was about 11 or so years old. We along with other members of our church would all go to a very nice Italian restaurant within walking distance of the church immediately following the ending of service and split a bunch of pizzas between all of us. It was rather nice.

After that ended we no longer saw a reason to treat Sunday lunches differently from any other meal of the day, and in our house everyone started preparing their own meals the moment they became old enough to use kitchen tools.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Only ever cook from scratch (hubby cooks during the week) and I cook Saturdays/Sundays and Sunday roast is a must, being West Indian will sometimes do Rice and peas (rice with red kidney beans) or mac and cheese, but always add roast potatoes (my daughter's favourite). I also can't understand why some people claim to not be able to cook a roast. I marinate meat night before, we love our seasoned joint! lol...
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have 4 kids (17,12,6 and 1)...seems like we always have activities...but MOST nights we have dinner as soon as hubby is home from work, around 5-5:30...we had to turn the "formal" dining room into a toy/family room for the kids long ago. We have a large island in the kitchen that we have 3 bar stools, then we squeeze a computer chair and another random chair along with the toddlers high chair around so we can all eat together. I would say we do this at least 4 nights a week. Saturdays are kind of a eat wherever/whatever day. We usually eat dinner a little earlier on Sundays...4ish.... That is the night we like to have some kind of pizza :)
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My family and I eat supper together every night, most times it's fresh cooked, meat/carb/veggie...that's how I was raised. Chicken, rice, veggie....steak, baked potatoe,salad. My husband and I along with our two children have always sat down to eat together, we're finding that as the kids are getting older it's an important time to talk about the day and what went wrong as well as what was good. Even when they were babies we ate together as a family. Couldn't imagine doing it any other way...except Friday cuz it's treat night and usually a movie to go with it!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My folks live right by our church so usually they invite us over after church and we do have a bit bigger meal. Sometimes I will bring something like a salad or something and my mom will cook a roast. But its usually a pretty full meal that day. I usually eat a lighter supper that night cuz of it. But Sunday I think is important to spend the time with the family.
  • shannonb1974
    shannonb1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My children are aged 7 15 and 21 and have always enjoyed a good family roast dinner, it's a good time to catch up socially and to share some good quality time together. My nana taught my mum to cook roast dinners, my mum taught me and my brothers and I taught my two eldest girls plus my husband how to cook a roast dinner. Cooking and looking after a house should be a rite of passage which gets passed down.I really don't understand to how we can loose so many family values , as well my children always use there manners and often give up seat on buses for older people. It boggles my little mind to what kind of society we will be living in, in 20 years time.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I'm home we always have a family sit down meal for dinner and Sunday after church. When I was last home- grilled tuna steak with grilled veggies and red potatoes and a salad! Even in HS when everyone was involved in UMPTEENMILLION things, my parents insisted on ONE day where we ate at the dinner table without distractions...kept us a close and in touch with things. Its something I use today and will pass down to my children!

In my apartment me and my fiance whenever we are together for dinner, its sit down at the table with TV OFF, radio playing... occasionally we eat in front of the TV but its a rarity and only on pizza & movie night. Last night stuffed veggie peppers!

I value quality time and although everyone is busier now, I think its important to have those times together!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No. There are only two of us ( husband and me) and we don't eat together very often.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i love the english sunday roast, yorkshire pud cooked around the meat roast spuds fresh veg, nothing like it, do i have it ummm no, not unless im with family. oh and for afters apple pie and custard .