People with long hair - how do you sleep at night?

Options

Replies

• leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    a loose plait.
    sometimes two, one above each ear!
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the hair?

I'm trying to find a way of containing it that doesn't leave me uncomfortable and doesn't result in me lying on it during the night and pulling my head into strange positions. So far, unsuccessful and the scissors are looking mighty attractive.

Hi, Draggonnade! You said you have sort of wavy hair? I found this awesome suggestion on Pinterest about naturally wavy/curly hair.

http://pinterest.com/pin/42010208996266327/ (let me know if you can't pull that up)

My hair is naturally curly and a little on the thick side, so I used part of an old sheet instead of a towel because it was less bulky and my hair didn't dry overnight with the towel. I actually really like the waves/curls I get from this, and it doesn't leave me waking up in the morning with tons of frizzies all over the place. Good luck! :)

Oooh, interesting. I may have a go next time I wash late at night. Thanks :)
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I leave it down. It doesn't bother me really. Sometimes my husband will roll over on it and pull on it, but to guard against that I pull it all across the pillow on the opposite side (going under my head.) Besides, we switch off on big/little spoon so I only have to worry about it on little spoon nights. :wink:
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do either a low loose ponytail or a braid, more because its so thick its hot then it is long
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Messy bun or french braid. There's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night when you're trapped by your hair.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Mine is about bra-strap length, so not super long. I generally am ok leaving it loose, but occasionally I will put it in a loose braid. I cannot stand to have it in a ponytail or bun, feels too tight to me even if I do it loosely, and I end up waking up with a headache which is NOT good for anyone around me lol...
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I braid my hair and pass out. My hair is mid back length.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to have mine in anything while I sleep. Just down and in my way;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Add me to the chorus of messy buns. Try to use something loose that won't pull on the hair and damage it. You might be ok if you've got thicker/courser hair but mine is fine so it can break easily under too much stress. I've got an old stretched out scrunchy that's just perfect.

I've been growing mine out for about a year now to donate (the big cut is this Frday!) and it's about down to my lower back. I think this is the longest I've had my hair grown out since I was in grade school!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My hair was waist length until a few months ago. I either put mine in the fashionable shaggy bun on top the head, or braided it right before bed. Both ways gave it a little wave the next day and kept me and the husband from sleeping wrapped up in hair.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I just sleep in a fit of rage with my hair sprawled out.

its not good.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have waist length very thick and curly hair. I tie it in a messy bun of ponytail right at the top of my head so it hangs down behind my pillow. Have to, otherwise the finace tends to roll over on it and give me a nasty wake up!
    I hear that. My ex used to tangle his fingers in my hair when he slept... yeah... wake up at 3am needing to pee & have to detangle THAT mess while he's still playing with it!!!

Grrrr..... :grumble:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Mine goes in a half-ponytail at the top of my head. My boyfriend (who has stunningly thick *kitten* length hair) does the braid and flips it over the pillow.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Medium long hair here, and I have to sleep on my side... I could never sleep in a ponytail or it'd be too uncomfortable. Then again, my hair isn't super thick -- my stylist says that it is thick, but the strand is fine. Whatever that means! LOL :smile:
  • newmangrrl
    newmangrrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep unless my hair is in a ponytail on top of my head. Except I do the half pull through method. I find that a bun can be too tight. It has to be at the top of my head or if I feel it in anyway on the back of my head, I have to fix it before I can sleep.
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options
    I take a shower at night because I work out at night, so I braid my hair before I go to bed. If not, it's jacked up and all over the place!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I usually just take mine off and hang it on my coat rack :)
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My hair is past my butt - I sleep with my eyes closed.
  • Tinman42
    Tinman42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Either a braid or ponytail....
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Hair is to my butt. I put it in a loose braid otherwise I swear it comes to life at night and tries to strangle me.