PALEO: Cavemen diet? W.rong

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to purchase the paleo approved whey protein just like the paleos did. Also, put BBQ sauce on your meats just like the paleos did.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to purchase the paleo approved whey protein just like the paleos did. Also, put BBQ sauce on your meats just like the paleos did.

Stone pots containing remnants of BBQ sauce have been found at various archeological digs. True story.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

:laugh: yeah, after a day of hunting from behind a desk....
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    All I can say is when I eat Paleo, I feel good and can maintain/lose weight, when I add grains, I feel like crap & rapidly gain weight, and when I eat PROCESSED foods, I feel horrible and rapidly gain weight....and I'd say most grains are extremely processed. I'd say by far, Paleo is whole foods based...you either kill it, or pull it out of the ground and eat it. Humans have NOT evolved into eating highly processed foods as you can see from all the obesity and health problems. So paleo or not, the main thing is highly processed foods and foods with ingredients that are more than 3 syllables are NOT good for you....so you can rag on paleo, but by far the problem with diet in America is foods that come out of a box or bag!!!! If you look at other countries, let's say Japan, they eat rice (a grain) and they are generally healthier than Americans. Also Italians eat Pasta, and generally healthier...so can we say, high stress, no sleep, processed foods are to blame? Hmmm think about it. But my thing: GO PALEO!

I shot a groundhog, wanna eat it. My rice and pasta come out of a bag and box.
    Eat what you want. but don't put a label on it. The label is just created for someone else to make money off of people who want a quick fix and want feel part of something "special" and/or "unique"
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    I feel like a lot of people have the wrong idea about this article, and it kind of shows you how offended people can get over nothing. This article isn't bashing the food in a paleo diet, and it isn't saying that there isn't any health benefits. This article is just pointing out the huge misinformation this cult has about how this is what cave men ate, and why blah blah blah, and how this is only what you should be feeding your body, because this is what cave men ate, and our body’s can't process today’s food. This diet really isn't anything new, it just has a new name with a few twists to it, and if it makes you happy to eat it, then eat it, just don't make up reasons why.

^this

Don't be silly - that would involve actually reading the article before deploying your pre-prepared rant.

tldr3.gif

ttttt.jpeg
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fascinating article. I don't know much about it. I have a friend who is interested in the paleo diet – not sure that she actually does it but I don't think so. Regardless, all I have really heard about it is from her. I will be very interested to go through all the feedback and see what everyone says when i get time. Thanks for posting.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Looking at the number of people who can't be bothered to read the article, I just know that Bill Hicks is spinning in his grave.

Good luck working at the Waffle Hut.

^^^ this :laugh:

Took me only few minutes to read the whole thing and I am glad I did! Great info!

I have not been a fan of Paleo, tried it, and was "over it" in a week :tongue:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Looking at the number of people who can't be bothered to read the article, I just know that Bill Hicks is spinning in his grave.

Good luck working at the Waffle Hut.

^^^ this :laugh:

Took me only few minutes to read the whole thing and I am glad I did! Great info!

I have not been a fan of Paleo, tried it, and was "over it" in a week :tongue:

I came to reply only to reiterate the sadness of the lack of reading. It is ~1200 words, I'm sure most of those who refused to read it read and typed over that in OMG, DFAQUE, LOL, COOL STORY BRO, INSERT FUNNY PICTURE comments. I weep for humanity.
  • charliesangel13
    charliesangel13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess for me it wasn't about eating a specific diet or following a fad. My husband and I were looking for answers to our crashes and cravings. The health benefits we have experienced have been a tremendous bonus and makes it worth the effort.

I no longer have teenage like acne, my cellulite is about 90% gone even though I still have weight to lose and I no longer have crashes. I don't get the shakes anymore when I'm hungry, and I can fast for an extended period of time like it's nothing. No afternoon crashes and the best part, no more headaches and depression-gone.

My husband who had chronic acid reflux, no longer get its, year round allergies all his life, no longer has them. No more breakouts, no more backaches and energy through the roof.

We're both sleeping better, too.

After 3 months, I can say that quality of life has improved. I've learned to cook and be creative in the kitchen.

Life is awesome!!

*edited for typos
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Good article. Easy read, informative, and not bashing the actual diet, merely questioning the premise based on anthropology and evolutionary evidence of adaptations in diet over the past 7000 years as opposed to the belief that there has been no evolution of the digestive system of humans in 10,000 years.

Don't care what other people eat. If it makes them feel good, then whatever. Yay, I guess. I won't be cutting things out that I enjoy. I won't be eating things that I don't enjoy.
  • Mom_4_More_Muscles
    Options
    Live and Let live..... :happy:

Just do what works for you. Experiment....growth is sometimes painful, sometimes exhilarating.

Peace.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Live and Let live..... :happy:

Just do what works for you. Experiment....growth is sometimes painful, sometimes exhilarating.

Peace.

That's far too logical for MFP! Get out of here!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Why do people work so hard to discredit and put down others for eating a certain way that might actually work for the people whom are utilizing said diet? I don't personally eat paleo, but if someone else wants to, and it works for them, then why put them down for it?

It's not bothering me any, and if they can stick to it, and actually lose weight, then that's all the better for them. I'm not about to tear anyone down for doing what works for them.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    The cave man diet worked well for them simply because you had to be in shape to have any meat in your diet and sometimes the tables got turned. You might be running away from being a meal... So yea, cavemen were in shape or didn't live.

JM
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I had to read it because I honestly didn't know much about the diet or the controversy.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of people have the wrong idea about this article, and it kind of shows you how offended people can get over nothing. This article isn't bashing the food in a paleo diet, and it isn't saying that there isn't any health benefits. This article is just pointing out the huge misinformation this cult has about how this is what cave men ate, and why blah blah blah, and how this is only what you should be feeding your body, because this is what cave men ate, and our body’s can't process today’s food. This diet really isn't anything new, it just has a new name with a few twists to it, and if it makes you happy to eat it, then eat it, just don't make up reasons why.

^this

True, but is was like, um 5 paragraphs, and apparently that's too long to read. :ohwell:

Yup because apparently everyone just wants everything summed up in nice little TL:DR sentences.

I wonder if they've ever picked up a book.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    [Off topic but...]

How on earth do many people learn anything (about anything) if they find something like this too long to read? Wow. Read!!!

eta: fixed typo

Its too long when much of the info is superfluous. When I read about a topic like this, I dont care about a background story or who wrote what previously. This isnt a Harlequin Romance novel.

Get to the freaking point already. It wasnt until the 7th paragraph where actually numbers were thrown around. And it was in regards to crickets and lactase persistence. Neither of which I CARE. This article asks more questions than it answers and really doesnt say anything to me me except the author questions the Paleo diet. So what? So do a lot of other people. It would probably be better if the author provided actual data to support the arguments other than the fact that people ate grain 30,000 years ago. Big deal.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Its too long when much of the info is superfluous. When I read about a topic like this, I dont care about a background story or who wrote what previously. This isnt a Harlequin Romance novel.

Get to the freaking point already. It wasnt until the 7th paragraph where actually numbers were thrown around. And it was in regards to crickets and lactase persistence. Neither of which I CARE. This article asks more questions than it answers and really doesnt say anything to me me except the author questions the Paleo diet. So what? So do a lot of other people. It would probably be better if the author provided actual data to support the arguments other than the fact that people ate grain 30,000 years ago. Big deal.

You forgot a TL;DR for the above.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    [Off topic but...]

How on earth do many people learn anything (about anything) if they find something like this too long to read? Wow. Read!!!

No; it was an abstract and was pretty damn concise. The author questioned notions of what people were presumed to be eating in the paleolithic era and how tolerances to various foods developed. Any fule kno the 'paleo' diet bears little resemblance to what paleolithic man actually ate.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    [Off topic but...]

It was *very* short, not even a full page if printed out. If you don't care about a topic that's fine, but to claim it was a novel is ludicrous. And I found it very interesting. Personally, I like to learn new things about human history. I read historical fiction too.