Need to increase my fat intake but don't eat nuts - help!

Options

Replies

• jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've replaced the creamer in my morning coffee with 1 Tbsp Coconut oil. It sounds like it would be gross but it brings out the flavors in the coffee (esp vanilla) and is the same consistency of adding creamer. I just drop 1 tbsp in my hot coffee and stir till disolves. I also use 2 packets of splenda.

I've read that cooking with coconut oil is acutally better for you then Olive oil. It's a solid so you just liquify it in water first.

Another health fat is avocado. I add 1/4 of it to my salads or sandwiches. Or sometimes I'll put a little lime, salt, and cilantro on half and eat that. There are tons of other recipes out there too. To save the other remainder I put a little lime or lemon juice and wrap tightly with saran wrap. This prevents it from browning and eat within the next 3 days.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eggs, dairy, red meat. (Grass fed is better if you can afford it.)

Cooking with oil is great too. Olive oil and Coconut oil are my favs. Even make a stir fry and add some sesame oil and sriracha. Mmmm.
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to not say something about the title of this post

Hahaha!

I agree with everyone else; eggs, fish, olive and coconut oil, butter, cheese, whole milk yogurt. Have you tried almond butter instead of eating nuts? Or natural peanut butter?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any other suggestions apart from oils? Currently I don't cook with oil (due to the healthy eating) but maybe I should start using more olive oil when I cook?

Cooking with oils is very tasty, but it's not a good way to get "healthy" fats because cooking oils changes their composition. Instead put olive oil on your salads. Or just eat olives!

Honestly though, I hear so many people always claiming to "hate" this or that entire group of foods. It's rubbish. Guess what, it's really not that hard to develop a taste for almost any kind of food if you want to. In your case, all you'd have to do is experiment with a few types of nuts until you find ones that you can semi-tolerate, and then eat a little bit reguarly. Pretty soon you'll find yourself liking more and more types of nuts! Even if you have to start out with roasted salted ones, it's still worth it in the end. You can switch to raw unsalted later.
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mmm hummus and avacado... so tasty.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Switch to full fat dairy. Dairy fat is healthy. And start stir-fying veggies in olive oil. That should help.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Switch to full fat dairy. Dairy fat is healthy. And start stir-fying veggies in olive oil. That should help.

What makes you say dairy fat is healthy?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Fish - Especially Salmon.
    Steak - Yes, red meat is OK if you eat in moderation.
    Pork - In moderation like steak.

Peanut Butter - I know you said you hate nuts, but it's peanut butter, who doesn't love it?
    Hummus
    Guacamole - I know you hate avocados, but it's Guac! Yum!
    Eggs
    Cheese - Fresh mozzarella is the best imo.

Saturated fats are fine. It's the trans fats you want to avoid. Don't go by the nutrition facts though. Companies can legally label foods as having 0 g trans fats even though it may still have 0.5 g or less. Avoid partially hydrogenate anything. Also, avoid deep fried food all together.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Does anyone have any other suggestions apart from oils? Currently I don't cook with oil (due to the healthy eating) but maybe I should start using more olive oil when I cook?

Cooking with oils is very tasty, but it's not a good way to get "healthy" fats because cooking oils changes their composition. Instead put olive oil on your salads. Or just eat olives!

Honestly though, I hear so many people always claiming to "hate" this or that entire group of foods. It's rubbish. Guess what, it's really not that hard to develop a taste for almost any kind of food if you want to. In your case, all you'd have to do is experiment with a few types of nuts until you find ones that you can semi-tolerate, and then eat a little bit reguarly. Pretty soon you'll find yourself liking more and more types of nuts! Even if you have to start out with roasted salted ones, it's still worth it in the end. You can switch to raw unsalted later.

Olives are gross.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting, and all the tips- I have the same problem! Trying to stay low in cals, but high in protiens/fats, and am apparently weird for not liking avocados, almonds/nuts, or bacon.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    another thing you could try is adding a little more meat or beans to your diet... that will help with both fat and protein which are needed! Try lean meats, like chicken breasts or fish (tuna is a great source).

Chicken, tuna and beans are all almost fat free. Quite confusing to recommend them as a fat source.

Something to remember with olive oil: it's about 120 calories per tablespoon! so if your are controlling your calories, don't go crazy with it. It's probably the most calorie dense food there is so if you do eat it make sure to measure it carefully.

Was saying to add them for a little extra protein and calories after looking at her diary (and was tagging onto my previous post which had the fat)...
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips. I eat stir fry a lot so I will definitely be buying some sesame/coconut oil to try with that and am even tempted to buy some different kinds of nuts to sample. Maybe I should just force myself to eat them, after all, I'd only need a few!

I have always used skimmed milk and low fat yoghurts thinking I'm being 'healthy' but I will start buying the full fat versions instead as let's face it, they do taste better :love: Have also added mozzerella to my shopping list to add to my lunchtime salad.

Thanks again!
  • lovelyshannon
    Options
    Nevermind..
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The fats in dairy are associated with a decreased risk of cancer, for starters.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    olive oil is fine to use for cooking. butter also.

This... Use olive oil or another good oil when cooking or as part of a dressing recipe. Eat avocados... eat fish if you like it. Switch to full fat cheeses, milks, yogurts, dressings, creams,etc. If you don't want to eat nuts what about nut butters?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil. It's healthy. You can use it for cooking
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    flax seeds :) they are a good choice for healthy fat
    They are inexpensive.
    You only need a tiny amount to get what you are missing.
    You can buy them whole or ground crushed or flavored.
    I love the garlic ones on just about anything!
    Ground flax is delicious in salad.

If you were to only put a pinch or ground flax you wouldn't even notice it.
    Can add that too anything! Spaghetti sauce, smoothies...

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There is evidence that risk of colon cancer risk is decreased, but evidence that others such as prostate and ovarian are increased. And some evidence that too much dairy fat in premenopausal women can increase risk of breast cancer. None of the evidence is strong enough to be conclusive. And there is evidence that too much dairy fat may increase risk of heart disease.

While I wouldn't consider dairy fat "unhealthy", I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say it's "healthy". Though I suppose that depends on how one defines a "healthy food". Since most nutrition experts put it in the "eat in moderation" category it wouldn't meet my definition.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Fish - Especially Salmon.
    Steak - Yes, red meat is OK if you eat in moderation.
    Pork - In moderation like steak.

Peanut Butter - I know you said you hate nuts, but it's peanut butter, who doesn't love it?
    Hummus
    Guacamole - I know you hate avocados, but it's Guac! Yum!
    Eggs
    Cheese - Fresh mozzarella is the best imo.

Saturated fats are fine. It's the trans fats you want to avoid. Don't go by the nutrition facts though. Companies can legally label foods as having 0 g trans fats even though it may still have 0.5 g or less. Avoid partially hydrogenate anything. Also, avoid deep fried food all together.

Besides, peanuts are technically legumes!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

There is evidence that risk of colon cancer risk is decreased, but evidence that others such as prostate and ovarian are increased. And some evidence that too much dairy fat in premenopausal women can increase risk of breast cancer. None of the evidence is strong enough to be conclusive. And there is evidence that too much dairy fat may increase risk of heart disease.

While I wouldn't consider dairy fat "unhealthy", I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say it's "healthy". Though I suppose that depends on how one defines a "healthy food". Since most nutrition experts put it in the "eat in moderation" category it wouldn't meet my definition.

It just goes to show you that there's probably a study for everything when it concerns risk factors for cancer. I read one that said the opposite. Here is an interesting link with all sorts of studies. :http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/#fats-and-cancer

Here's an excerpt:
    Breast Cancer

By the early 1980s, most nutrition experts believed that dietary fat was a major cause of breast cancer. (45,46) This thinking was largely based on international comparisons showing higher breast cancer rates in countries with higher per capita fat intake. But such comparisons are very broad in nature. As more detailed studies were performed over the next couple of decades, the apparent link between total fat intake and breast cancer has faded. (47) The Women’s Health Initiative Dietary Modification Trial, which was specifically designed to examine the effect of a low-fat diet on the development of breast cancer, showed similar rates of breast cancer in women eating a low-fat diet and in those eating a “regular” diet. (10) One recent study from the National Institutes of Health–AARP Diet and Health Study found a very weak positive association between fat and postmenopausal breast cancer, (48) but when combined with the many other studies detailed above, the overall evidence does not support a relationship between total fat intake and breast cancer.