Protein Powders/ Shakes

Options
lTlasha
lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
I was just wondering if any of you drink protein shakes after you work out?? I am realizing that I am low on my protein intake everyday and thought this would be a good way to boost my amounts and help me recover after working out . Also, I was wondering what I should be looking for when I go to buy myself some. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• breeziepink
    Options
    If your not hitting your calorie goal, I would suggest to try protein bars or a protein shake. Just watch the sugar intake on those. Some of them protein shakes can be very very high in sugar
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Atkins has a line of shakes and protein bars! www.atkins.com
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    also, if you are having trouble making your protein goals try arnold double protein bread, special k protein plus cereal, and special k k2o protein packets in your water. also obviously chicken, turkey and fish help too....
  • Nikki_Marz
    Nikki_Marz Posts: 35
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way for me to recover from a workout, and I use them regularly.
    I can't stomach them plain (in water or milk...most are so chalky it takes a lot of effort for me to get them down), so I personally use a scoop of the protein powder and blend it into a fruit smoothie.
    I don't know all the details on the different kinds of protein powders but was told that whey 'isolate' is one of the best to look at. Also compare caloric intake (most are 170-200 calories per scoop) but the fat and carb contents vary. Because I drink mine in smoothies I get plenty of carbs there so I look for low carb and low fat powders.
    It really will depend on how you want to drink it, if its just in plain water then more carbs will be better because it'll give you that extra energy immediately while the protein is slower to digest. If you want to drink it in milk, milk has enough fat that you don't need one with a lot of fat calories, etc. If you really don't know, try and find one that falls into the middle with everything.

A lot are hit and miss with taste, and many people I know either just suck it up or go through several different kinds and flavors to find some that are tolerable...
    Good luck!
  • lTlasha
    Options
    If your not hitting your calorie goal, I would suggest to try protein bars or a protein shake. Just watch the sugar intake on those. Some of them protein shakes can be very very high in sugar

I do hit my calorie goal daily, I just seem to be more over in the fat and not at my goal for my protein.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I use the biggest loser sponsored one Whey Protein in chocolate. 50 calories 1 fat 6 proteins. you know what a great source of protein is "Chobani" greek style yogurt, non fat 140 calories and the protein is something like 14 or 15 grams.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I use the biggest loser sponsored one Whey Protein in chocolate. 50 calories 1 fat 6 proteins. you know what a great source of protein is "Chobani" greek style yogurt, non fat 140 calories and the protein is something like 14 or 15 grams.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology as a recovery drink.
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i've used two proteins pretty regularly. I used to use the EAS Whey protein. That was early on before I really got into working out like I am now. It tasted ok but the main selling point for me was price, like $15 dollars for a giant jug at target. Then after coming on here and reading i switched to BSN Syntha-6. its a lot more expensive but i've seen better results from it and it tastes a million times better than the EAS brand stuff. I've also used Muscle Milk but found that it has a little higher fat content and really designed more for when your attempting to build massive amounts of muscle. It's tastes prettty good tho.
  • lTlasha
    Options
    I went out today and bought Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Triple Chocolate Shake. The taste isn't so bad and so far I am feeling very full after my work out than anyother time before. I am now thinking about going ahead and buying some type of protein bar for when I am on the run and don't have the time to make the shake.

Thank you guys for all your input, it really helped me when I went and looked at all the different choices.

Once again, thanks!!!