How often do you need to lift?

Options
Hi all!
I'm slowly being persuaded that lifting weights is the way to go for fat loss/general awesomeness. My question is how often should you lift a week for effectiveness? Going to the gym is a bit of a logistical nightmare for me and I can get in cardio at home.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    All you really need is 30-45 minutes three times a week. Try a program like 5/3/1. My lifts tripled in four months on it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its suggested to lift about 3x a week. You can pick up some weights or resistance bands if you prefer to workout at home.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and experience.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy enough you don't really need to hit each body part more than once a week, so you could work out your whole body in a couple sessions a week. Most suggest 3x a week and they split the body up into workout sessions like

Day 1 Back Biceps abs
    Day 2 Chest Shoulders Triceps
    Day 3 legs

But how often depends on your rep range and intensity. Are you lifting to failure? Are you doing high reps (greater than 12), moderate reps (8-12, body building), or low reps (1-7, power lifting, strength training). The less reps you do the more rest you will probably need between sessions.

Also, your age will be a factor in determining how long you need to recover. The older you get the more rest time you will need.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    3x would be perfect...ChaLean Extreme has a great home program on dvd.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey, star. Implicit in your question is that there is some minimum amount of resistance training that needs to be done to get meaningful results. I have every confidence that you'll find it isn't true.

Consider this: if you're currently not resistance training, but you start doing bodyweight exercises, like push-ups, air squats, and toe touches, you'll see results. If you start deadlifting, bench pressing, and squatting, at 10% intensity, you'll see results. If you perform these exercises at 90% intensity, you'll see results. If you do them once a week, you'll see results. If you do them seven days a week, you'll see results. Your results will depend on your physical/athletic ability, psychological makeup, hormonal profile, whether you perceive the stress from your workouts as good or bad, and your ability to recover. All of these things are dynamic and can change from minute to minute. I'd say, then, that you'd do well to be guided by your judgment and schedule.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Twice a week is a minimum. Lifting once a week may work for the first short while, but you will stop making progress quite quickly and you'll be just as sore at each workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    3-4 times per week. 2 can get you by tho.

Assuming you have a smart phone, there is an app call You Are Your Own Gym that is like 3 bucks. You can use that to do bodyweight exercises around your home. Try downloading that to get started. The app is from a book that's worth checking out as well.
  • shiracera
    Options
    This was a question I had myself so thanks for all of the great info guys
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
  • TurquoiseSky
    TurquoiseSky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I was curious too.

Okay, so say I aim for 2 or 3 strength training workouts per week.... each composed of lifting until failure (3 sets of 8 reps OR 4 sets of 6 reps). How many different combinations/types of strength training exercises is recommended?

I usually do the above for:
    - Seated Row
    - Fly
    - Shoulder Press
    - Leg Extensions
    - Leg Curl

Thinking of adding leg press, too. Do you think 2-3 sessions of 5-6 sets is a good target?
  • TurquoiseSky
    Options
    Bump!
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I aim for 3x per week, and I don't split my workouts. I'm loosely following New Rules of Lifing for Women, but with a modified program right now due to a few goals set out by my physiotherapist. My long version comes in just under an hour, a shorter version can be done in 30 min.

Deadlift
    Squats
    Lunges
    Row
    Bench Press
    Woodchopper
    Push ups/triceps (based on mood)
    Plank

I do cardio at the gym, too, so then I sometimes add a short run if I don't think I can get in again. Weights are my priority.
  • starrgrrl
    Options
    I have zero experience and ability to be honest, even when I was a gym member (for about 2 weeks 2 years ago) I stuck to the treadmill and bike (booooring!!!) I don't think I've lifted anything heavier then my handbag.
    Are resistance bands worth while? I have one that I've used with the wii active.
  • TurquoiseSky
    Options
    I aim for 3x per week, and I don't split my workouts. I'm loosely following New Rules of Lifing for Women, but with a modified program right now due to a few goals set out by my physiotherapist. My long version comes in just under an hour, a shorter version can be done in 30 min.

Deadlift
    Squats
    Lunges
    Row
    Bench Press
    Woodchopper
    Push ups/triceps (based on mood)
    Plank

I do cardio at the gym, too, so then I sometimes add a short run if I don't think I can get in again. Weights are my priority.

Thanks for the info! Looks like a great lineup.
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ^^ Thanks TurquoiseSky. I just started *really* lifting weights in mid January (well, end of December but then we got the flu and I was flat out for two weeks). I aim for heavy weights, don't go to failure but keep something on hand as I don't have a spotter, and usually do 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

My squats have gone from starting at 45lbs (bar only) to 125lbs in two months. I'm trying to keep good form while also pushing and experimenting and keeping my body guessing. My deadlift stalled out at 115, but I recognize I'm doing it as part of a heavy rotation.

In the first month of lifting I lost 1% body fat (my gym offers body analysis once a month for free). I could see the difference, but I actually ended up going up 5lbs at week 5 I believe due to water retained for recovery and body shifting. I just kept at it and then lost 10lbs in ten days. I don't expect that to happen again, but it was a really nice payoff!
    I have zero experience and ability to be honest, even when I was a gym member (for about 2 weeks 2 years ago) I stuck to the treadmill and bike (booooring!!!) I don't think I've lifted anything heavier then my handbag.
    Are resistance bands worth while? I have one that I've used with the wii active.

I'm new to weights, too. I used to dabble in them at my old gym - but now I'm using New Rules to really get me into a different mindset with weights. I lift heavy right now and that is challenging me, so for what I'm doing I wouldn't be using bands. I use dumbbells (20lbs x 2 for lunges and chest press) and barbells (ranging from 75lbs to 125lbs right now). I also use the pulley machine for a few moves.

Youtube has awesome clips of all the big moves. Idea being that rather than doing something that will only work a single area, do big moves that work the whole body. I was able to get New Rules of Lifting from the library until I knew it was right for me (then asked for it for Christmas).
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    All you really need is 30-45 minutes three times a week. Try a program like 5/3/1. My lifts tripled in four months on it.

what does 5/3/1 mean?
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week is more then enough for weights and you want to take it easy unless you want to build really obvious muscle.
    Alot of women are looking more for tone and fat burning.
    If that is you try more repetitions of smaller weights over heavier.
    Also to get a real impact make sure that the motion of lifting is done slowly.
    A common mistake people make is to power life "look how fast I can go!" you want to feel the weight. You want that effort.
    Don't do anything that hurts! I don't mean that awesome FEEL THE BURN I mean HURT.
    Good luck I hope you have fun and feel amazing!