Normal BMI

Options
I weighed in at 154.6 today putting me at a 25 BMI. I know this is at the top of the normal range, but its in the normal range!!! Just feeling excited over that this morning so thought I would share. Does anyone else track their BMI?

Replies

• katstorm27
    Options
    Congrats!!! I look at mine every once in awhile :bigsmile:
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Congrats! That is so exciting! I don't really track my BMI but my goal is to be at the top of my healthy BMI range!! Can't wait until I can post a similar post!!

Congrats!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I can't wait to get back there :smile: I'm proud!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I laugh at my BMI,,, I'm one of the freaks who it doesn't work for. Congratulations on your progress. :laugh:
  • poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't normally check mine very often but I did yesterday and and I hit 29!! JUST enough to get me into the top end of the normal range. I was at 32 for FOREVER so that was really nice to see that I finally crossed the line like a "normal" person hehehe
    It's probly good to check it from time to time just to make yourself feel a lil better =)
  • crystalpistolball
    Options
    Even if it is a faulty standard for weight maintenance, it still feels good to be "normal" again!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Yep I check mine too and am looking forward to getting there!
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    mine is at 26.21.... i'm getting there!! :o)
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    Congrats! I track my bmi as well, ... as of now I'm still in the overweight range! I have about 4 more pounds to go to be at 25. Can't wait! You must feel great to have reached that!
  • CasperO
    Options
    I am 5'8" tall and weigh 202 pounds. My chest is 12 inches larger than my waist. I have abs. I am now 13% bodyfat, which qualifies as "fit" or "athletic". I'm very happy and proud, I've worked hard for this.

My BMI is 30.7. I am Obese. :huh:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The most accurate BMI reading I get is from the handheld body fat % thing I do at the gym every 30 days... so I watch it then but only then 'cause I know the online calculators aren't taking into account anything other than my height, weight, age, etc. and not my lean muscle mass and other things. But yeah, I guess I track it! :happy:

I can't wait to get to a healthy BMI. Even if it's not as accurate, it's just another goal for me to strive for!
  • shoequeen9
    Options
    I track mine when I do my weekly weigh-in and just hit 24.8 myself this morning - I am finally under 150 pounds for the first time in MANY years! Congrats to you AND me :smile:
  • valadilene
    valadilene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy who was 5'8 and 190.. and was also considered 'obese' Casper, according to the BMI.

You could wash your clothes on this guys abs.. and he could probably crack a walnut in the bend of him arm just by flexing

Alas.. the BMI is not for those with muscle. Mine is 23, which is almost at the top of normal for my height.. but It should probably read closer to 21 or 22 given how muscular my lower body is..

but hey, for those not built with lotsa of muscles, or not doing a lot of strength training, its nice to see that number drop
  • CasperO
    Options
    BMI is exactly what is says it is. It is "Body Mass Index". Basically a ratio of your weight to your height. Mine is very high because I have a massive body, very thick and heavy. This is perfectly accurate and I have no quarrel.

Where BMI falls down is when the adjectives get applied. "Overweight" is a relative term, it means you're very heavy for your height with the obvious connotation that you're overfat. "Obese" is more of the same - extremely heavy for your height with a strong connotation that you're carrying a ton of fat. Well that's not always the case. Some of us are very heavy for our height 'cause we're built like oxen and can deadlift a chevy.

There's a disclaimer on every BMI chart. I'm the guy the disclaimer is talking about. We're out there,
  • crystalpistolball
    Options
    Awesome, you'll be there soon. :smile:
  • crystalpistolball
    Options
    Yay!!:flowerforyou: Everyone has their own mini goals. Its great to meet them.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Woot Woot!!! I am very happy for you. :bigsmile:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! That must be a wonderful feeling!!! *hugs* to you!! XoxoxoX Bru
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    BMI is exactly what is says it is. It is "Body Mass Index". Basically a ratio of your weight to your height. Mine is very high because I have a massive body, very thick and heavy. This is perfectly accurate and I have no quarrel.

Where BMI falls down is when the adjectives get applied. "Overweight" is a relative term, it means you're very heavy for your height with the obvious connotation that you're overfat. "Obese" is more of the same - extremely heavy for your height with a strong connotation that you're carrying a ton of fat. Well that's not always the case. Some of us are very heavy for our height 'cause we're built like oxen and can deadlift a chevy.

There's a disclaimer on every BMI chart. I'm the guy the disclaimer is talking about. We're out there,

You are the disclaimer indeed! Mama warned me I'd meet boys like you....:laugh: That's great that you can maintain such a high level of fitness - nice work.

Seriously though, for people who are overweight, with a much higher percentage of body fat then is healthy, the BMI is a good starting point for them. Clearly, an unfit person with a BMI of 30+ is obese while a muscular/body builder type is not. However I think in the OP's situation, it was a case of the former and we should be very proud of her for her acheivement! :flowerforyou:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    How exciting!!! I don't track BMI because it is just depressing at this point... but I do know the weight I have to be to be "overweight" and so I'm sure I'll start keeping track more once I hit that and only have 30ish pounds to lose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!