Cardio vs Weight Training

Options
hmaer6
hmaer6 Posts: 11 Member
So I decided to start a new topic, since the last got a little off track.

There does not seem to be concensus on this issue of which is better, other than that a combination is needed. I am looking for the best combination for someone who has a weight loss goal of about 20 punds and would like to tone up. I ask because I was in the best shape I had ever been in after having my daughter 3 years ago. Flash forward 2 years and I now weight 25 pounds MORE than my post-pregnancy weight. Weird, I know.

In any case, I am wondering if there are those out there who have acheived a weight loss goal of around 20-30 pounds and how you achieved it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 pounds with diet, cardio and things like Shred it with Weights. I wish, wish, wish I could go back and lift heavy from day 1. I am skinny fat, and now working on the frustrating process of losing the last bit of fat. I gained at Christmas, only some of it muscle, and am not "cutting" again. I know some of it is genetics, and it's really just belly fat that I have an issue with, but I do think I'd have less of an issue if I'd lifted heavier earlier, I think some of my loss was from muscle, even doing the "strength training" I was with the lighter weights/higher reps.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a general consensus for people in the know.

Cardio is fine, but weight training would rank higher in importance if you're looking to improve your body composition.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I lost 20 lbs doing mostly yoga and steady-state (cycling) cardio. I was NOT skinny fat, and was very happy with my body composition which was lean and toned. In the past 9 to 10 months, I've lost a little more than 16 lbs doing heavy (for me) strength training, mostly HIIT for cardio, with some steady-state, and always finishing with either yoga or an athletic stretch. And to be quite honest, even though I've dropped to a size 2/4 and I'm pleased with the results, I was happier with my body composition 10 years ago. But that could simply be due to the aging process. IMO, the smartest route is to pick something you enjoy doing, with no dread factor, because you will be more likely to make it part of your daily routine. Consistency is the key, IMO.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ilovedeadlift is 100% correct. During the summer of 2011, I used this site to track my calories and performed resistance training almost exclusively. Sure, I included 1-2 low-mod intensity"cardio" sessions/week but I didn't rely on them for weight/fatloss and I lost fat in all the areas I needed/wanted to and protected the muscle I already had.

Here's how I view it now:

Nutrition/Diet = weight/fatloss
    Resistance Training = bodyshape
    Cardio = For heart & lung health (it's called "cardiovascular exercise" for a reason)
  • shadowgem13
    shadowgem13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So what would be a good, solid strength training routine for someone who is just starting out? What kinds of workouts? How many days per week etc?
  • hmaer6
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I will continue my exercise plan with about half cardio and half weight, but try and increase the amount of weights, and add an extra day at the gym. I work out 4 times a week, sometimes twice a day, but maybe 3 days off is just too much.

On that note, any diet plans that you guys are fond of? I've been trying to cutback on carbs and watch the overall calorie intake. It is a slow process and by far the hardest part for me.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful answers. I think I will continue my exercise plan with about half cardio and half weight, but try and increase the amount of weights, and add an extra day at the gym. I work out 4 times a week, sometimes twice a day, but maybe 3 days off is just too much.

On that note, any diet plans that you guys are fond of? I've been trying to cutback on carbs and watch the overall calorie intake. It is a slow process and by far the hardest part for me.

For me, I was around 20 lbs overweight and before I changed anything diet wise, I spent a couple weeks tracking my calories before I made any changes. It was pretty easy to see what I needed to change from that point. Normally, I didn't eat any breakfast, would eat some sodium/fat laden fast food type lunch and a moderately healthy dinner.

For the most part, I lost that 20 lbs by eating something for breakfast, and replacing my awful for me lunch with something healthy (a salad, a greek yogurt, granola, some type of small amount of protein).

Figure out what you're doing wrong before you change things up.
  • hmaer6
    Options
    Thank you. According to fitpal, its too many sugars. Perhaps I need healthier snacks and some good ol fashioned meal planning.