What's the best bread?

Options
I love bread. I want bread. That said, what bread to get? I remember years ago I got weight watchers bread at 40 calories a slice, it was terrible.

Have you found a decent, low calorie bread?

Replies

• fitmelinda7
    fitmelinda7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i like the Sara Lee brands ...I found them at Wal-Mart
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a hearty bread than one that is low cal. My favorite is Kroger's Wholesome Harvest 9 Grain and Seed. I had to figure the calories per slice and came out to about 113...and better yet, it keeps my blood glucose level more steady than any of the "off the shelf" breads. Or, if you have a Great Harvest Bakery around...their Dakota bread is also good.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    For daily stuff (toast, mostly--I rarely eat sandwiches) I like Aunt Millie's Fiber for Life Reduced Calorie Multigrain. Tastes pretty good, 80 calories per slice.
  • _OMGina_
    _OMGina_ Posts: 4
    Options
    The healthiest bread is called Ezekiel and its made of sprouted grains. That being said, its not the most moist, delicious "bread" bread, if you know what I mean, but it is a complete protein and has all easy-to-pronounce ingredients. Good luck with your bread search! :)
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    I really like the Ezekial sprouted grain breads. They make really good toast (especially the cinnamon raisin). 80 calories per slice, I believe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I really like the Ezekial sprouted grain breads. They make really good toast (especially the cinnamon raisin). 80 calories per slice, I believe.
    If I'm gonna eat bread it's ezekiel. Definitely.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Something that is freshly baked that day and def not something that is found in the frozen foods aisle. I'm looking at you Ezekiel bread
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Something that is freshly baked that day and def not something that is found in the frozen foods aisle. I'm looking at you Ezekiel bread

Wait, why is ezekiel bread with the frozen foods?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    problem with bread is the glycemic index. pretty much anything made of grain that tastes good has a high GI. so your left with eziekiel bread lol.

Supposedly more exotic grains such as spelt haven't been selectively bread over thousands of years to be more refined... so thier glycemic index is lower. i suppose maybe they have more fiber.

i've heard that there are recipies to making your own low GI bread but i've never tried it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

because they don't add perservatives so it has to be frozen if its going to last more then a week or so lol
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

because they don't add perservatives so it has to be frozen if its going to last more then a week or so lol

It's never frozen at Trader Joes, it's always with the regular bread. Weird.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeh, that's a bread substitute. I don't know why people keep calling it bread.
    I just make my own fresh bread. Whole grain, rye and gasp, even french white some times...
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I bought the Sunbeam Light Wheat yesterday. It was very soft also, tasted great and 80 calories for 2 slices.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Mine has never been frozen at Trader Joes, it's always with the regular bread.

idk if its really in the frozen foods section. i just know they have less or no perservatives and my mom keeps it in her freezer lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    either you think bread is the devil or you don't.

if you don't, just eat what you like and make sure it fits into your calorie profile.

if you do and you still don't want to give it up: prepare for a big let down in taste or research how to make your own low GI bread.
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Heiners 35 calorie bread...yummmm
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I got low cal bread for awhile (I think it was 40 cals a slice, Sara Lee) but it was way too dry for toast. I would actually choke on it sometimes. I switched to oatmeal bread, which is 110 calories and is at least twice is good. I just only have one slice now instead of two.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    either you think bread is the devil or you don't.

if you don't, just eat what you like and make sure it fits into your calorie profile.

if you do and you still don't want to give it up: prepare for a big let down in taste or research how to make your own low GI bread.
    Why is it black or white? I like bread, but prefer mine with fewer mystery ingredients and more quality ingredients. Ezekiel tastes fabulous and IS bread.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    If you are looking for flavor and moist-itude, go for potato bread, 90 cals a slice :)

its probably not the healthiest for you but it was less calories than the honey wheat i was buying and cheaper than the super-di-duper lots of grain bread.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grains, Powerseed, Good Seed, or Sprouted Wheat.

There is even ~light bread, and thins.