How to Dress for your Body...

Options
_Khaleesi_
_Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
... anyone master this art form? I've been hiding in hoodies and jeans my whole life. I finally am ready to look the best I can at the size I am now. But I have no idea where to start. The looks that I like are on skinny people! That doesn't transfer all that well...

Tips? Tricks? Sighs of agreement? lol

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    It's easier to start with the look you'd like to re-create specifically instead of just rattling off general tips (at least for me).
    I wear higher-rise jeans to come over my belly because I hate the feeling of my rolls hanging over my pants when they're low rise. It maybe isn't the sexiest, but it evens out my shape and makes shirts look nicer on me. If you find a stretchy pair, they can be plenty comfortable, too.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yep either I wear a suit or nothing at all.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Do you have some looks in mind that you want advice on?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    accentuate your best features and nothing too form fitting or tight in areas you do not want accentuated. i.e. if your chest and rear are your best features, wear things that draw the eyes to those areas and away from areas you are less happy with.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Watch "What Not to Wear", they have people with all different shapes on that show.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Let me go get the expert....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I just wear spandex all the time.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    What do you want to do? All you've said is that you are tired of hoodies.

A brief look at your profile pictures suggests that you have a fairly good idea of how to accentuate your figure.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bumping for responses from the op
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What do you want to do? All you've said is that you are tired of hoodies.

A brief look at your profile pictures suggests that you have a fairly good idea of how to accentuate your figure.

^^ This ^^

Looks like you are doing a fine job of it already.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Mmmm men in Suits
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    it all depends on what parts of your body you want to draw attention to or draw attention away from.
    like for me i have big hips, so i always wear items of clothing that hides my hips and draw attention to my more blessed features on my body. its all about illusions!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    There is a good bit of information needed. I worked retail clothing for years for Lane Bryant. You first have to know what style you would like to have. Do you want high fashion, trendy, vintage glam, sporty, sophisticated, polished, country, punk, ect (there is a lot out there.) Then you take an honest assessment in the mirror. What are your best features? What would you like to minimize/maximize. Clothing helps create an illusion of the ideal shape. The idea is to create an hourglass but depending on your starting shape this means emphasizing a different portion of your body. Do you like your height or do you wish you were shorter/taller. The length of your neckline, sleeves and inseam and rise can help achieve this part of the illusion. The right color can highlight skin eyes and hair. Also never neglect the role good under garments play. A good bra can make you look 10lbs thinner and a poorly placed panty line can make your rear look 10lbs heavier.
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    There is a good bit of information needed. I worked retail clothing for years for Lane Bryant. You first have to know what style you would like to have. Do you want high fashion, trendy, vintage glam, sporty, sophisticated, polished, country, punk, ect (there is a lot out there.) Then you take an honest assessment in the mirror. What are your best features? What would you like to minimize/maximize. Clothing helps create an illusion of the ideal shape. The idea is to create an hourglass but depending on your starting shape this means emphasizing a different portion of your body. Do you like your height or do you wish you were shorter/taller. The length of your neckline, sleeves and inseam and rise can help achieve this part of the illusion. The right color can highlight skin eyes and hair. Also never neglect the role good under garments play. A good bra can make you look 10lbs thinner and a poorly placed panty line can make your rear look 10lbs heavier.

Agree with everything here!! :)
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hate the thought of this topic. I'm not there yet, but started going to different online stores to look at Men's clothes, and they all look like underfed anorexic models (yup, the mens section, not the womens) I guess this is the new trend?

I may have to stick to LL Bean/Nautica/Eddie B etc when I don't do suits.

Good luck on finding something amazing, although I'm sure it won't be that hard for you!
  • raandelle
    raandelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    an amazing place to shop is forever21. they carry ALL of the trendiest clothes, but have a section called faith21 for those girls that are larger and can not fit into the size -0. they also have amazing prices.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Come to my small town...apparently spandex and skintight tank tops are in style for 300# women....
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Suit Up!!

Just for me, its more about buying cloths that are closer to my fit then the traditional baggy cloths I have been used to, smaller shirts, etc instead of the bigger flowing kind of stuff to more tighter stuff.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Wear clothes that fit IE: not too tight or too baggy.

You are going to have to try stuff on... like everything on, and once you find stuff you feel happy with, then buy it.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Wear clothes that fit IE: not too tight or too baggy.

THIS! Great piece of advice.