Would anyone like to look at my diary / give me some advice?

Options
Hi all,

Hope you all well.

I am stalling in my weight loss (in fact, gained a couple of pounds last few weeks). I'm getting quite near the point of maintenance so not too strict these days but I am really trying to continue pushing with exercise (as I do really enjoy it) and trying to get lean and toned. I recently completed Jillian Michaels 30ds and sometimes do this for fun as I do miss her...:wink:

Exercise routine - I try to do 2/3 classes of Boxercise, Zumba, cicruit a week (if my work pattern will allow. 1/2 sessions at the gym (doing about 15mins of cardio and 30 mins strength/sit ups and squats etc). I wear a hrm to monitor what I burn - usually that is from 400-600 cals per workout or less with 30ds.

The bit where it goes wrong is with my diet I think.I do have a sweet tooth and I am a snacker too (lethal combination, I know :blushing:) I have to admit I get confused with the whole net calories and what I should be having on a workout day :blushing: That is even with reading up on here. I have a BMR of 1407.45. Using the Harris Benedict Equation I work out that I should be aiming for 1682 calories. I have been sometimes being under and sometimes waay over.

I'm 28 (nearly 29). 5'5 female. I currently weigh 133lbs. I am becoming more taken with measurements than the scale and these are changing quite a bit since all the strength stuff I am doing. I work as a nurse so on my feet a lot when on work and am quite active. Take my dog out every day. Not one for sitting about really.

Would appreciate any advice or help to improve what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    Anyone?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Well, if your goal is 1682, you're not hitting it. Your average net last week was 1218, and with days as low as 398 net calories it's not surprising that other days you ended up going over. Maybe if you try to hit your goal consistently, you won't need the big feed days?

Also, I would stop with the hundreds of calories of "Quck Add." Log everything so you can take a look at your nutrients. Sometimes we end up overeating because our bodies are trying to get something we're shorting them on. In your case, that might just be calories, but if you can more properly analyze your macro breakdown, you might be able to see gaps.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer carbs (<100 g/day), eat more fat and protein. See marksdailyapple.com to see why. Losing weight near maintenance is much slower.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your sodium. You eat a lot of processed foods... very little fresh fruits, veggies and lean meats. Try cooking your meals from scratch more often.

Properly track all your foods. Stop with the quick add of calories. Log the actual food. Make sure you are using a kitchen scale to weigh all foods and ensure you are properly measuring all liquids. Make sure you are tracking everything.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Really appreciate it.

The quick add calories are just laziness really but it normally consists of me eating cereals and I know that is not good. I cook most of my main meals from scratch (out of recipe books) but I do agree there is too much processed food and not enough veg and fruit.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your sugar and sodium levels but with the amount of quick fix meals you have those would likely be high as well. Processed food and instant food often has lots of sugar and sodium.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I agree with mumtoonegirl, your sodium levels are probably too high especially from the amount quick fix meals you eat. Check the sugar and sodium content. Quick fix meals are notorious for sodium and sugar.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, dietary sodium is a non-issue. If anything you should worry more about not consuming ENOUGH sodium as a lot is lost through perspiration.
    Also I agree with Pu_239, the negative effect of processed foods is probably negligible and certainly not worth worrying about for anyone who isn't a top level athlete.
    As long as you're hitting your macro and calorie goals you can eat absolutely anything.