Havent lost any weight since starting MFP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Low cal, high protein on-the-go breakfast - boil an egg and bake 2 slices of center cut bacon. I put the egg on and put the bacon in the oven, THEN turn it to 400 degrees - go brush my teeth and take a shower. This is about 20 minutes - breakfast should be done. I swear, if I didn't eat protein in the morning, I'd have eaten my left arm off by now. This breakfast is 110-120 total cals.

Great job on your loss! Here's hoping for some good, positive moment soon :-)
  • kdweightloss
    Options
    I agree with people here. You need to increase the amount of calories you are consuming. I am no expert but if you dont eat enough calories you put you rbody into starvation mode causing your body to store more because it doesnt know when it will get food again. Also try to figure out your BMR.your BMR is basically how many calories your body needs so try not to go under it.

Try using this it helped me:

This is from a girl names sharee10 or Funeral For My Fat on Tumblr

How many calories should i eat a day? This is the equation that i use to determine my calorie intake:

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
    •1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    •1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    •1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    •1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
    •LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    •MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    •GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)
  • Kbriner0223
    Options
    Alright, I took a look and there are a few things. 1. eat more calories probably, make sure you're not eating (net) below your BMR. 2. be really careful about logging things, really make sure you're logging correctly, for example, the fruit, look at the diameter, was the orange really only 2 inches in diameter cause most aren't, for sandwiches it's best to log each individual ingredident, not just a beef sandwich unless you personally created that and use the exact same amounts every time, also oatmeal you log sometimes, do you make that with water or milk because you just log the packet so if you put anything in or on it, milk, sugar, fruit, raisins, etc. log that even if it's only going to be 10 or 20 calories, that adds up really quickly. 3. PROTEIN you eat VERY little protein, I saw a day you only had 31 grams, not okay haha, you should have way more, so add more high protein foods (plain chicken, yogurt, beans, lots of things), and 4. sodium, you go over or are almost at limit for sodium most days and that will bloat you up and it's not good for you, so watch sodium, try getting no salt added things, like for sandwich meats you can buy low sodium (hillshire farm has some) so that' would be good.

RECAP: eat more calories overall but less sodium and more protein, also make sure you're logging very accurately and honestly.

REALLY great advice :) it helps when someone other than me looks at it and i can see the trend in everyones responses LOL! So basically i will try to up the calories and keep my sodium down. I dont know why its been so hard for me to do this! Protein is one thing i thought i was okay in but now that i look back in there- YUP need more! :) I got some fish the other day so i will try to incorporate that and more chicken and i think im just going to give up my sandwiches because i find that they rack up a lot of different things and i dont really feel full enough when i eat one. I think i am going to have to try and find other things to eat, i seem to cling to a set variety of meals and its hard to find other things that i like that are healthy :/
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    1. eat more.
    2. lift things up and put them down.

LOL! Thank you :) Sorry it was just humerous the way i read it-because deep within i know its true ;) I am working on changing my mindset because i have always been told 'eat less to lose more' so the whole eat more to lose less is a concept i am working on. Is it possible that i will gain a lot initially from uppign the calories? I am thinking about 1350-1400 would be okay? If not please correct me!

Here is how I approached getting over the fear of eating more. I looked up what it gave me for cals at half a pound per week and for 1.5 per week. I just aimed to be somewhere in there at the end of the day know ing if I did that there would be progress, maybe not huge loses but healthy progress. So basically I was shooting for between 1300-1500ish. Believe it or not MFP will not blow up in you are "over" on cals some days.

also, if you are measuring BF% on a home scale...chuck it out the window...in fact, just chuck it out the window regradless. It makes life much more enjoyable.
  • Kbriner0223
    Options
    I agree with people here. You need to increase the amount of calories you are consuming. I am no expert but if you dont eat enough calories you put you rbody into starvation mode causing your body to store more because it doesnt know when it will get food again. Also try to figure out your BMR.your BMR is basically how many calories your body needs so try not to go under it.

Try using this it helped me:

This is from a girl names sharee10 or Funeral For My Fat on Tumblr

How many calories should i eat a day? This is the equation that i use to determine my calorie intake:

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
    •1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    •1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    •1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    •1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
    •LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    •MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    •GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)

VERY HELPUL!! Im about to do this now!
  • minkychan
    minkychan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert so please take this with a grain of salt. Just a looksy of the last couple of weeks at your Food diary and it does look like your salt intake is a bit on the high side which makes your body retain more water. That along with tracking your sugar intake since it looks like you might be a little high on that side too. Sugar in fruits are good, but keep in mind that there is sugar in lots of things that might not be so obvious at first glance. It also looks like you might be skipping some meals or maybe you are entering your it under snacks or something? If you are having a yogurt as breakfast, note that as breakfast not a snack (even though it might seem like a snack). It helps with keeping track of your eating habits over time too!

My recommendation is that if you are trying to tone down those last few percentage points of body fat and you don't want to change your diet is to switch your exercise routine to a higher difficulty level of the workout. I always think that ending your workout with a nice gleam of sweat on your face is a good sign your body is working hard and it will make you feel good too. :-)

Good luck and feel free to add me if you need more support and motivation!! :-)
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A couple of things - my opinion only.

If you are truly consuming 800 calories a day, you are losing weight, unless you are VERY tiny to begin with. I don't care how much your metabolism slows down, you can not stay the same weight eating less than your BMR. If your stated BF measurements are anywhere near correct, you aren't. Try a PSMF for a month. It sucks. Just knuckle down and do it.

Secondly, for the average woman, 17% body fat is pretty low. I'm not discouraging you from trying to get there, but you might check and see if you can find some pictures of women in that range who have been accurately measured (DEXA or submersion). You might find that 20% is very acceptable to you.

You got a lot of great advice from previous posters. One other thing I would suggest is not to worry about 5#, especially with changes in your cycle. I know I am make and don't have any experience in that realm, but I can put on or lose 5# in a day depending on food and water intake.
  • rachlat
    rachlat Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, It could be a few things. Following calorie controlled diets is great in that it is simple- once you reach your total, you stop. I found that I had to break down what I was eating. I need more protein than carbohydrate in order to lose weight. Too much carb and I get bloated, the same with sugar.
    It may be worth looking at your breakdown and seeing what quantities you are eating and maybe play around with them to see if that helps to make a difference.
    Same with the exercise. Perhaps try to mix it up a bit or do little and often rather than big spurts.
    I'm going through a bit of a No Change spell where I am stagnant with my weight so I am trying to jumble things around a bit as well. It happens to us all and our bodies adapt to how we are.
    I have been advised to try a few days of over eating and then have a few under eating days but balance out my calories over the week. Maybe that is worth a try. Hope this helps a bit.
    Whatever happens don't give up, I'm sure it will pass and things will start to happen again xx
  • Kbriner0223
    Options

If you are truly consuming 800 calories a day, you are losing weight, unless you are VERY tiny to begin with. I don't care how much your metabolism slows down, you can not stay the same weight eating less than your BMR. If your stated BF measurements are anywhere near correct, you aren't. Try a PSMF for a month. It sucks. Just knuckle down and do it.

Secondly, for the average woman, 17% body fat is pretty low. I'm not discouraging you from trying to get there, but you might check and see if you can find some pictures of women in that range who have been accurately measured (DEXA or submersion). You might find that 20% is very acceptable to you.

You got a lot of great advice from previous posters. One other thing I would suggest is not to worry about 5#, especially with changes in your cycle. I know I am make and don't have any experience in that realm, but I can put on or lose 5# in a day depending on food and water intake.

I normally consume about 1200 a day, a few days i do consume around 800 unintentionally. What is a PSMF? No i am not by any means tiny lol, i never have been, even at my lowest weight of 130. I am okay with just 20% body fat, whatever looks best on me is okay.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Looks like your skipping the most important meal of the day on most day. Breakfast is very important it jump starts your metabolism for the day.
  • starryk
    starryk Posts: 53
    Options
    I see that you are big on fruits and veggies - i did notice another post similar to mine; but I cannot eat too many fruits and /or veggies because I gain. I spent about 4 months with weight watchers following their plan to the letter - eat as many vegies, etc... yep I couldn't lose; I gained.

When I spoke to the doctor she told me that we are all made different. So no more ww for me. I try to stay higher protein. When I pay attention it works.

Good luck to you!!
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're minimizing your deficit now that you have less weight to lose. So, if you were losing 1.5lbs per week, go to 1lb or .5lbs per week, a 500 or 250 deficit. You could try calorie cycling as well. Also, doing more strength training works wonders, as well as eat more exercise more, where you up your calories, but create your deficit (or more of it) from exercise instead of just calorie counting. The weight will have to come off slower as you get closer to your goal, but it's better than it not coming off at all! :)

I was in the same boat, eating super healthy, exercising, but it turned out I just need to eat more, even though I was already eating really healthy foods. I upped my calories so that I only had about a 250 calorie deficit from my TDEE, and before that I ate quite a bit for a few days to 're-rev' my metabolism. Worked like a charm in breaking my plateau! I'm losing steadily again now, even if at a slower pace.
  • ktenenbaum226
    ktenenbaum226 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thx so much for posting this...
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I normally consume about 1200 a day, a few days i do consume around 800 unintentionally. What is a PSMF? No i am not by any means tiny lol, i never have been, even at my lowest weight of 130. I am okay with just 20% body fat, whatever looks best on me is okay.

Ooooh yeah, I read this right after I made my other post on this thread. That is EXACTLY the problem. Up your calories more, it worked for me. Youre body's holding on to fat because your'e trying to lose weight too fast, since you're already within a healthier frame and size. I was also netting about 900-1000 calories for about a month unintentionally, then upped to 1200, and now I'm up to 1500. Read my other post on this thread for more details!
  • Kbriner0223
    Options
    Okay i just changed my settings to losing 1lb a week and put down 'active'-when you put active should i just eat the calories it gives me? Should i actually put sedentary and then as i add my workouts base my caloric intake from what is added when i add the workouts?? <--does that make sense?? lol
  • SupernovaLeon
    Options
    Interesting points!