Calling out for help

Options
How do you get re-mtivated?? Stuck in this bad spot, that bad that i dont know how to even describe it! I am slowly starting to GAIN weight!! I've read forum tat basically say get the f*** over it if you made a bad decsion. Which I do but how do I regain control? I can exercise all day long which I don't mind doig. But somehow I feel like I have no control when it comes to eating. I know what I should be eating, what is good and what is bad. But once I put something bad in my mouth it goes downhill. I honestly feel so helpless. I am losing sleep because I am running thoughts and ideas thru my mind on what I need to do. I lecture myself. But wtf do all the succesful people do to stay focused and motivated. Sorry a little frustrated!

Replies

• doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    For me, I just don't keep bad stuff in the house. Chances are if you have to go out and get it then you will think twice and not do it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't have the magic answer but you are not alone. I have lost 20lbs and I often get frustrated that it is taking so long to lose and also just how many calories are in all of the foods that I love. I try so hard to remember why I am doing this. I am doing this because I don't like how I look or feel and I want to be healthier for myself and for those who love me. It is a long slow process to take off the weight that took years to gain and to break the habits that have taken years to make. I wish I had a magic wand to get us all where we want to be right now. I don't have one though so we will just have to fight through these frustrations and the cravings and the bad days. Let's focus on where we want to be in the future and what we have to do to get there. We have to increase our activity and make good decisions about how we choose to fuel our bodies. Did that help? I hope so, even if your just now know that you are not alone in your struggles.
  • laxbballmom
    laxbballmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to brush your teeth immediately after you have had a meal. It might sound silly but if I do that, then I tend to not want to eat again. Especially if the food item is something that reacts badly with toothpaste (oranges or orange juice comes to mind, blech). Plus you get an added bonus of better dental hygiene!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65lb's so far. My advice to you, is try not to keep bad stuff in the house. If you bring it in, like I do, for my hubby n kids, then hide if from yourself. Out of site, hopefully out of mind. Avoid getting too hungry, snack healthy snacks often, n keep healthy foods handy. Chop them, peel them, whatever, and keep them available n easy to grab. When you open your refrigerator, healthy snacks should be the first thing you see. Put the unhealthy stuff in harder to reach places, like bottom shelf, out of site. Also, when you can avoid getting too hungry, you can make better food choices. If you do, on occasion, have an unhealthy snack, don't beat yourself up over it. It's part of life. There are going to be bad food choices. This is a LIFEstyle change, meaning forever, so is it realistic to think that you'll never eat anything bad for you again? Of course not. Try to make allowances for those unhealthier things. Also, most people, especially people like me, with food addictions, or atleast issues with food, usually do tend to overeat, the better something tastes, so keep that in mind when eating those things. Keep this in mind, PFF, Protein, Fat, Fiber. Try to include them with every meal. Lean proteins, a little fat, and fruits n veggies. Sneak those veggies in whenever you can. Be creative! If you can't sneak them into your food, then eat them on the side. Healthy snacks between meals. Don't skip breakfast. It doesn't have to be a huge breakfast, but even a banana is better than nothing. Maybe 1TBSP of peanut butter with it. Stay strong girl! Add me if you want! :happy:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and your logging is sporadic at best. I truly do find that knowing I'll HAVE to log what I eat is a deterrent to eating it in the first place. So that's what you should do first. I know it's just a mental game that we play without ourselves, but isn't it all? Second, you don't provide much information about how you're overeating. If you're binging in the evening, that usually means that you haven't eaten enough that day. I see a lot of the 1200-calorie-and-under people having binge problems. At some point the hunger just overwhelms the willpower. And third, it really comes down to *your* hand putting that food in *your* mouth. You have to decide if the short term pleasure is worth the fact that it will show on your body. Obviously overeating isn't making you happy - you sound miserable about it. Yet you choose to do it. Getting to the root of why will help you to prevent your triggers.

And lastly, I have found that processed sugar just makes me really hungry. I had an unfortunate incident last week involving some Girl Scout cookies and I was ravenous for days afterwards. I had a couple of good days, fasted yesterday and I'm back on track and 2 lbs down. If you can just get a few days of clean eating under your belt, it DOES get easier.
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ^^^ the brushing teeth thing really helps me at night!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and your logging is sporadic at best. I truly do find that knowing I'll HAVE to log what I eat is a deterrent to eating it in the first place. So that's what you should do first. I know it's just a mental game that we play without ourselves, but isn't it all? Second, you don't provide much information about how you're overeating. If you're binging in the evening, that usually means that you haven't eaten enough that day. I see a lot of the 1200-calorie-and-under people having binge problems. At some point the hunger just overwhelms the willpower. And third, it really comes down to *your* hand putting that food in *your* mouth. You have to decide if the short term pleasure is worth the fact that it will show on your body. Obviously overeating isn't making you happy - you sound miserable about it. Yet you choose to do it. Getting to the root of why will help you to prevent your triggers.

And lastly, I have found that processed sugar just makes me really hungry. I had an unfortunate incident last week involving some Girl Scout cookies and I was ravenous for days afterwards. I had a couple of good days, fasted yesterday and I'm back on track and 2 lbs down. If you can just get a few days of clean eating under your belt, it DOES get easier.

So true! Clean, healthy eating, is detox! Buckle down girlie! :happy:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    What if you put something bad in your mouth and loved yourself? It's ok to eat "bad" sometimes. I went out drinking on Friday and Saturday night and went over but I'd do it again and I did it because I chose to not because I thought I had to.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This may be a weird suggestion, but I was just in the same rut. Something that helped me was (re)watching some food documentaries. Food Inc, is great if you (or anyone else for that matter) havent watched it you definitely should. It totally motivates me to cut out junk food and processed food and just eat better
  • runningfool30
    runningfool30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with my eating and out of control behavior too. Even though I was logging my food, it didn't matter to me that I was going over my calorie goal every day. What clicked for me was having a tangible purpose to work towards. I have a college reunion this summer and I don't want to be the big one again this year. It has allowed me to establish goals and work towards them. I also have people close to me that are using MFP and it definitely makes a difference to know I'm not doing this by myself. I hope you are able to get out of your funk and see the potential that you have and what you can achieve.
  • Marshmaster
    Marshmaster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This may be a weird suggestion, but I was just in the same rut. Something that helped me was (re)watching some food documentaries. Food Inc, is great if you (or anyone else for that matter) havent watched it you definitely should. It totally motivates me to cut out junk food and processed food and just eat better

Food, Inc is a great show to watch. After watching that I became a vegetarian and don't miss any of the grease and crap associated with processing and cooking animal products. And as others have mentioned it's just good sense not to have tempting foods in your living space.
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Recently found after a weekend of bad eating just logging here and seeing hard working friends motivates me alot.
    Also as someone else mentioned, don't got to store when hungry, and don't buy the bad stuff and bring it home. When it's not there it's hard to eat :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about setting realistic goals. Not everyone can be successful trying to lose 2 lbs/week with a 1000 calorie daily deficit. We get hangry and nasty and just give up. Those of us who have tried before know deep down we're never gonna make it anyway so we don't go all out.

Here are my suggestions:

Start with a very modest weight loss goal. You said you're gaining... aim to lose no more than 1/2 a pound weekly. Find that calorie level in MFP and for one month do NOTHING other than log the food and try and stick to that goal no matter what kind of food you eat.

Stay away from fat-free/sugar-free/taste-free/100-cal/non-foods. They won't help you. Use exercise to get more to eat. Go for a nice workout and add those calories to your day... then eat them. Whatever you want to eat.

Keep going.

Once you feel SUPER confident that you can make that calorie target daily, think about areas you can cut - easy ones are sauces/dressings, fast food, junk foods, alcohol etc. Then, when you're ready, change your weight loss goal to 1 lb/week.

Eat the foods you like. Don't cut them out.

Once you are logging food daily - also weighing and accurately measuring portions for everything - then add other strategies: increased protein, cleaner choices, more exercise, weight training, specific macro goals.

Just the food logging. It doesn't matter how much or how little exercise you do, you must eat less than you expend and you will lose weight. But if you aim for just 1/2 a pound weight loss per week, I guarantee in 6 months you'll feel like a million bucks and it won't have been difficult.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Here are some quotes that I save and read when really need motivation:

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down, And you feel like the biggest failure in town. When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy and thin. So What! You went over your points a bit, It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit! It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change. It's learning the skills to get back in your range. It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now. You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow." It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control. To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race. But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip, Just throw in the towel and continue to slip. And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won. Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you grow. Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt. When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit, If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!

"Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog"

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?

Nothing tastes as good as feeling thin!!!
  • darlingyellow
    darlingyellow Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am seriously going to try this. I HATE to eat after brushing my teeth...win win situation.