Why can't bodybuilders always be cut?

Options
I don't understand this bulking and cutting stuff.

Why can't a person look cut all the time? I know I would want to be.

So you have to bulk up and then cut, but why does this cycle repeat itself? Why can't you just bulk up, get cut, and then stay cut forever and ever?

Bodybuilders aside, all the guys I know are always bulking and cutting and playing mad scientist with their bodies. If you know how to get cut, why not do it year-round?

Replies

• Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have to bulk to build muscle. So yes they could stall their muscle growth and stay cut. But they wouldn't be able to build new muscle as easily or gain strength as easily.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this bulking and cutting stuff.

Why can't a person look cut all the time? I know I would want to be.

So you have to bulk up and then cut, but why does this cycle repeat itself? Why can't you just bulk up, get cut, and then stay cut forever and ever?

Bodybuilders aside, all the guys I know are always bulking and cutting and playing mad scientist with their bodies. If you know how to get cut, why not do it year-round?

If your goal is to gain muscle mass, it's generally more efficient to do so by eating in a caloric surplus.

Bodybuilders would stay fairly cut if they didn't have a desire to get larger. They bulk to get bigger and cut to strip the fat off.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Do you understand what bulk/cut means and what the purpose of that is?
  • Lugemachine
    Options
    Essentially, they pig out (and cycle 'roids) and just build insane amounts of muscle. It takes calories to build muscle, so they pack on some fat as well.

When they cut, they enter into a phase that is, for all intents and purposes, an eating disorder... they trim their bodyfat as low as they can and still be alive. They also lose muscle during the cutting phase, but they try to minimize that. They really are not examples of fit athletes... (personally, I believe they're the equivalent of models, not athletes)

It's actually a very unhealthy existence.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Do you understand what bulk/cut means and what the purpose off that is?

^^^^ This
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Essentially, they pig out (and cycle 'roids) and just build insane amounts of muscle. It takes calories to build muscle, so they pack on some fat as well.

When they cut, they enter into a phase that is, for all intents and purposes, an eating disorder... they trim their bodyfat as low as they can and still be alive. They also lose muscle during the cutting phase, but they try to minimize that. They really are not examples of fit athletes... (personally, I believe they're the equivalent of models, not athletes)

Not exactly a true representation, but you did get the broad broad broad broad outer strokes right.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am asking why not look cut for the long-term (post-competition).
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    They bulk and cut because they are trying to add muscle until they reach their genetic potential, which is fairly easy to figure out mathematically. For those who aren't satisfied when and if they ever reach their genetic potential, they use "Gear."

I wouldn't call it "mad science." It's pretty easy to do. Plenty of very average people do it all the time.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    because when you build muscle you also put on fat, it's almost entirely unavoidable.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Competition level bodyfat levels are unsustainable. Beside, most bodybuilders do not bulk beyond 12-15% bodyfat. At that lower level you can still look decently "ripped". Bulking shouldn't be used as an excuse to get fat.
  • suv_hater
    Options

Why do so many young, normal men adopt these methods?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your level of muscle then yeah, you could just stay at a reasonable body fat level forever.

BUT most people like continued improvement. You're never really "at goal" if the goal is to always try to be better than you already are.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are you asking why they can't maintain the ultra-low bodyfat they achieve for competition?
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Remaining at an extremely low body fat percentage for an extended length of time is dangerous. It predisposes one to physiological dysfunction and hormonal disruption. Additionally, it would be exceedingly difficult psychologically to continue eating habits that would so thoroughly undermine proper metabolism.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    An extremely low BF% is hard (and most likely unhealthy) to mantain over an extended period of time.
  • suv_hater
    Options

Remaining at an extremely low body fat percentage for an extended length of time is dangerous. It predisposes one to physiological dysfunction and hormonal disruption. Additionally, it would be exceedingly difficult psychologically to continue eating habits that would so thoroughly undermine proper metabolism.
    Do you know what the lowest % a man can be at and still function normally?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Do you know what the lowest % a man can be at and still function normally?
    3-5% is essential BF% for men, so higher than that. The closer you come, the riskier it gets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Alpha male competition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

I wouldn't use the words "normal" or "many" to describe competitive bodybuilders--it's a small group of people with extreme behavior for extreme outcomes. However, eating disorders are prevalent in other competitive sports such as gymnastics, cheerleading, and wrestling.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DANCE PUPPETS DANCE!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA this guy is playing you all!!:devil: