would love to hear success stories from 1500 calorie dieters

Options

Replies

• TheBigFish711
    Options
    I have been doing between 1500-1600 a day since December 17th, split over 5 meals. I am almost halfway to my goal, and couldn't feel better! It started rough, but I am no longer hungry all the time, and I still can fit in a lot of the "comfort foods" since it's all about portion control!
  • msvelvetheart
    Options
    If I eat 1500 and just do 30 day shred DVD everyday? I want to eat more but then I feel like I'm not doing enough exercise with just Jillian's DVD?
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant last year, I was eating 1200 a day, exercising quite a bit and losing very slowly. I have lost 30 pounds since Nov 2012 eating between 1500-1600. I burn 150-300 cals a day and eat back my exercise cals if I want something special :) Only 60 more pounds to go!!!!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    This is my second week of eating more and it seems my body is still adjusting. No pounds or inches lost yet. I'm trying to eat somewhere between 1500-1700 calories. I'm working on having patience and not freaking out over not losing anything. It's only day 11. I'll just have to keep monitoring my weight and hopefully I won't have to make too many adjustments. I sure am enjoying eating more, though.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    eating 1900 calories a day and still losing fat =)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why are people so hung up on the absolute numbers? I eat around 2200 cals when I am losing weight. It's no different than my friend who eats 1700. And no different from another friend who eats 2500. The key is eating a deficit to *your* TDEE.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just recently upped my calories when I started lifting. I'm trying to stay between 1400-1600 depending on how much I workout and how hungry I am. I haven't lost any weight since the increase, but...I lost two inches at my waist, one at my hips, one at my bust and 2% body fat which is pretty good for only a few weeks.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I started at 1450 nearly 6 months ago and after Christmas upped it to 1550-1600 on the days I don't work out (when I exercise I try to eat back at least half those calories). I've consistently been losing every week and have lost a total of 58lbs since the end of September.

Any time I've ever lost weight in the past has been the result of overly restrictive diets. I'd go hard for 3-4 months on 1000 calories (or less), lose anywhere from 40-80lbs and ultimately fall off track and gain it all (and more) back. This is the first time I've truly felt like this is a long term way to lose all the weight and most importantly, keep it off.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80 pounds since july 18, 2012. i have eaten 1500 calories a day every day since july 18. the last month i've been eating 1550 sometimes 1600. im' 45 yrs old 5'4". i do cardio 6 days a week and strength 5 days a week.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I lost 58 pounds in 2011 eating 1500 to 1800 calories a day, including at least 2/3rds of my exercise calories, and have successfully maintained since the fall of that year. I'm small framed, 5'7", my maintenance weight is 123 pounds, and I'll be 60 in May. I run every other day and strength train 3 days a week. I slacked off on strength training in favor of more cardio for a while after reaching my goal weight and paid for it with a noticeable loss of strength and an increase in body fat percentage, even though I didn't regain any of the weight I lost. But I nipped that problem in the bud before it got out of hand and am back on track now.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaitgettingfit
    Options
    Bump! This makes me feel so much better about upping my calories to 1400 from 1200.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    1643 cals a day then I eat about 300 exercise cals a day too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918054-what-is-your-excuse-pics-included
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at 1700 but I usually eat between 1500 - 1700. I lost the most when I stuck close to 1500. I lost the least at under 1500.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I crashed and burned doing the 1,200 thing. Upped cals to 2,000 to get my metabolism going again in January. I dropped 6 pounds in four weeks on 1,500 in February refigured my TDEE and upped to 1,650 for March and am still losing. Nom Nom.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Why are people so hung up on the absolute numbers? I eat around 2200 cals when I am losing weight. It's no different than my friend who eats 1700. And no different from another friend who eats 2500. The key is eating a deficit to *your* TDEE.

So this is what I am thinking too. I keep seeing "1200 is too low" eat more. Or "I eat 1500 and still lose weight..." Aren't these numbers extremely dependent on your current height and weight? I would like to know less about how many calories people are eating and MORE about what percentage of deficit they have. I have heard the number 20 percent.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I eat between the high 1500s to 1900s.. this has been my result so far, Day 70 and bottom pic taken yesterday. 11-14lb difference, no plateau.

19593344_9446.jpg
    19593344_9764.jpg
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost 30 lbs eating around 1500 calories a day (sometimes more, sometimes less - I'm not too strict about it) since October 2012. But I've also been working out almost every day too.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

So this is what I am thinking too. I keep seeing "1200 is too low" eat more. Or "I eat 1500 and still lose weight..." Aren't these numbers extremely dependent on your current height and weight? I would like to know less about how many calories people are eating and MORE about what percentage of deficit they have. I have heard the number 20 percent.

I'm actually more hung up on my macros.. there are a ton of variables involved as well.. I have been consistently eating over 1600 despite many websites telling me to eat less based on how much/little I workout, weight, BF% etc. I just know if I eat over 1600, I won't hit a plateau.. if I am not close, I just eat to meet my macro goal til I meet the calorie goal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

TDEE-20% is a great starting point.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!