HELP! Sweating is ruining my face :(

Options

Replies

• Crossfit_Mom_2_4
    Crossfit_Mom_2_4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist prescribed (over the counter at CVS) a cleanser called "Cerve." I use the foaming facial cleanser everyday in the morning before I workout, and at night. I also have the Cerve Moisturizer (you can expect some drying to occur the first two weeks, so get a small bottle of the moisturizer). It costs about $13 for a big bottle. I always stock up when CVS has their BOGO sales. It works!! Better than the expensive stuff and it lasts forever!!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls!! I do not work out in make up. But will prob end up doing it sometimes since I am joinging a gym. I am a stay at home mom so I really don't wear it unless it's an errand day or family day or date night. I wash my bedding once a week, I wash my face every night but not RIGHT after work outs, and I moisturize a lot. I do masks every now and then. I am really bad at washing my make up brushes and replacing sponges so I need to keep track of that. I will deff give cetaphil a try. I was really athletic my whole life and never had this issue... Its like rosacia looking on my cheeks now, and I am breaking out on my chin and between my eyes.

I usually have pretty clear glowing skin. I never drink soda or juice, I eat healthy THIS SHOULDNT BE HAPPENING AHHH

Could it be the dry weather and lack of sun too?

Love the headband idea good idea.
    Love the face wipes idea too deff getting some.

Thanks so much :)

I would wash my face RIGHT AFTER you work out. I breakout when I don't. Even if it means just washing it without a cleanser...wash right after. Also, I don't recommend wearing makeup while you're working out when you decide to join a gym. I did it a couple of times because i went right after work and my face ended up feeling disgusting. *shudder*
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If this has only started after you began working out (and didn't happen before that) it could mean that you are depleting your nutrients quicker and those that your skin needs to keep healthy may be too low. I increased my zinc and added a multivitamin (I managed to get adult acne in the last year and working out made it worse, since I added these two things it has 1/2 way cleared up!)

Another few things it could be:

* Not enough hydration, drying out of the skin makes it more oily and helps to create blockage that causes acne.
    * Not enough moisture, this ties in to hydration a bit because hydration can leave skin dry or if you live in a hot dry climate this can cause drying out. Extra moisturizer on your face each day can help
    * Not exfoliating enough or exfoliating too much! Don't wash your face with a cloth more than 2-3 times a week, this can help to cause break outs.
    * Not washing your face enough, if you wash your face once a day (because you generally do not wear make up) this may be a reason build up of oils on your skin occurs. Make sure to wash at least every morning and every night. Washing your face too much can also irritate your skin.
    *You touch your face... a lot! Touching your face adds dirt and oils through out the day, just think of how many things you touch and then you are touching your face... whelp, that probably tells you how you can get blockage from touching your face
    * Too Stressed or Hormones! Yep, two very common culprits for breaking out, both are hard to avoid but during these times just pay extra attention to what you skin is doing so you can help to battle the acne. (sidenote: Vitamin B complex can help when you are stressed.)

Hope you find something that works!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sweating can actually be really good for your skin! What I do is rinse or wash my face BEFORE I work out. Even when I'm not wearing make up or anything. That way my pores are clear. Then when there aren't obstructions, the sweat can actually push subcutaneous dirt/bacteria out. You should, of course, clean your face after working out, too. But give cleansing beforehand a try. I find my skin is actually better when I'm working out and sweating frequently!

This is what I do. After starting running last year my skin started to break out. I now wash my face both before and after running (leaves your skin free to sweat with no dead cells blocking the pores).

Just a quick wash with something simple - I like oil-free gel washes that foam up (bit expensive but Clinique facial soap and Estee Lauder foaming cleansers are great - and a little goes a long way. Although I'm sure there are probably other washes that are less expensive that you can get in the country where you live).

Hair products running on to your face when you sweat could also be irritating your skin. In winter I wear a hat when running and in summer I wear a headband. Either way, they help to stop products making their way down on to your face.

I usually jump in the shower straight after exercise so while I wash my face I don't put moisturiser on until my face has cooled down so it can breathe and sweat doesn't get trapped. Perhaps wait an hour or so before applying.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple!! I have had very sensitive skin my whole life. I use Neutrogena foaming face wash and then use the Bare Minerals moisturizer. It is light...fresh and is not thick or greasy in any way.

Purpose soap face wash is awesome too.

The salicylic acid kills my face and makes me break out horribly! Keep it light...simple....and most important~~~~non greasy!

Good luck!
  • jello1369
    jello1369 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nutragena (spelling?) grapefruit facewash! And wash as soon as possible after working out and follow up with a good moisturizer.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Buy an aloe plant; you can find them for a few dollars at Home Depot and are super easy to care for. They're a type of cactus so they're very hardy and low maintenance. You just cut off a leaf, peel some of the covering off, rub the pulp on your face, let it dry (you can sleep in it), and wash it off in the morning. Do that every night. You can put what's left in a plastic bag and refrigerate it. Just throw it out when it's dried up and cut a new leaf. I used this all throughout high school to help fix up my skin and it's really good for sensitive skin. Make certain your make up brushes and sponges are clean too-- I use brushes only and I wash them weekly.. Also make sure you wash your face right after you finish working out and keep your hands off your face!
  • BigManMoving
    Options
    Biore Face wash works well.
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    I LOVE Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. I get it on Amazon for maybe $6 for a giant tube that lasts forever. It's really helped all the sweat acne stuff. Aside from that drink lots of water and exfoliate. Eventually, your skin will readjust itself.
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    Do you exercise with makeup on? I found that increased breakouts for me.

Do you wash your face right after exercise? If I don't I get acne too. It's terrible.

What I found helped was to wear one of those cotton headbands while I exercised. I washed it after exercise when I wash my HRM chest strap. At that point I also wash my face.

Make sure you are properly washing your face. Also, make sure you regularly change your pillow case and regularly wash any makeup tools you use. I don't keep those applicators in my face powder compact. I wash my makeup brushes and sponges once a week and use a brush cleaner spray after each use ( you can make your own really easy with rubbing alcohol, a bit of shampoo ... I forget the other ingredients but the recipes are online). Never touch your foundation bottle top after you have touched your face as well. If I keep my makeup tools clean it helps. I also have to make sure I keep my hands off my face and make sure my phone is clean.

Do you wear a lot of hair products? I find if I do and my hair is touching my face I get breakouts because of all the products. I try not to use a lot.

The best cleanser I have found is a knock off of Proactiv. I believe it's called AcneFree... normally in the Pharmacy section. It's a three step kit and where I am in Ontario it usually costs about $25 and last a long time. Depending on where you are some stores sell other versions or the generics.

Personally I hate Garnier face washes. What about getting an acne face wash to use? If I wear makeup I wipe it off with a makeup wipe and than use an acne cleanser.

When I feel a pimple coming at night I will dampen a cotton swap and than put a drop of tea tree oil on it. I than dap that on the area where I can feel the pimple coming. Every now and again I do somewhat of the same thing but for my whole face. I dampen one of those cotton rounds (a cotton ball would work too) and than a drop or two of tea tree oil and than wipe that over my face. It sounds weird to put an oil on your face but it works well. Make sure it's watered down a bit and don't put it too close to your eyes or nose.

Another vote for Acne Free. Better than Proactive and waaaay cheaper.
  • Qlow
    Qlow Posts: 92
    Options
    I use Simple products. I totally recommend them.
    Simple spotless skin anti blemish moisturiser and Simple spotless skin rapid action spot zapper
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am a classic read sweaty face gym goer so feel your pain.

I have learned to make sure I wash my face as soon as I get home from the gym. I live less than a 5 min car journey and never use the gym showers, just shower at home.

Something I recently purchase which has been BRILLIANT is Avene Clearance http://www.avene.co.uk/Cleanance-Emulsion it is not at all greasy and stops those tiny little pimples round your hair line. it's pretty cheap too. :)
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    depending on the season I use coconut oil (the cold pressed virgin coconut oil is the one you want, no the other kidn which will clog your skin) you don"t have to melt it, your skin temp will do that for you, you just rub on your skin, cover with a warm cloth to open the pores and wash off after a few minutes. If you use the good stuff it will help with the bacteria, from what I understand and expereienced. yOu can also mix with baking soda if you need exfoilient :) then once you wash off your face, you can follow up with a lighter application of Coconut oil as needed to moistureize.

I am currently use a mix of caster oil 1 part to 3 parts jojoba oil. Using the same process rub on, open with warm rag, wipe off ,and follow up with a lighter application of plain jojoba to moisturize.

Takes off my makup cleans my faces balances the oils and moisturizes.

around my period I will get hormonal out breaks, no way around them so I just apply compress, go over the hot spots with witch hazel to sooth and then apply a small dab of jojoba that has tea tree oil mixed in and it helps tremendously.
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wash your face every morning and night with plain dawn dish soap....I know I know, I am telling you I do it everyday and my face almost never breaks out....
  • chartwells253
    Options
    I had terrible skin until I switched to cetaphil. Best cleanser on the market. I use the one for oily skin and it is very gentle.I also use the facial moisturizer.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a derm. for most of my life.
    I was told by her that I should never use any kind of soap/cleanser other than Cereve or Cetaphil.
    Those two you can use as many times a day as you want, other cleansers are too harsh and you should only use 1-2x.
    Bondi Bands. A previous poster said this, they are great.
    Sweat towel during workout.
    Change pillow case.
    never work out with make up on.

Also, a non-clogging moisturizer with SPF- Neutrogena
    Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer with sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    A lot of really good tips here - just want to say Garnier does nothing good for me either. It actually gave me hives. Ditch it! (also good idea to tame down the dairy and maybe try a natural face product and a toner) Good luck! & you totally don't look like a poppyseed bagel BTW, you're beautiful!!

Aw you are so nice! Thank you! I mean I dont have acne... zits and pimples all in one area... and its not so pretty.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite moisturizer: http://www.sephora.com/pomegranate-balancing-cream-gel-moisturiser-P305109

It smells amazing, isn't greasy and doesn't make me breakout, even when I put it on at night (normally anything on my face at night makes me break out).

I don't use a fancy cleanser. Love the plain Neutrogena facial bar: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/facial+cleansing+bar.do

They also make one for acne prone skin.

And every other day I use this exfoliate: http://www.sephora.com/soy-face-exfoliant-P259215

I was breaking out horribly since I started working out but my skin is back to normal now that I've found products that make my skin happy.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    After everyone started raving about it, I've picked up some coconut oil. A little goes a LONG way, and it was $5 at Trader Joes.

This is amazing stuff - for cooking, moisturising, facecream, even deodorant. And drink plenty water :)
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!

OKAY- SO -
    1. Deff washing my face before and IMMEDIATLEY after a work out
    2. buying bacteria bar
    3.buying face wipes
    4.doing a honey cinnamon mask once a week
    5.More Water
    6. Not touching my face as much
    7.getting a organic moisturizer and using it once in the AM and once in the PM
    8.Mutli vitamin

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3

CANT WAIT FOR THE SUMMER THE POOL AND SUN WILL CLEAR THIS PROBLEM RIGHT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!