Conflicting feelings on an NSV.

Options
2»

Replies

• Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    E-Bay can be useful as well if you know you could be going down through a couple of sizes. You can often buy bundles of clothes which are quite useful if you only intend to be in them for a couple of months before dropping down another size.

Hear hear!
    And don't we all plan to go down a size the sooner the better...
    I can't wait to need to buy a whole new wardrobe.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i also felt that and now I have become best friends with thrift stores and goodwill. Replace things bit by bit
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Haha!! I am in the same boat as you...awh poor us!! I hit up the goodwill this weekend for my "on my way" sizes. Great deals on nice brands....didnt spend more than 15$ and I got 2 pairs of nice jeans and a pair of capris for summer.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Dresses last me through more sizes than pants do. And skirts are easier to alter than pants.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    pop some tags, you got twenty dollars in your pocket?
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    I never go to goodwill, go to the sale racks at Target or Marshalls and Ross, the clothes are new and in style.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The choices in thrift stores and consignment shops are much better in smaller sizes. We fat girls hate to shop, so hang on to our clothes longer. Little ones love shopping and give away a lot more.

Belts are really handy.

Most pants can be taken in a size or two below the waist fairly easily on the outer seam. The inner seam will shorten the crotch of the pants, but for some of us that is good (only 5'1" here).

Belting long tops, or tucking them in can help extend their life.

Alterations can get pretty pricey once you are adjusting shoulders very much, but taking in some below the shoulders is usually pretty easy. Adding long darts at the waist can help too. And if you are a seamstress, you can get a pattern and reuse the fabric from other things to remake them if you choose simple patterns. (I am a seamstress, so I have been contemplating how to redo my wardrobe, since I have no money for new).
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're only buying for the current weather/season. By the time summer rolls around, you'll need smaller sizes again!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to keep sets of sizes 8,10,12,14 but when I stayed at size 18 soooo long I threw out the rest. I bet they would be out of style now anyhow. I wish MFP had a clothing exchange! We should start one. All these people losing at different levels we should be able to swap.

Why not try and organise something within your own areas? I've been to a couple here in Japan, just organised by a woman who advertised in some of the free newspapers. She ran it at a cafe on a Saturday afternoon. Everyone was requested to buy at least one drink, we all brought loads of stuff, it was spread around some tables and everyone was free to wander around chatting and taking whatever they wanted. At the end all the leftovers were donated.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Also look at local churches because every year around back to school my sister's church has a HUGE free clothing drive. I have been going for years and always find great stuff for my daughter and I.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the comments so sorry if this was already said. I'd go to the local thrift shops and plato's closet or whatever if you have one. You can now purchase all the clothes that other people stopped fitting into!

I was surprised they had such good quality clothes. Just an idea.

Oh, and congrats on your NSV! Great job!!!
  • feliligram
    Options
    I bought a two belts that I thought were going to be too small, Got home and they're too big.
    It was bittersweet. xD
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    One more place to check, is garage sales. Especially garage sales in more affluent neighborhoods, for those women tend to be smaller in size.
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    pop some tags, you got twenty dollars in your pocket?
    Ugh, my response was taken!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    hahahaha Well honey, I'm in the same boat and I've just decided that at the end of the day, thats a good problem to have! :) Congrats!! :drinker:
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to keep sets of sizes 8,10,12,14 but when I stayed at size 18 soooo long I threw out the rest. I bet they would be out of style now anyhow. I wish MFP had a clothing exchange! We should start one. All these people losing at different levels we should be able to swap.

This is a great idea. Some of my MFP friends and I traded clothes. I sent my too-big stuff to a friend who was just shrinking into them, and another friend sent me stuff that she had just shrunk out of. Put the word out to your peeps!!
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Goodwill and Good friends!!!! If you have the time to really look, you can get everything with the special 99 cent tag of the week. Hang in there - it's the best problem to have and it makes you feel so good to actually throw the BIG clothes in a bag and say goodbye to them as well!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!