Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yawn
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Essentially, they pig out (and cycle 'roids) and just build insane amounts of muscle. It takes calories to build muscle, so they pack on some fat as well.

When they cut, they enter into a phase that is, for all intents and purposes, an eating disorder... they trim their bodyfat as low as they can and still be alive. They also lose muscle during the cutting phase, but they try to minimize that. They really are not examples of fit athletes... (personally, I believe they're the equivalent of models, not athletes)

It's actually a very unhealthy existence.
    Why do so many young, normal men adopt these methods?

For the same reason that so many young women develop eating disorders and cut themselves.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Can't build muscle without a calorie surplus

i hate you for not accepting my FR and still showing your abs in forums! How dare you!?!?!

:love:

OP:

Bulk is to build muscle,
    cut is to cut fat.

What people mean by being "cut" has variation. As has already been said, "competition" level of BF% is unsafe to keep long term. But it's possible to keep bf% low and stay ripped without ever going into another bulk cycle (from what I can tell).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Why do so many young, normal men adopt these methods?

For the same reason that so many young women develop eating disorders and cut themselves.

Edited because i think i might be an idiot.

....carrying on...
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Because some people like to have a season to be able to eat what they enjoy and use it advantageously at the same time... Being cut all year round is great, but it isn't for some people. Some like that diet break.. Neither my bf or I would be very happy if he were cutting or trying to maintain a certain bf% all year round. You can't gain more muscle without having a calorie surplus so eventually you have to get out of that 'staying cut' mindset if you want to put on more muscle. You don't have to get fat on a bulk but gaining a little fat is inevitable in most cases.