The 7 Primal Movements

Options
Spartan_Maker mentioned these in another thread (Cardio doesn’t burn fat), which got me into the search function to see what else he’d written and then straight off to the master of the universe (google) looking them up. I mean, sure, I’ve heard of the Seven Deadly Sins before (and pretty much have some of them down to a fine art) but the Seven Primal Movements? Never heard of them.

Well hello there!! And a big thank you goes to Paul Chek who developed the concept. His philosophy is based on movements used in human daily activity since ancient times. And I’ve got to say, I was reading about it and had distinct flashbacks from books by Michelle Bridges, Alwyn Cosgrove and probably a few others… I am also happy to say that my PT has incorporated them into my workout. I guess I understood the concept but didn’t realise that there was actually a theory and a name behind it.
So, what are they, you ask?

1. Squat (great, I do those)
2. Bend (deadlifts - got them covered as well)
3. Lunge (dammit, hate the lunge, will have to add it back to my routine)
4. Push (chest press, overhead press, push-ups - tick)
5. Pull (lat pulldowns, rows - yep, all good there)
6. Twist (oblique crunches, alternate toe touches - tick)
7. Gait (walking – yes, I can walk and a bit of HIIT covers the running part)

“To improve overall vitality and have more energy to complete our daily tasks, it is important to begin re-incorporating these movements into our lifestyles. Over time, our bodies will respond positively, adapting by increasing blood flow to all tissues of our bodies and improving muscle recruitment and engagement. Some of the benefits this will present to us include reduced joint stiffness and pain as well as increased quality of life.” - Kmaru

So there you go, a few hours of Sunday research on the internet adds to my long list of favourites. And, I’m sure that reading is equal to weight training for the brain. Thanks Spartan_Maker for bringing this to my attention.

Better still – NONE of these require a gym membership. There were no gyms in ancient times. Only pyramids to be built, rivers to be crossed, villages to be plundered. All these movements are just done by the body, doing what needs to be done at the time. A great workout can be had at home moving furniture around the house, getting out in the garden, and doing the household shopping on foot and carrying the bags home. Double bonus – save the gym membership for some new clothes.

Of course, I enjoy going to the gym, but that’s me. The point is, there is no excuse for NOT being able to incorporate the movements into anyones life. Anyone can do it!

I think as long as calories are in check and these basic movements are included in a sensible training programme, a good figure can’t be far behind.

Anyway, thought that I would share the 7 Primal Movement Patterns, just in case someone else hadn’t heard of them.

Have a great day!!
:smile:

Replies

• Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of them, it makes a lot of sense and is easy enough to do. Thanks I'm going to read this to hubby now. You have a talent for expressing yourself my new friend, I bet you are a writer, if not you should be I'm sure your articles would be a huge hit!
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank u for posting this!! xx
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Here you are, a full body home workout that incorporates the entire list. I used this workout two years ago to go from 220lbs, to 175ish lbs...in three months, eating mostly Taco Bell and chicken lol (yes, my calories were tracked and under maintenance).

Here's an example. Its obvious which of the pictures were 220lbs, and which 175lbs:

2012-10-23063957-1.jpg

Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks cris and congratulations on your terrific results!
  • MagicFeather
    MagicFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It's just what I was looking for. Just did a 5x5 body row using my desk, I hope I can work my way up to a pull-up someday. You look great btw.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks cris and congratulations on your terrific results!

You're welcome :). And thank you!
    Thanks for posting this. It's just what I was looking for. Just did a 5x5 body row using my desk, I hope I can work my way up to a pull-up someday. You look great btw.

No worries :). Just remember, body rows don't target the muscles you'll need to do pull ups. The best exercise to use to build strength for a pull up, is called a 'negative pull up'. What that is, is basically the second half of a pull up. Using a chair, stool, or other platform, you stand up to full pull up height, then lift your legs, hold yourself up...and then slowly lower yourself (as slowly as you can) until your arms are almost completely extended. At the bottom, hold it as long as possible...and even attempt to contract your biceps to lift yourself a bit. When you can't hold it anymore, put your feet down. Rest a second, then repeat.

And thank you for the compliment!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I did my 5am workout today and used the 7 primal movements. Still recovering from a couple of injuries but got through my workout in only half an hour doing supersets of the super 7 and worked up a nice sweat. Legs were aching my the time I was finished. Plus managed an extra set of 10 x pushups on toes, now up to 40.
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a great read! Thanks SFW!