Help! I think I have BED

Options
BED- binge eating disorder. I think that I might have this. Yes I know thatI have lost weight but since the end of January I cannot seem to control my eating. I have not really lost weight since January. I will try and diet but then I will freak out and start eating and eating and I cannot seem to stop even when I am full! I am actually starting to scare myself with ho much i eat, its ridiculous! What do I do to control something like that? It has been really bad this week. I have already gained 8 lbs back from all this eating. HELP!

Replies

• cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've heard overeaters anonymous is really helpful for binge eating! They chapters all over the US (and may other places). I would really look into that. www.oa.org

Good luck!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I've heard overeaters anonymous is really helpful for binge eating! They chapters all over the US (and may other places). I would really look into that. www.oa.org

Good luck!

The closest meeting they have is ove an hour from where I live. :-(
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There are counselors who specialize in eating disorders.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Greetings, fellow binge-r. I am mostly an ex-binger, and here are some of the things I've discovered in my travels:

1. Restricting your calories too low will naturally lead to a binge/restriction cycle. When I first started at MFP, I did the whole "1200 calories a day", and I didn't eat my exercise calories. I've since reformed. I now eat about 1800 calories a day (I'm almost at maintenance) plus some or even most of my exercise calories. when I was restricting my calories too much, I would binge every few days, bottomless pit style. But, the reason I was bingeing like that is because I was legitimately hungry. Be sure you're eating enough during the day.

2. I was having emotional binges that I wasn't even aware of the triggers for. I, on the advice of a therapist, started "free journaling" whenever I had binge urges. To do this, get a notebook, and whenever you feel a binge coming on, sit down and write for three pages. It can be anything that comes to your mind, from your to-do list to things that bothered you during the day. I discovered I had emotional triggers I didn't even know I had. I would write something that started with a grocery shopping list, and then write down some revelation/lasting pain from childhood.

3. I developed a ritual (I am a night time binger) of cleaning the kitchen and then ceremoniously closing it for the evening. If I wanted something else to eat, I could have it, but then I had to clean the entire kitchen again. This was a very powerful tool in breaking the binge cycle for me. I stopped eating at 8 pm (I no longer need this rule.)

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • burtam
    burtam Posts: 42
    Options
    I am taking 5-HTP to control my appetite - it also helps with mood and sleep.... It is herbal and can be found at Wal-Mart or any store really.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

Best of luck! It really helps me a lot!!
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to have a binge problem too. I thought i could never get rid of it... But the more practice i got with dieting and eating healthy, the easier it got to not over eat. If you set meal times and do your best not to eat in between, it may help (takes time though) also try around five smaller meals a day
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I think a local counseler might be the best answer.There are usually problems that cause binge eating (stress, abuse, etc). I am praying for you my dear dear friend.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Thanks every one for your support and advice.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Thats what I have done for the past year, but I am really praying I have it under control this time! I have lost the same 20lbs 4 times and then gained it back PLUS each time!!!! I do so good for about 1-2 weeks then bang go ona binge and give up and just eat and eat and eat all day! Its terrible and it is sooooooo depressing! I am just really trying to work my brain through it this time!! I just keep telling myself that I don't want to feel like that again! Its not easy!