Boxing, Weights or both?

Options
Would like to develop more strength in my upper body. I walk a lot which has left me with very strong lower body, but due to scoliosis I find it difficult to work out my upper. Swimming only does so much and well to be honest i am fed up with washing my hair everyday LOL.

Also am not feeling confident or safe at work/home after a robbery/assault and would love to do some self defense or boxing training.

Can you do those things when you are still overweight?

I guess I'm scared I'll look ridiculous going to a gym or boxing program being obese.

Will more muscles make it easier/ quicker for the fat to drop off?.

Where do I go to do these things? What do I look for in a place to train?

Cheers

Replies

• AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I to am a victim of a crime and I stronly recommend boxing and/or self defense classes. They are great for our minds so we feel "safer" knowing we can defend ourselves plus it's a great work-out to get in shape. it's not real high impact so it's not so hard on the body but it burns alot of calories and gets us in shape. I know people can feel uncomfortable going to a gym or classes if their not "in shape" already but that is what these places our for. When I first joined a gym I was NOT in good shape at all and i found that those at the gym who are "in shape" are that way because they believe in this life style and are very helpful to those wanting to learn. I found so many to be so helpful when I had questions. They want to share their knowledge of what they love. I would call local gyms and ask what kind of classes they offer, you can also do a local search on the internet for self defense classes. Good luck to you!!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    absolutely learn self defense!!!! You can do this overweight. Many of the best martial artists are overweight and can kick serious booty. Do not let your size be a limiting factor in that.

I also think to answer your question: BOTH

because hecks, why not?? Strenght training is good for your body. Martial arts/self defense is good for your spirit and mind.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes you can i'm a large girl and when i was at my largest i taking capoeira, krav maga and kick boxing. there are all shapes in sizes in classes and at my capoeira school there were quite a few overweight advanced people who were hella spry .

krav maga was a lot of fun and i'd like to take it and capoeira again at some point. depending where you are schools might offer regular groupon deals. i know for me i see places offering a 10-pack deal for like $60. also you can call to see if they have anything special going on.

you'd have to visit the school. for me i loved my old capoeira place because everyone was friendly and the instructors were all patient. i ended up sticking to one place because the other students were patient too. i had been places where i was the last one to finish a drill because i didnt have the stamina or strength and i could just see my classmates staring me down like :devil: the school i ended up going to regularly we would all encourage each others, so if you were the last then they'd cheer you on.

also sorry to hear about your assault and resulting fear. hopefully you can take some classes and regain more confidence :smile:
  • starcrost79
    Options
    Personally, I do both. I lift on Mon-Wed-Fri (upper only, biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back) and do cardio. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I attend a boxing class. It's really a lot of fun, and if you find the right class they'll keep it slow for newbies. It's definitely doable being obese (I am as well ATM), but remember not to push yourself too hard. You'll definitely be sore afterwards!

While I haven't been a victim of a crime, I work in downtown Los Angeles and feel a lot more comfortable knowing I could knock a perp on his @$$ with a wicked right uppercut he'd never see coming. :o)

Good luck to you, and feel free to add me if you have questions. :D
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I say do both. As long as your dr agrees, size doesn't matter. Everyone needs to exercise. Boxing can be fun. It's certainly very different than the usual yoga and zumba that many women do.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    definitely both. They really do go hand in hand IMO.

I initially did boxing only for weight loss. Lost a LOT of LBM also which took a long time to get back. Highly recommend concurrent training with both.

And don't worry about your current weight. There are a lot of overweight (but VERY fit) boxers.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started kickboxing when I was 46lbs overweight. DO IT :) It's fun and somehow even though I've been doing it for over 6 months, I'm still sore every week.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Both
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Both. Start immediately. Enjoy