Bike Ride!!!

Options

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A "real" bike after being stuck on a MTB is quite a revelation, isn't it?

My bike is currently out of action - cut in the rear tyre, need to buy a new tube before I can do anything with it. And of course I wasn't carrying a repair kit because I was just going to a friend's...

At the moment, I'm cycling about 100km/month on various errands - doing the shopping, going to appointments in town, etc. Amazing how much you save on petrol and parking! My bike has paid for itself already.

As soon as it's light enough in the mornings, I plan to start cycling to work. I tried it out recently - takes me just over an hour for 22km (16 miles), but it's mostly along the seafront. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I thought it was cold yesterday.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    It becomes addicting riding in nice weather. So many places you can go. We are lucky we are a bike friendly town. We have many paved bike paths to ride and marked lanes on the streets. Enjoy !!
  • boosht
    boosht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I guess no one cares about riding bikes. O well.

Ha! I so love to ride bikes.

My wife and I purchased a couple of road bikes about two weeks ago and took them on a nice little 10 mile ride today. Blew me away how much easier it was to keep speed on those things versus our mountain bikes. Love love love those things. Quick way to burn around 700 calories as well.

How long did a 10 mile ride take? We just rode around the neighborhood for about an hour. I have no idea how far we rode. It did get kind of chilly after about 45 minutes. Temps hit 50 today.

We need to buy a few things for longer rides. Glasses for the wind in your face. I also think I need some sort of back pack to carry a spare tube, mini pump, little tool for the chain and stuff.

What do you think? Do you carry those things with you?

purchase a saddle bag, that fits a small lock, one or two spare tubes, a piece of toothpaste tube ( in case you split a tyre for repair), and a couple of tyre levers. the small pump can be fitted to the bike along side the water bottle holder. so no need for a back pack, unless you want a range of spare clothing options (but you tend to get by with a guess on the day of cycling..
    Glasses are good unless it's raining or you start and stop a lot (misting up), along with glasses you might want to think about a selection of golves for various temperatures (fingerless, full finger and winter)

I use a topeak saddle bag medium size, and there topeak pocket rocket road pump.

enjoy and hope you have a good time..
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    I use my cell phone for logging my time , distance and calories burned. It's called "RunKeeper" . It's a great app.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Love riding bikes. We do a 8-12k ride with the kids almost weekly during the summer. We do 20-40k rides if we are sans kids. I have a speedometer app on my phone and it's been quite accurate thus far. We do a slower pace of course, but at least we get out there. Camelbaks are a great investment as well, we each have one as we go camping and hiking quite a bit in the warmer months as well.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. The bride has been looking for some goodies online.
  • tobynapalm
    tobynapalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a 29 miler that I do regularly. Bikes RULE! Enjoy yours!
  • tobynapalm
    tobynapalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The runtastic app is pretty sweet, it automatically logs your exercise to this site.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I love to ride my bike. When we lived in Colorado we would ride our bikes from Lake Dillon, up the mountain to Breckenridge. Then we would have a well deserved lunch and head back down.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Oh i care about riding bike, especially that first ride of the season, congratulations & also congratulating on your weight loss

IM envious because I'm still waiting to get that first ride of the season in….now there talking more snow and we did get some warm weather on the week end, but it was mixed with rain…getting caught in rain is one thing, but leaving in the rain, …no thank you.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • Davis911
    Davis911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love cycling. Finally got back on my bike after being off it for years. Participating in the bike ride from Houston to Austin this April. Currently moving anywhere from 20 to 100 miles per weekend.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I just bought my new MTB bike Friday!!! Unfortunately I have to wait a week to get it and the trails in WNY won't be ride worthy for a couple weeks!!! So I will have to just drool over my bike for a while.
    Usually I get out 2-3 times a week 15-20 miles each ride on fast, flowy, singletrack!!!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Can't WAIT until warm weather! My husband and I started cycling in the summer of 2011. When we bought our bikes our goal was to ride 3 miles to town. LOL I now ride 40 mile rides and my husband regularly rides 60-70 miles a trip/400 miles month. He's currently spinning inside and training for a Century ride in a few weeks. I want to be able to go on these rides with him so I started MFP 3 weeks ago. I want to lose 25#'s and have the stamina to keep up PLUS to look good in those skimpy cycling outfits! ;) Nothing like taking up a new hobby at 55 & 57! Our kids were so impressed they bought bikes and started riding. We all use the "Map My Ride" app and we can track each other Live and see each others progress to compete even though we all live in different states.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Can't WAIT until warm weather! My husband and I started cycling in the summer of 2011. When we bought our bikes our goal was to ride 3 miles to town. LOL I now ride 40 mile rides and my husband regularly rides 60-70 miles a trip/400 miles month. He's currently spinning inside and training for a Century ride in a few weeks. I want to be able to go on these rides with him so I started MFP 3 weeks ago. I want to lose 25#'s and have the stamina to keep up PLUS to look good in those skimpy cycling outfits! ;) Nothing like taking up a new hobby at 55 & 57! Our kids were so impressed they bought bikes and started riding. We all use the "Map My Ride" app and we can track each other Live and see each others progress to compete even though we all live in different states.

Never too late in life to take up a hobby. Good for you.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I live in Costa Rica and i ride my bike even in the winter yayyyyyyyyyy!! love mountain bike!!!
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There is a mapmyride APP for your smart phone that I use. It's free!
    Helmet is first thing on my list as for accessories.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I have the helmets.

I will look into that app. Thanks
  • anchorgirl77
    Options
    We are DYING to get on our bikes again! This weekend was great weather in PGH, but decided to tear up our living room floor instead! Keep riding- it's as good for the body as it is your brain!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I have the helmets.

I will look into that app. Thanks

Love the Map My Ride App but warning it crashes once in a while. All in all a pretty good app. You can do Live tracking of Friends. One time my husband and I were riding and our son called from Indy and said, "So what are you doing on (such and such) Road?" He could track exactly where we were! LOL We have competitions on mileage etc.

I have my husbands app on his phone set live so when he goes on rides by himself, I can log in and see the "dot" on the map to see exactly where he is and if it's still moving so I know he's okay. If something God forbid every happened at least I would know where to start looking for him. He's had some asthma and other health issues and it worries me when he rides 50+ miles alone out on the country roads.