Protein shakes?

I am cutting weight but have been thinking about having a protein shake after my workout at night. I would like to hear from anyone that actually knows if this is or is not a good idea. My diary is open for looking. I workout 6 days a week doing the HASfit warrior 90 day program. Any help would be great thanks.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Diary's not open.

But generally speaking, if you can hit your protein goal, you don't need a protein supplement. If you're not hitting your protein goal, then you can try harder with whole foods that are protein rich, or you can introduce a protein supplement as a quick & easy way to up your protein. I tend to have a scoop or two daily just for convenience factor.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    I am cutting weight but have been thinking about having a protein shake after my workout at night. I would like to hear from anyone that actually knows if this is or is not a good idea. My diary is open for looking. I workout 6 days a week doing the HASfit warrior 90 day program. Any help would be great thanks.

nope, it's not.

but yeah man, it won't hurt. i like a protein shake shortly after working out because it's refreshing, it replenishes my body with tons of good stuff, and prevents the EAT ALL THE THINGS feeling i get an hour or so after working out.

check out my diary from today, the morning one, to see my protein shake recipie (everything but the coffee).
  • tobynapalm
    tobynapalm Posts: 14 Member
    I'm no expert, but I would say do it. Your muscles need the protein. I'm dumping weight too, and I do a shake after exercising. I think my diary is open if you want to check it out. Best of luck dude!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    It depends on your workout and how strenuous it is. But I think it might be a good idea as long as it doesn't put you over on calories. I generally have a protein shake after my harder workouts, it's a good way to replenish and help your body repair/recover.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Ok I changed settings it is open now.
  • jriehl08

nope, it's not.

but yeah man, it won't hurt. i like a protein shake shortly after working out because it's refreshing, it replenishes my body with tons of good stuff, and prevents the EAT ALL THE THINGS feeling i get an hour or so after working out.

check out my diary from today, the morning one, to see my protein shake recipie (everything but the coffee).

lol yours isn't open either
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    You're hundreds under your calorie goal every single day, and well under your protein goal every day.

Dump a scoop of protein into some ice cream and eat that!
  • jonnythan
    Netting 363 calories in a day, and getting 76 grams of protein, is not doing you any favors dude. The day before that you netted 867 and got 63 grams of protein.
  • jriehl08
    On the super low days I was really sick for about a few weeks with broncitous and couldn't eat
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    I'd say it's a good idea since you're not meeting your protein goal. I don't freak too much about timing, and have a protein shake or a double if I need the protein, or if I'm in a hurry and haven't eaten much protein for the day or if I'm craving sweet and don't need to eat anything sweet at that time lol... but yeah I think it's in the category of It's not gonna hurt(unless there is an unmentioned condition relating to protein catabolism)
    plus really good if you tend to get super hungry post work out... I usually make my shake n down half of it then sip it while making my snack/meal on occasions that I'm ravenous when I get home. :)

Just my personal use of protein shakes, if you're unsure, try it out. also if you're new to protein shakes in general I strongly recommend getting a shaker bottle... they're awesome(usually have a whisk looking ball in them) texture's a big deal to me.. My first container of protein shake(the same brand I now use) ended up in the trash because I tried to blend and spoon stir it- blender was too much clean up, spoon was just ineffective. Good luck :)
  • Capt_Apollo

nope, it's not.

lol yours isn't open either

fixed
  • jonnythan
    On the super low days I was really sick for about a few weeks with broncitous and couldn't eat

Well what about today? Looks like you've run about an 1160 calorie deficit today. Maybe more. Net calories: 1160.
  • jriehl08
    I also have been trying to up my calories I went from eating 5k-7k a day to not eating much at all. I was new and didn't know any better. I have been eating none stop lately or so it feels like and I still have a hard time getting my calories and protein up. Please don't be to hard on me.
  • jriehl08
    Im stuffed been full all day. I couldn't eat another bit if I had too.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    I love my morning smoothie. It gives me my fruit/sweet fix and then I throw in a scoop of protein power to give me a nice boost of protein! Especially if you are weight lifting you want that protein in your diet so you can rebuild that muscle!
  • jriehl08
    with eating better food I find it very hard to eat all the calories everyday
  • jonnythan

You don't need to eat better food. It's a million times better to eat pizza and hit your macros than it is to run 1500 calorie deficits getting half your protein goal.
  • Capt_Apollo

you're not eating the right better food.

avocados are great. tons of good calories and healthy fat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Eat some nuts if you need more cals and don't feel like you can eat much. One tiny ounce of walnuts has almost 200 calories! Doesn't take a lot to boost your calories and they are loaded with healthy fats. Definately have a protein shake after your workout.
  • jonnythan

And yeah you're not eating better food. Velveeta, Armour meatballs, Kraft Mac&Cheese, and sugary breakfast cereal grain snacks are not better than much of anything.

Look at your macros. Look at them again. Your goals are set appropriately. Now meet them. It doesn't matter that much how you get there, though you would be well advised to eat more veggies.