Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    HIIT is the $HIIT!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Watching people at the gym this weekend..Would a person lose weight faster strictly weight lifting or cardio

In terms of losing weight, it's pretty much a tie. Your exercise routine shouldn't be based on calorie burn or weight loss. Exercise is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to your eating habits. If you can eat in a deficit to lose without cardio, you don't need to do it. If you can't, do cardio to create the deficit. If you care how you look to any degree, make sure you're lifting from the start.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eat, Lift, Cardio. its like a happy triangle.

michaelbooth_link-with-tri-force-piece.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think most people who embrace a health lifestyle do both cardio and strength. Each burns calories and improves your bodies functions. The combination of how much of each will depend on your fitness and health goals.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You need strength training as well as cardio in whatever you do. My goal is to be the fastest runner I can be. I don't want big, heavy muscles so my strength training consists of doing a routine twice per week @ 50% the weight I would lift if I wanted to gain mass. I also do a core strength routine twice per week.

Strength:

I do all of these @ 2 sets of 12 repetitions.

Squats
    Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows
    Bench Press
    Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts
    Barbell Curls

Then I do the rotisserie core workout from Scooby's workshop. If you're curious what it is, here is the link to the video of Scooby demonstrating it. It's really easy to do and it has made a real difference in my life as a runner. It has all but eliminated the back pain I used to get from running and it allows me to keep proper running form when I'm fatigued which itself helps to prevent injuries cause by falling into bad form.

Remember, my goal is to be the best runner that I can be because I love the sport and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me besides the birth of my children. I imagine your goals are different so you should do your research, the information is out there. Just like with diet, it will take experimentation to find out what works for you but whatever your goals, strength training is critical.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Gotta do both.

I did a fairly even mix of both as I was losing the weight, but then slacked off on strength training as I ramped up my running time after going on maintenance. Big mistake. While I didn't regain any of the weight I'd lost, I quickly lost strength and began to have muffin top issues with some of my less forgiving pairs of jeans. In other words, my body fat percentage was moving in the wrong direction. I was running 25 - 30 miles a week and getting flabby!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing cardio since January and have lost 30 pounds. I've noticed a drastic increase in energy and endurance. I know that I will need to add weights into my routine soon, just haven't gotten to that point yet. I think both are important.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    HIIT Cardio will melt away the lbs with a quickness. Burns a lot of calroies during and you get the benifits of the afterburn you normally wouldn't get with cardio.

That's what I have found too. Was doing moderate effort cardio for a bit, but found near max high intensity cardio was just so much better and less time consuming anyways. Never understood "afterburn" until I started with it too and loving it.

HIIT cardio = Sprinters body
    Low Impact cardio = Marathoners body

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg

Yes, I'm sure all that sprinting gave him those arms. Maybe he was sprinting on his hands too?

PS - lift weights
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do both. I never saw it as one verse the other. I know you can lose weight doing either. ........

I know that is a bit of a dodge so if I had a gun to my head and I couldn't say do both. Then I would say do the weight lifting.

To some people weightloss IS that important !!! :D
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without doing either. I lift 3 times a week, and run at least 2 times. I do both because I enjoy both.
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    HIIT Cardio will melt away the lbs with a quickness. Burns a lot of calroies during and you get the benifits of the afterburn you normally wouldn't get with cardio.

That's what I have found too. Was doing moderate effort cardio for a bit, but found near max high intensity cardio was just so much better and less time consuming anyways. Never understood "afterburn" until I started with it too and loving it.

HIIT cardio = Sprinters body
    Low Impact cardio = Marathoners body

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg

Yes, I'm sure all that sprinting gave him those arms. Maybe he was sprinting on his hands too?

PS - lift weights

Maybe....he looks fit enough to pull that off don't you think...=)

On a serious note, lifting weights is also a must. I was just comparing types of running programs.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    awesome feedback thanks
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Abs are built in the kitchen..still cooking up mine! But heavy weights and cardio combined are great. There's purpose for both! But if you eat junk food all the time but workout your results will come slower..diet has so much to do with it!
  • Sweetypie25276
    Sweetypie25276 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to do some circuit traning in during the day, (30 min) and after dinner, I hit my elliptical for a nice 45 min "dead" burn. lol Usually by the time I am off, I can't feel my legs, nor can I hear (ear buds) but it's working!! This week after the elliptical, once I can feel my legs again, I'm going to do more of strength traning afterwards on the Bowflex. At the office on our 30 min circuit training we are working out with 8lb weights. I watch my calorie intake, 1200-1400, and I have lost about 13 lbs and 14 inches in a month. However, I measured myself the 2nd week into my lifestyle change, so I'm not sure what I was at the starting point, and I really don't care as long as the fat continues to burn off. Best of luck to you! :)
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anyone do one verse the other before....I think your body composition would make a difference in that....i.e. if you have a lot of excess fat, cardio will likely shed that quickly for you.

For most people, a good combination of the 2, you burn calories, build muscle, keep your metabolism rev'd up, etc.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think both are important. But from what I have seen on MFP, the people who have the most muscled and toned bodies do 2-3 days a week of heavy lifting and a little (if any) cardio. Just saying. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!