When you have a bad calorie day, what do you do?

Options
When you have a bad calorie day and eat way more than you're supposed to, do you guys try to make up for it the next day or do you just go back to your normal eating habits? I have found I usually have about one of these bad eating days a week, but I'm not sure what to do after it happens.

Replies

• hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I either try burning off the calories that same day or promise myself to do better the next day and work out harder. I think one day of "cheating" is okay, just not over doing it lol. :)
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I try to burn it off the same day or go to the gym the next day for a extra hour
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I try to make up for it, but just starve in the process, and end up binging again.

Better to cut my losses and move on.

As long as its only once..maybe twice a week, and the remainder of my week is good, I find I still lose weight.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    depends on the day but if its really bad, like a binge day, I just let it go and push forward
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    I ALWAYS make sure I enter it into my app. Even if I'm over, I don't feel guilty about not entering it. I have found that if I make an excuse once to not enter something in (like cake), then I start doing it more often.
    I try to eat healthier the next few days, but I don't freak out about it. I keep an eye on my weekly calories and try to stay within my limits. I'm usually under about 100 calories a day, so when I go over it isn't a huge deal.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Move on.. The scales usually readjust by the end of the week :)
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    I try to exercise more the next day and eat normally. Sometimes I go on a juice/smoothie diet the next day
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i say, from experience, just continue on as normal. i got into a really vicious cycle of binging and restricting and it just gets worse.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi been there, done that! I try to burn it off the same day and then I watch it and get back on track.
    I remind myself how this can get old.

good luck!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like to go about 100 calories under several days a week to allow for one "maintenance" day. It's not a terrible day, just a day when I can either celebrate with friends and family, or eat until my hunger/cravings are more satisfied.

I try to look ahead and plan the week so that these days stay one every week or two. I'm usually still under my calories for the week that way, either through better eating, or exercise that buys some calories back.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Log it as best I can and move on. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I try to be under most days, so if I have a day when I don't do so well, it's not a huge deal. I knew I was going to a girlfriends' luncheon today, and I wasn't sure what the hostess was serving, so I "saved" about 150 calories over the last few days to make up for it. At the end of the week, it all balances out.

It's important to keep on and not make excuses such as "oh, well, I blew today, so what the heck, I'll just eat what I want the rest of the day." That can become two days, then a week, then in my case, 10 years. I just don't want to go back there.
  • hapilaci2
    hapilaci2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be sure to log it, so tha you are holding yourself accountable. I have read a lot of things that say a cheat day once a week is important to "trick" your metabolism anyway. Also, I like the way MFP shows a weekly cazloire count. try to stay under that- maybe you can make up for the excess calories by an extra workout or decreased calories over the next few days. Do not be disocuraged, and DO NOT GIVE UP! everyone makes poor choices from time to time- but that's why you need to think of this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Do not consider yourself as limiting your foods, but making them count towards a positive new goal. Also, I try to think that I need tomake my calories count, instead of counting caloires. If you are eating the most nutricious foods you can, you will feel less inclined to eat something "bad" because all of your nutricional needs are being met! :) YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • _twinmomma
    Options
    From your weight loss so far, it sounds like you're already doing the right thing! I'm new here, but I would say "tomorrow is a new day" and start fresh the next day. (Of course, if you can work off the extra calories the same day, that's ideal!)

It doesn't make sense to me that you'd "borrow" calories from the next day because doing so would limit what your body needs that next day.

Also, if you're seeing this as a pattern each week and want to reign that in a bit, try setting up strategies that will prevent making the bad calorie day so bad. For example, if snacking that night is a problem - brush your teeth after you're done eating for the day so you're less likely to eat anything extra. Or, if there's a particular day of your week that's too busy and you don't track your food, plan what you'll eat ahead of time and enter the food before your day gets away from you.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i move on and realize that it's not setting me back too much anyhow. Somedays I have calories left over (i try to net my brm or no more than 1490) so it sometimes just evens out. I've had several bad days throughout this weight loss journey and even lost weight sometimes. Some people find success with having one day where they allow themselves to eat more calories. Hey, it's better than binging. I use to beat myself up and workout so hard to try to work it off, but that was horrible... accept it and remember you have tomorrow to get back on the right track. :)
  • zen1910
    zen1910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I see myself getting into a bad habit of splurging and restricting, which can get old and I'm worried it will become a habit.

I am definitely taking all of your advice and going to keep logging my food-even if it's over-and try to stay consistent. i know how dangerous it is to eat it but not write it down.

I also like the idea of exercising to make up for it-I think I'll try that for tomorrow, but I don't think I could make it a permanent habit. From what I'm getting here, the best thing to do is to not give up and keep going.

Thank you and happy weight loss :)
  • TarshCooper001
    TarshCooper001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a protein only day the next day - couple eggs for brekky, jerky 2 hours later, 100g tuna or turkey for lunch, either ham or protein bar 2 hours after that and 100g chicken for dinner, I only do weights that day also for the extra burn. It stops me from craving anything else that I have indulged in the day before eg. sugar or carbs. I then go back to normal the next day and dont have a problem.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Stop.

Collaborate and listen.
    No seriously. I just look at other people's journals and realize some people aren't perfect every day and are losing all the same. I find that those who let loose once a week have even better losses. The best thing to do is just start the next day fresh and make good choices from the morning.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    i say, from experience, just continue on as normal. i got into a really vicious cycle of binging and restricting and it just gets worse.

Amen.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If it's only one day, I don't worry about it.