Eggplant Curry

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Copy/Pasting from my cooking blog ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto )where I share authentic Indian/Pakistani/Arabic recipes. Most of the recipes are handed down to me by Late mother, my sister or my sister in law. Hope you enjoy it!

This recipe was given to me by my late mother. This is a highly nutritious and delicious recipe. Meat eaters like me enjoy it because of its meaty texture and don't miss meat a lot. Some of the unusual ingredients can be found at your local indian store. They're fairly cheap and almost all of the ingredients are used in every other Indian recipe so it won't be a waste Most of the spices last forever too. Hope you all like it :)

Ingredients:

1 Onion (medium, thinly sliced)
3 Tomatoes (Medium, thinly sliced)
1 lb Eggplant (Try to get the small sized ones. The smaller the better. Diced cut into 2 inch pieces)
2 small potatoes (Diced cut)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red chilli pepper powder (can also use cayenne powder if available)
1/3 tsp Turmeric powder (available at Indian stores)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (available in indian stores)
2 sticks of fresh curry tree leaves (don't use dried. You can skip if not available. Called kaddi patta in hindi)
3 green chillies (from Indian store. cut into small pieces)
3 tbsp olive oil
some cilantro

Recipe:

Saute the onion in a pot with the olive oil. Add cumin. Add eggplants and stir the pot. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, potatoes tomatoes and curry tree leaves. Add half cup water. Cook for about half hour. Add cilantro and green chillies. Cook for 5 more minutes and you have your delicious eggplant curry!

Enjoy this with some naan or other flat bread. Checkout the method for making roti which is easy and goes great with this!

This recipe makes at least 3 servings

Nutrition facts for the entire dish || per serving

Calories: 864 || 288
Carbs: 115g || 38
Fat: 43 || 14
Protein: 16 || 5
Fiber: 27 || 9

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mirasolabeille
    Options
    I have all the ingredients for this (apart from the curry leaves), and it sounds wonderful. That's tomorrow night sorted!
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What the ever-loving F? Is it good? I just may have to try it because "eggplant curry" has never even crossed my mind as an option.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yum! I have the eggplant, tomatoes and cilantro growing and all the rest in the pantry already so I'll be trying it out for sure. Thanks!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yum! Sounds great. i do love an eggplant curry. I can imagine it with some grilled firm tofu cubes or even some soy "chicken" chunks.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this. My daughter has been bugging me to make something with eggplant, as she is interested in trying it. Thanks, taunto.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love currys, will cook this tomorrow night :-) Thanks for sharing

Copy/Pasting from my cooking blog ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto )where I share authentic Indian/Pakistani/Arabic recipes. Most of the recipes are handed down to me by Late mother, my sister or my sister in law. Hope you enjoy it!

This recipe was given to me by my late mother. This is a highly nutritious and delicious recipe. Meat eaters like me enjoy it because of its meaty texture and don't miss meat a lot. Some of the unusual ingredients can be found at your local indian store. They're fairly cheap and almost all of the ingredients are used in every other Indian recipe so it won't be a waste Most of the spices last forever too. Hope you all like it :)

Ingredients:

1 Onion (medium, thinly sliced)
    3 Tomatoes (Medium, thinly sliced)
    1 lb Eggplant (Try to get the small sized ones. The smaller the better. Diced cut into 2 inch pieces)
    2 small potatoes (Diced cut)
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp red chilli pepper powder (can also use cayenne powder if available)
    1/3 tsp Turmeric powder (available at Indian stores)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (available in indian stores)
    2 sticks of fresh curry tree leaves (don't use dried. You can skip if not available. Called kaddi patta in hindi)
    3 green chillies (from Indian store. cut into small pieces)
    3 tbsp olive oil
    some cilantro

Recipe:

Saute the onion in a pot with the olive oil. Add cumin. Add eggplants and stir the pot. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, potatoes tomatoes and curry tree leaves. Add half cup water. Cook for about half hour. Add cilantro and green chillies. Cook for 5 more minutes and you have your delicious eggplant curry!

Enjoy this with some naan or other flat bread. Checkout the method for making roti which is easy and goes great with this!

This recipe makes at least 3 servings

Nutrition facts for the entire dish || per serving

Calories: 864 || 288
    Carbs: 115g || 38
    Fat: 43 || 14
    Protein: 16 || 5
    Fiber: 27 || 9
  • murmuration
    murmuration Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I love aubergine (what we call eggplant here :)) - one of those ingredients I don't think I could live without.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I've been wanting to learn how to cook eggplant.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing dish goes well with brown rice
    For those of you who can't find all of the ingredients in your area
    Use
    Onions -as desired
    Garlic- as desired
    Pepper (optional)
    Tomato
    Curry Power (contains cumin turmeric and other spices to make a curry powder blend)

Follow same Cooking instructions without the water the eggplant releases it's own water so simmer down and enjoy
    It is healthy & nutritious
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed the oil and potatoes --I'm not changing the recipe just trying to make it more convenient for those of you who don't have access to the speciality ingredients like the curry leaves which are already in the curry powder blend
  • runninglol
    runninglol Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love you! I've been dying to learn how to cook Indian food. I'll be checking out your page this weekend!
  • GavanB
    GavanB Posts: 6
    Options
    I cooked this a couple of weeks ago when I first saw the thread, and have cooked it again a couple of times since. Insanely tasty, especially with just a touch of hot lime pickle on the side.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I love Indian food, and I have been meaning to add eggplant into my diet. Thanks!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Looks good...Thanks! :)
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yum! I want to try it. Thanks for sharing!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yummy. Thanks for the recipe. Will try soon.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Definitely going to have to try this in the near future!
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options
    Sounds delicious!!!