• ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I <3 Skinnytaste!

I like the skinny chicken enchiladas, but hands-down my favorite is the jalapeno popper chicken. Portion size isn't a problem for me. If I need it, I double the portion.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I can eat quite a bit more than 200 calories for my main meal (I know that might change as I lose weight), so 200 plus some veg would not usually be enough for me! But my point was really that you don't always need special recipes. If you eat healthy home-cooked food, you might just need to have smaller portions of it. The advantage of recipes like these is that the calories are pre-counted, rather than you having to work it out yourself. (And also something baked in a dish like this is easier to portion out than something in a pan!).

I getcha... I never was great at cooking and working out nutrition, and now that I am married I find I am cooking more :)
  • Kannu55
    Kannu55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am not much into non veg food so becomes very difficult to control carbs through vegetarian food--- so I keep concocting low carb vegetarian recipes-- I post them on my Fb page "Low Carb Weightloss"--- take a look. Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Low-Carb-Weightloss/354285474685364?ref=hl
  • ConleighS
    Options
    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! skinnytastes.com I made the cheeseburger casserole the other night for the first time! It was fabulous! Just like everything I have made from the site! I have been cooking things from this site for about six months now and I have still to find something I don't care for. It is a great way to change up your food with staying in your calories. Some of the things I have made are like, there is no way that is healthy, but it is!!!!! Well as long as you stay in the proper serving sizes of course. :wink:

I can't get over how many people have a issue with the severing sizes? I make the food all the time and I have lots a healthy vegetables with what ever I chose to make and I am full I couldn't even imagine eating more. Try the Spinach Prosciutto and Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes and some veggies! Best dinner ever!

I am fine with the the portions too. Interesting you should suggest the pork tenderloin recipie... I have one in the freezer I have been trying to figure out what do to with it since I have never fixed one before.
  • ConleighS
    Options
    Someone may have already said this but ALWAYS calculate the nutrition instead of going by what is posted on the website. Not saying that her calculations are incorrect but due to different brands of products and "light" vs. "low fat" vs. "reduced fat," etc.. macros can be way off. Additionally, the portion sizes are really small. Everything I have made is tasty though!

Thanks for that...so much for not having to use my brain to cook (LOL), I see what you mean though
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love skinnytaste. Her recipes are great, and easy to adapt if you have other eating preferences. I love her White Bean Turkey Chilli, and Crock Pot Picadillo. Oh My God, you have to try her Slow Cooked Jerk Pork with Caribbean Salsa. I'm eating this stuff and losing weight, it's fantastic!
  • ConleighS
    Options
    I like her site. The mini turkey meatloaf & meringue cookies are a hit at our house. Same with the crock pot picadillo.

you are the second or third person to mention the meatloaf and the crock pot picadillo...I will have to check those out

Thanks
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use her recipes quite often. The jalapeno popper chicken is TO DIE FOR!

Ooh, good to know!

As for the portion sizes, I really do think they are plenty (and I am on 1800 calories a day). For example, a serving size for the Mushroom Stroganoff is 1 1/2 cups, which is a lot, and only has 268 calories.

I have not made any of her baked goods, however, so maybe those are the portion sizes that everyone says are so small?
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OH Yeah!! Favorite site for recipes. Have loved every one I have tried. & contrary to what some have said on here, I think portions for the most part are generous! If they seem small to some, its because we are used to eating double & triple portions. 1/2 - 1 cup sizes are normal. Anyway Yes, lots of good choices. :flowerforyou:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was like the poster on first page who was almost lost at "skinny"... BUT tons of great recipes there - glad I checked it out.

I also like that most of the Skinny Taste recipes are already in the database here.

I recently tried her Slow Cooker Jerk Pork and it was insanely good. She used pork shoulder, but I only had a lean pork loin at home so I used it and it still came out perfect IMO.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    for everyone who keeps saying they think the portion sizes are too small.. they're actually more like the portion sizes you SHOULD be eating vs. what americans think the correct portion size is; hence why everyone is overweight!
  • susieq19
    susieq19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended skinnytaste.com to me. I love it! My favorite recipe is the Sloppy Joes's . I put them on the 80 cal healthy life wheat bun. They are great!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    for everyone who keeps saying they think the portion sizes are too small.. they're actually more like the portion sizes you SHOULD be eating vs. what americans think the correct portion size is; hence why everyone is overweight!

It really depends on the person, but a 200 - 300 calorie meal three times a day is only 600 - 900 calories for the day. Most people "should" be eating more than that. That's fine, because it gives the calorie count, and then people can have more than one portion if they want to eat more at that meal, or give more than one portion to other family members who are not dieting.

A normal portion size for pasta, for instance, is about 75g. The cheeseburger casserole recipe gives 6oz of pasta (about 170g?) for nine people, so about 19g each (if I've worked it out right!)! Even for me (shortish woman, dieting), 19g would be a small portion. I eat closer to 50g at a sitting. A meat portion is about 80g. That recipe contains about 450g of meat, which is about 50g per person. And the recipe was originally meant to be for 12 people, not 9. This is not a criticism of the recipe - just saying that it's not a healthy-sized main meal for most people. It might be just right for some people (e.g. after WLS). It also might be fine if the person was having a meal with a number of courses and/or side dishes, or if they have a lot of small meals/snacks throughout the day, rather than three meals a day.

I'd agree that people often do eat portions that are too big (I've done it myself in the past! I'm much more aware now!). I just don't think a 200 calorie meal is representative of what portions SHOULD be - it's a bit too extreme.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

It really depends on the person, but a 200 - 300 calorie meal three times a day is only 600 - 900 calories for the day. Most people "should" be eating more than that. That's fine, because it gives the calorie count, and then people can have more than one portion if they want to eat more at that meal, or give more than one portion to other family members who are not dieting.

A normal portion size for pasta, for instance, is about 75g. The cheeseburger casserole recipe gives 6oz of pasta (about 170g?) for nine people, so about 19g each (if I've worked it out right!)! Even for me (shortish woman, dieting), 19g would be a small portion. I eat closer to 50g at a sitting. A meat portion is about 80g. That recipe contains about 450g of meat, which is about 50g per person. And the recipe was originally meant to be for 12 people, not 9. This is not a criticism of the recipe - just saying that it's not a healthy-sized main meal for most people. It might be just right for some people (e.g. after WLS). It also might be fine if the person was having a meal with a number of courses and/or side dishes, or if they have a lot of small meals/snacks throughout the day, rather than three meals a day.

I'd agree that people often do eat portions that are too big (I've done it myself in the past! I'm much more aware now!). I just don't think a 200 calorie meal is representative of what portions SHOULD be - it's a bit too extreme.

i agree with you when you say a 200-300 calorie meal isn't typically enough; as I also eat more than that. However, when I do make one of her recipes I add a salad and veggies and/or a cup of pasta depending on the meal so it ends up being close to 500-600 calories in the end.
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker Santa Fe Chicken is my new obsession! so good and feels like loads due to shredded chicken!
  • dmcruz08
    dmcruz08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love all of the recipes I have tried from this site! They are filling, too! Enjoy!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love Gina's recipes. I think my family has loved almost every single one I've made. I have teenagers and a hungry husband, so I typically double every recipe, and that works out great. I personally usually have a serving and a half. Last night I made Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy and it was amazing!
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I cook using her recipes nearly every night!! They are delicious and full of flavor.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm making the Santa Fe Chicken in my crock pot as we speak! I am obsessed with this site. So many healthier versions of food I love! For those complaining about the portions I find most of the recipes suggest to pair with rice, salad, etc to make it a full meal. I'm going to make some quinoa to go with the Santa Fe Chicken and I can't wait!