Seeking shoe advice....

Options
The only reasons I've ever bought athletic shoes were the way they looked and whether they could keep my feet from hurting at work, so I'm pretty clueless here...

I'm hoping to start the Couch to 5k program soon and I'm obviously going to need some shoes. Budget is a big factor here, there's not a lot of wiggle room in my checkbook right now.

I'll be running mostly on pavement but there are some trails near my parents house I'd love to run as well.

I assume I'll also be needing a proper fitting since I keep seeing terms like 'pronation' and my guess is the high school kid working at the local Footlocker will be pretty clueless.

Any suggestions on a decent pair/brand of shoes for a beginning runner, and maybe an idea of where I can go for a proper fitting?

Replies

• WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Smaller chains like RoadRunner Sports (if you have them near you) or a boutique running store are a good place to get fitted. They should help you out whether you buy there or not. As for recommending a shoe, I can't do that for you. There are too many factors to consider, and what works for me may not work for you. Personally, I do better with Brooks brand shoes, but my neighbor swears by New Balance.
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really love my Skechers Shape-ups Liv model. I love them so much I bought 2 pairs, one for outside and others for indoor practice. I would wear them to work if I could. I found them on sale, cost me $100 for both.
    They have a spongy bottom so I can run on concrete in them. They are the definition of comfortable.