weightloss with only walking??

Options

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind - exercise to get fit, eat at a deficit to lose weight. The way you burn your calories makes no difference so long as you maintain a calorie deficit. You can lose all the weight you want without exercising at all and just tracking calories.

^^^ THIS, weight loss comes in the kitchen, fitness from exercise.
  • candybee28
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I've been walking 35 km a week for a month now. I can truly see the inches coming off. Not only that, I'm starting to feel really good about myself again! I'm hoping to get down to 125.
    Cheers!
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my knee so can't run, but CAN walk :-)

walk 4 days a week, static cycle the other 3

you burn roughly the same calories whether you walk, crawl or run, 3 miles is 3 miles, runners just get there quicker :-)

interval training, ie putting hills in is very good for you & burns 60% more than on the flat so a healthy mix is good.

AND you get to see the flowers, I LOVE WALKING :smile:
  • Pottermouse
    Pottermouse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill 4 evenings a week, this being my 3rd week. So far, so good and I can see results on the scale and in inches (not measured myself but I can see it in my clothes already).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Anything that creates a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight.
  • reillyjenii
    reillyjenii Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i just got a new treadmill today. Goin to hopefuly do 1 hour on it 4/5times a week. Eating is my biggest battle i constantly crave junk food and usually always end up giving in. Am having a good healthy day today altho i was so close to goin to the shop and buying a packet of biscuits just before. Had a coffee and 2 slices cheese instead. Hoping i can lose these 7kilos i gained with good diet and walking. Fingers crossed :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight with only walking. It's a function of calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite exercise. I enjoy outdoor walking the most. Lowering your calories will help you to lose weight. Exercise will help you to look good in that smaller body.
  • gretalynndavis
    Options
    i am only walking right now , i dont have a treadmill i just walk at the walk park, after i lose a few pounds i will add other
    exercises , at 228lbs its hard to do any thing eles so i walk.:happy:
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The majority of the weight I lost last year was through walking around the lakes and woods near our home.

The best thing I ever bought that helped weight loss was a good pair of walking boots as it meant I could walk in any weather.
    There are days when im under the weather or tired and don't feel like I can face the gym or a run, but a walk is always doable and I think that's the key.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lb with just walking. Took me 5 months.
  • annlsinger
    annlsinger Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    annlsinger

I started on October 15 in a study at UCSF. It is a pre-diabetes prevention study and the there are three components: walk 12,000 steps per day (they do a baseline assessment of your average daily steps for two weeks at the beginning and you start at that level and increase by 20% each week), count and log calories (mine were to be between 1500 and 2000), and answer a phone ap twice per day. The goal is to reduce your body weight by 10% and reduce your fasting glucose level.

It is March 12 (jus 3 days short of 5 months). I've lost 56 pounds, about 18% of my body weight, and am walking 12,000 steps (about 6 miles--takes me a bit over two hours) every day that I can. I always get the steps done on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I get alot of steps (about 9,000-10,000) in on Tuesdays and Fridays. For various reasons having to do with work and child....Wednesdays and Thursdays are a bit of a challenge, but I do as much as I can.

All steps count. I go to Curves 4 times per week (and that counts in the step totals).

I'm feeling great. I have quite a ways to go. But, what a difference 5 months and 56 pounds can make.

The study is over in a couple of weeks, but I plan on continuing just the way I have been going.

I'd love some friends here, so send a message!
  • wbergea
    wbergea Posts: 22
    Options
    I lost the first 30 lbs. by portion control and walking 30 to 40 minutes a day. Added weight training over the last 3 months. You can lose quite a bit of weight by taking a brisk walk every day. Good luck!
  • Andreaa0729
    Andreaa0729 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main exercise!! Lost 100 lbs in a little over 8 months now!!
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I got a Bowflex Treadclimber and started using it religiously in mid-Jan and so far have lost 6 pounds and approx. 10 inches on my abs, butt and thighs.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Amazes me how many people lost weight with just walking..

Pics anyone?
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 with just walking as my exercise of course I gained all of it back and then some because I let life in general and tragic things get in my way .,.... I started back Jan 25th of this year and have lost 11 pounds walking with Leslie Sansone dvd's I just bought a new one that has resistance bands while walking with Leslie
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight by doing cardio 25 down 5 more to go. I switched from the treadmill to the stair master for awhile but iam back to the treadmill an strenght training . Good luck: :happy:
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I was my heaviest, I could only walk 15 or 20 minutes (slowly). Due to a foot issue, I can't run, but I can now walk at a solid 4MPH for 3 - 5 miles at a time. I am a strong believer in do what you can. If you can only walk to the end of your driveway, do that. The next day try walking past the driveway, the next day maybe the end of the street. And before you know it, you're walking everywhere.

I do more now. I do Zumba and BodyPump and Tae Bo. But it started with some very slow walks.
  • Ekboriqua
    Ekboriqua Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I started with MFP, I started at 155, then you can say I fell off the wagon gained 13lbs, so started over at 168 so I am now down 22lbs, I walk on the treadmill mon-friday for 60 minutes, sometimes longer if my day is bad, I take out my fustrations on it instead of food. I also go walking on my lunch break with my co-worker, though she say sometimes I try to beat her, sometimes I ride my bike if the weather is good. Hope to do more biking and add weights when I'm down closer to my goal weight if I don't change my mind about my goal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!