bump
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dan, the info and advice you've provided here is great. I've done all the calculations and I'm eating 20% less than TDEE which seems to be working for me.

I have a question though. Should you still add your exercise calories burned and eat them? I know this gets asked a lot, in a million variations, but suddenly I'm confused.

You see, I've gone from only exercising a couple of times a week, to exercising 5-6 days a week (swimming and strength training). So I redid my calculations, increasing my activity level from Light Activity to Moderate.

But now, if I add the calories I've earned from exercise, haven't they already been accounted for in my TDEE calculation?
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am giving this a try as well. Did my calculations y'day and have updated my goals accordingly. I am also aiming to eat 20% less TDEE which works out to just over 1800 cals. Like the previous poster, I am abit confused if I should be eating any of my exercise calories. I presume not but not 100% sure.
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump

so my calories should look more like 1900? Its a bit scary!
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As long as you are set to the right activity level it accounts for those calories burned, so you don't eat back the calories as you've already eaten them iyswim.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Dan, the info and advice you've provided here is great. I've done all the calculations and I'm eating 20% less than TDEE which seems to be working for me.

I have a question though. Should you still add your exercise calories burned and eat them? I know this gets asked a lot, in a million variations, but suddenly I'm confused.

You see, I've gone from only exercising a couple of times a week, to exercising 5-6 days a week (swimming and strength training). So I redid my calculations, increasing my activity level from Light Activity to Moderate.

But now, if I add the calories I've earned from exercise, haven't they already been accounted for in my TDEE calculation?

If you are following the Roadmap, your TDEE includes yuor exercise and you don't eat them back.

Good Luck
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So are you guys not logging exercise then?
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I log exercise as 1 and record my calories burnt in my exercise diary.
  • chubby2day
    Options
    bump! great info!:happy:
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and good but I can barely eat 1200 calories a day, by your numbers I should be eating like 1600-1700 - can't do it.................bwahahahahaha - just kidding! Thank you for re-posting this Dan and I hope with the additional information and explanations that some people will get it. I personally really appreciate the time and effort you put into this :flowerforyou:
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Now this is so scary. I calculated my BMR and I was just like wow.
    My numbers are 3274 for moderately active as I exercise 5 days a week for between 1-2 hrs each day.
    Do you think I will lose any weight eating this or 20% of that?
    I've been at the same weight of 209pounds, I've not been a ble to lose a single pound in like almost a year and I exercise and diet.
    What do you think is the problem, and I eat around 1500-1800 cals.
    Thank you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So are you guys not logging exercise then?
    I've been logging it as one calorie, then commenting on it. I was logging it but not "eating it back", but that got annoying.
  • Reedikulus
    Options
    Bump!
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Bump