rest days

Options
I'm doing circuit training 3x/week and cardio 2x/week, leaving me with 2 rest days. On rest days, if I feel like I could work out, should I? Or would that be a bad idea? I'm fairly out of shape, but I've seen progress in only a week's time, and it's tempting to skip resting tomorrow and go for a run. I typically hate working out, but the progress I'm seeing already is making it more bearable and even exciting.

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    REST! Even if you don't feel like it, your body really does need at least 2 res days a week. You could do something a little more low-impact like swimming or light cycling, yoga, flexibility training, etc but don't do too much too soon else you'll be regretting it sooner or later
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree - your muscles need time to repair themselves to prevent injury and strain. Go for a walk, but no serious anything.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like to rest on the weekends. My energy level to work out is much better during the work week than on a weekend. Plus I kinda like to catch up on my sleep on the weekends ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I hate rest days.. My boyfriend makes me promise not to work out at least 1 day a week.. and I don't break promises.. We decided Monday's will be our rest days for now (because the gym is so freakin crowded on Mondays!! it's ridiculous!!)

I was doing other stuff before he made me promise to actually rest on rest days.. but now I rest.. *sigh*.. it's killing me.. i want to swim or go kickbox or something.. LOL
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i workout every day, works for me. I cant promise it will work for you.

personally i would recommend to just listen to your body.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I say go for the run if you want to run. I work out everyday (or almost, have missed 5 days since Nov 1) I alternate muscle groups but do some form of cardio everyday. I just feel better when I do it.
  • nosillanosilla
    Options
    Go run if you want to. I have 4 workout sessions per week that I stick to no matter what (M, W, F mornings and F nights). Saturday is generally a total rest day and depending on how I feel, Tu, Th and Sun can be rest or workout days. Keeps me on track but also flexible.
  • terrie357
    Options
    Personally I feel "lazy" on rest days! I tried to choose one day but by that day, I had to do something even if it's 15 on the elliptical.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I can see good points from both sides. I think I'll compromise. Rather than going for a run, I'll go for either a long walk at a normal pace, or a shorter walk at a brisk pace.
  • GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    My one rest day is sunday and I have decided to walk the dog am and pm. It is good for him and it keeps me active. Some days I might have to miss a workout or 2. I hate those days cause I really want to workout, but duty calls.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What are these "rest days" you speak of? I workout every day and most days twice per day with no problems. The key is to mix it up. My "light days" are Fridays when I typically run 6 miles and do an hour of Yoga.

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel very guilty on rest days too, as I feel I need to constantly work on something.

However, I do force myself to rest. If I have to do something, I do some yoga or stretching videos just to get that "productivity mindset" out.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I too workout everyday, its been working for me and I have the time but everyone is different.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have an active rest day. I usually do a simple 3 mile slow walk at the dog park on those days. Or if I am working I just dont' do anything.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What are these "rest days" you speak of? I workout every day and most days twice per day with no problems. The key is to mix it up. My "light days" are Fridays when I typically run 6 miles and do an hour of Yoga.

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com

Well, that's great for you! Congratulations on your awesome workout prowess! Understand, however, that you're talking to someone who can't run longer than 15 minutes before I have to stop and walk. I've never touched a yoga mat in my life. Heck, I'm just barely flexible enough to ALMOST touch my toes with my longest finger.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I run errands on my rest day this way I am not just sitting around. I park the car further in the lots of where I need to be so I walk a little further..I am in and out of the car all day on rest days..this way I feel at least I am not just sitting..:smile:
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure you get 1-2 rest days. They ARE necessary. I just take one rest day a week. I have a really hard time taking them sometimes because I worry about getting off track so there are weeks I don't take one at all but I am trying to just plan Sunday's as rest days unless something comes up in the week where I can't workout.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What I do is exercise every weekday evening and Saturday morning then I rest Sunday through to Monday night effectively 2 and a half days rest while only really only missing out 1 day
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely definitely...... DEFINITELY rest! No matter what other Super Humans say or do in regards to their lack of rest days, you're body absolutely needs the down time for reasons too numerous to post here. It's amazing that you are as motivated as you are now with the results that you are seeing! Use that motivation to take care of your body and help it operate at its max... By allowing it to rest.
    Even machines eventually breakdown from over use. Take care of yourself.

Lol worst case if you absolutely must do something (which I understand) buy some grip strengtheners and squeeze those a few sets through the day!

Again, Great job on staying motivated!!!!
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run errands on my rest day this way I am not just sitting around. I park the car further in the lots of where I need to be so I walk a little further..I am in and out of the car all day on rest days..this way I feel at least I am not just sitting..:smile:

Effective!