Runners... I need your advice

Options
Let me just start off by saying I am NOT a runner. Unless someone is chasing me, I DO NOT RUN.

However, I would like to start. I have no idea what to do or even HOW to start.

HELP!!!!

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    awesome!!

first, you need to check out c25k, it's a running programme that's designed to get people from NO running experience to running 5km ( 3.1 miles) by gentle intervals of walking and light jogging.

It REALLY does work, and you will be amazed at the progress you make if you train with honesty. It is totally do-able.

For best results, use an app on your smartphone, there are lots to chose from , many are free.

Also, try and do this in RUNNING shoes, not tennis shoes or general sneakers, as your feet will thank you for it! Also, try and do c25k outdoors, it CAN be done on a treadmill, but I like you too much to subject yourself to the misery of doing this indoors :-)

I did this plan less than a year ago and am training for my first marathon...

good luck and feel free to friend me :-)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K

Get fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store

Check out this website: goodformrunning.com

Have fun!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can also check the magazine rack at your local grocery store for a copy of Runner's World... I read it often and frequently there is an article on beginning running... you may be able to check the website and get the same information

I find the most helpful bit of advice is to just sign up for a race - a 5K and tell a few people you are training for it... you wont want to back out!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yup, what they said... c25k... run awhile, walk awhile, repeat.

Good shoes are a must, but they do not have to be terribly expensive. Go to a reputable athletic store to get fitted the first time, one where they put you on a treadmill and watch your gait and actually evaluate your feet. Different models of shoes are for different kinds of feet. Wrong shoes can mean a lot of pain, not to mention wasted money. Pay some attention to your socks as well. Your feet will thank you!

ETA: Runner's World has a yearly subscription rate of under $20 if you decide you like it. Lots of great advice in there as well.
  • DawnIP25
    DawnIP25 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am not a runner, following an operation on my right thigh I haven't ran. Not really sure how I would as i have not done so since 2007. I do spend time on the treadmill at the gym but do it as a brisk walk.
    Will be doing race for life later in the year, will do 5km and see how it goes. Have been doing some training see no problems in just building up to the 5km.
    Would anyone know how I might actually be able to take up running, I would be scared of doing it alone and am not sure if it is possible for me to run. I had the quad muscle removed following cancer.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'd like to do this outside. I live in Michigan so the weather is questionable pretty much every day. It's cold out now.. Should I be starting this in the cold? So many questions..
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K

Get fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store

Check out this website: goodformrunning.com

Have fun!

this
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was right where you are just over a year ago! Never was a runner, never wanted to, and had the same "only if I'm being chased" policy. :tongue:

I will also recommend c25k - I started it in January of last year, completed the program and I'm still running - and liking it! If you can get outside to run, do it. I started in winter (although I DO live in California!) and completed each session rain or shine, freezing temps or warm, and I still do. Although I realize Michigan is a lot different, so do what you gotta do, but if you can run outside and can get the warm running gear for it, go for it!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I'd like to do this outside. I live in Michigan so the weather is questionable pretty much every day. It's cold out now.. Should I be starting this in the cold? So many questions..

It's actually easier to run in the cold. Just dress like it's 20 degrees warmer so you don't overheat once you're warmed up.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Ummm . . . run? LOL!

Like someone said get fitted for running shoes at a running store NOT a sports store. They'll put you on a TM and assess your gait and give you shoes based on that. And don't skimp on the shoes either!! The great thing about the running store is all you do when you need new shoes is hand them the old ones and say "I need these" and they'll find you either an updated version (if there is one) or same shoe different brand. I'm not "brand specific". For me it's whatever brand feels good on my feet.

I have never done the C2K program but I have heard it's good. When I started running I just . . . ran. Well, not really. I did a run/walk kind of thing, increasing my running time each time I ran even if it was by a few seconds. The first time I ran a mile without walking was the greatest feeling in the world!

As far as wanting to run outside: Since it's still kind of chilly out there and the weather is iffy (your weather is like mine so I know where you're coming from) you'll have to spend more $$ on proper, warm, outside attire and I don't know if you want to do that or not. If I were you I'd start out on the TM and when it starts getting warmer -- like in a few weeks -- move it outside but be mindful that outside running is a lot more difficult than TM running so don't get discouraged if you get tired and don't do "as well' as you did on a TM.

Oh, and YAY for wanting to run!!!!
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    join nike+! it's addicting. but the good kind of addiction.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. For sure. I started it a year ago and will do my first half marathon next month (scary!)

And of course, properly fitted shoes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I live in Indiana and I've been running outside all winter. It's easier for me to run in the cold than the heat.

I wear an insulated base layer (like Under Armour, but I get mine from Target cause I'm cheap), with a layer over top (pants and a fleece sweatshirt typically). Gloves (the smart touch kind, so I can use my phone) and a hat and I'm set. I add a face mask on days that are really windy.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Ummm . . . run? LOL!

Like someone said get fitted for running shoes at a running store NOT a sports store. They'll put you on a TM and assess your gait and give you shoes based on that. And don't skimp on the shoes either!! The great thing about the running store is all you do when you need new shoes is hand them the old ones and say "I need these" and they'll find you either an updated version (if there is one) or same shoe different brand. I'm not "brand specific". For me it's whatever brand feels good on my feet.

I have never done the C2K program but I have heard it's good. When I started running I just . . . ran. Well, not really. I did a run/walk kind of thing, increasing my running time each time I ran even if it was by a few seconds. The first time I ran a mile without walking was the greatest feeling in the world!

As far as wanting to run outside: Since it's still kind of chilly out there and the weather is iffy (your weather is like mine so I know where you're coming from) you'll have to spend more $$ on proper, warm, outside attire and I don't know if you want to do that or not. If I were you I'd start out on the TM and when it starts getting warmer -- like in a few weeks -- move it outside but be mindful that outside running is a lot more difficult than TM running so don't get discouraged if you get tired and don't do "as well' as you did on a TM.

Oh, and YAY for wanting to run!!!!

^^^ I have to agree with this 100%. I started out running in Nike "running" shoes. I ran in them for a couple years. I just recently bought a pair of real running shoes and I can not believe the difference. I bought some shoes called HOKA One One and I have never felt anything like this on my feet before. My times have even got faster because of them. It's like running on marshmallows. Expensive but worth every penny.
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also used c25k. I ran my first 5k Thanksgiving last year. I kept up running through the winter and am training for a half marathon now. I used the active.com app to train. I tried some others but liked it best. I think it only cost 1.99. Like others have said get good shoes. I went from horrible shin and knee pain to none once I had my new shoes. After I finished c25k I got the nike+ app and I love that you can use it both outside and on TM and it keeps great totals. Good luck. I went from hating even the thought of running to actually enjoying it. :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    It's already been said but seriously, give C25K a try. I was the same way you were when I started running, now I love it!
  • ForestFit
    Options
    I am doing the C25K .. just got back from first session in wk4 and it is freezing here. Even in the cold you warm up pretty quickly, though it is more comfy if your skin doesn't get too cold so gloves are useful (I left mine at home today).

I am NOT a runner - never been able to run and I still dont class myself there all I am doing is a very light jog but it gets me breathing hard. The program does improve stamina - from what I read you can improve speed later. When I started I couldnt even manage week 1 - I was jogging for just 30-40s at a time. My initial goal was just to get through week 1 but the good point it that even though it is a structured program you can repeat weeks as many times as you like.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice to try C25K, here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Oops, missed this. I'm in MI too. I found that low 20s is my threshhold for running outside, but I much prefer it to be over 30. What can I say...I'm a wimp LOL. I hit the treadmill when I need to, but definitely prefer outside. If it's over 30, I wear cold gear running tights, a cold gear, long sleeve mock turtleneck shirt, and a jacket with thumb holes. I wear convertible mittens so that if I warm up, I can flip the fingers open while keeping the core of my hand covered. I wear either an Under Armour hat, or an Under Armour headband with ear covers. I wear compression socks on my legs for longer runs (which help keep me warm too).

If it's 20 to 30 degrees, I'll wear a second pair of running tights, and my long sleeve shirt that has a full turtleneck with a breathing panel that I can pull up over my nose to keep my face warmer.

And watch out for ice. It can get slippery!