Runners... I need your advice

Options
13»

Replies

• long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can share my experience as someone who went from being sedentary to a relatively long-distance runner in a short time-span. I started running in mid-October of last year, ran my first half-marathon on Nov 24, and ran 20 miles this past Saturday (03/09).

My advice is to start out with long walks. Turn those into run-walks.. What I did was run as far as I could and when I got winded, I would walk/rest until I could do it again. I just repeated this daily for distances in the 4-5 mile range. After about two weeks, I could run a 5k non-stop.

From there, I started running 3-8k daily. The distance quickly increased for me. I enjoy running, so that helped a lot, I'm sure. By six-seven weeks, I ran my first half-marathon.

Everyone's fitness level and mindset is different, but it really does boil down to determination and putting one foot in front of the other.

In terms of physical pain/injury/preventing injury, my biggest concern is knee pain. I over-pronate, and it is evidenced in the wear patterns in my shoes. As a result, I do have knee pain from the slight mis-alignment of my knee cap(s) from the over-pronation. Knee pains are something to keep in check - and proper shoes are supposed to help. Then again, unless you significantly increase your distance, you may not experience knee pain. Most other pains I have experienced are muscle related, though, and are of no major concern.

As for the C5K, C25K, half-marathon, and marathon "training guides," I don't see a huge advantage to these things. I also think they are limiting. I went from "couch to 5k" in only ~ two weeks. But the C5K guide is nine weeks I think. Again, everyone is different, and I know a lot of people see value in these programs. My own training just exceeded them, though.

One thing that helped me increase my time and distance quickly was using a GPS-based sports tracker (Endomondo specifically). It has an audio coach, records your distances, best times/performances, and allows you to visualize your progress. It also estimates calorie burn and integrates with MyFitnessPal automatically. It really provided me with an incentive to go the distance.
  • Running_Tanya
    Running_Tanya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this. My sister wants me to run a half marathon with her. I have bad knees but I still want to start running. Hopefully by next year I'll be ready. Are there any suggestions in Houston TX as to where to get fitted for running shoes? I went to Sports Authority and they just measured my feet.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Was a Barnes & Noble over the weekend. Saw a magazine in the fitness area that was the 2013 guide to beginning running. It was like a souped up magazine/soft cover booklet. They wanted $20 so I wasn't interested in paying for all kinds of info I probably already had, but it did look easy to read for a new runner. Don't have the exact title, but it shouldn't be hard to locate for $20!!!

:-)

Good luck. Running can be addicitng.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, but I was just reading some really good reviews for the Runkeeper app:

http://gizmodo.com/5948398/the-best-fitness-apps
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this. My sister wants me to run a half marathon with her. I have bad knees but I still want to start running. Hopefully by next year I'll be ready. Are there any suggestions in Houston TX as to where to get fitted for running shoes? I went to Sports Authority and they just measured my feet.

In Houston there is a small chain of stores called "On the Run". Considered one of the best in the country. You are lucky.
  • rafa46
    rafa46 Posts: 18
    Options
    1. Get your feet/gait assessed at a proper running shop - then buy a decent pair of running shoes
    2. Start by alternating walking and running - gradually increase the running and decrease the walking.
    3. Make sure you keep hydrated.
    4. Don't forget to have rest days for your body to recover.
    5. Enjoy it! :smile:
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Like you, I never had any interest in running growing up. It wasnt until I was 38 yrs old that I put my gym membership on hold and needed something that I could do that didnt involve a ton of equipment. I started with the Couch 2 5k program and was so amazed at my results that I decided to keep going. Since then, I've run a few 5ks, a few 10ks, and a couple of half marathons. I highly recommend the Couch to 5k, but if you decide to start running, make sure you go to a store that specializes in running and get your gait/feet analyzed so that you can get the proper shoe for you. Good Luck!!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    C25K seems to be foolproof, but I did p90x25K...after 5 weeks of p90x, I went out and three miles just to see if I could- and I did!

My first run was at the very end of March 2012. In August I ran my first half marathon and found that crossing a finish line is incredibly motivating. 5 months later my half marathon time dropped from my initial 2:07 to 1:49- and for the second one, I decided to run the 6.4 miles to the start before the event. Saturday will be my first full marathon. C2M in less than 12 months at age 40.

I want to stress that I did NOT think I would enjoy running; in fact, I was shocked. I didn't even really enjoy walking- I considered both to be painfully boring. That said, you are much younger than I am, and if you put your mind to it, you can achieve immense success! I will reiterate that running is addictive, and once you run that first race, you'll be hooked!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I said these exact words last October. All of my friends are runners -- okay not ALL of them but a TON of them. Real runners too; marathoners, tri-athletes. I said I wouldn't ever run and then I started WOGing (walk/jogging) outside and realized that it was really good for my mental health. The WOGing turned into interval training which eventually resulted in being able to do 13.5 miles in one fell swoop – a very slow fell-swoop. I loved seeing the big ol' calorie burn and watching my weight drop. (I've put this on hold because I also started seeing my lean body mass drop so I'm focusing more on resistance training and weight lifting now)

Here's what worked for me:
    - Everyone has already recommended starting small and slow. C25K is a great way to go and there are a zillion programs and apps out there. I didn’t focus on how fast or far I was going but tried to up my game (either my time out, my time jogging versus walking, or my distance) every time I got out there.
    - Find shoes and SOCKS that work for your feet. Everyone goes on and on about how important the shoes are but no one reminds you to find the right socks. I got fitted at a running store and bought compression socks.
    - I had shin splints left over from high school marching band and years of dancing – K-Tape and compression sleeves for my calves worked wonders.
    - I find treadmill running tedious. I also realized that my “give up” is much easier if all I have to do is step off the machine and walk to my car. Running outside is much more up my alley. Plus – I can’t really give up when I am miles from home.
    - Speaking of running outside – dress in layers. Once I learned to keep my ears and fingers warm running was MUCH more pleasant. I always layer too so that I can strip down as my body warms up.
    - It took me a while to figure out what kind of fuel I needed before a WOG and when to eat. At first I fueled up like everyone told me and that resulted in heart burn. Then I decided not to eat – which, not surprisingly resulted in me pooping out really too quickly. I learned that I need a small meal which doesn’t have a lot of fiber but does have some protein.
    - DRINK WATER – running will dehydrate you. Stay hydrated throughout the day and after your run. When I started putting in miles I got a fuel belt to carry my water bottle with me.
    - No one will tell you this as you start – at least no one told me. Running may do weird things to your bowels. If you start slow and small you’ll figure this out for your body. Just don’t freak out – it’s normal.
    - What you wear actually matters – if you are at all uncomfortable you won’t be able to do as well. Everyone told me – ignore the haters. But if my *kitten* was eating my running shorts or I could feel my boobs bouncing I found myself either not wanting to go out at all or giving up early. I found that for me (although I’m a total tom-boy) wearing a running or tennis skirt helped immensely –no one could see my butt and I felt MUCH more confident. I also learned that if I liked my running clothes I would actually be okay wearing them.
    - Speaking of boobs – get a good bra. If you are a B cup or under a compression bra is fine. You know, one of those bras that smash your boobs down. If you are a C or bigger you actually need a bra with cups. There are a ton of good ones out there; some are super spendy and some are available for under $20. Find one that works for you. I found that the Danskin Racer Back - Padded Cups worked best for me (and made my figure look fantastic in a running shirt – bonus)
    - It’s true that sometimes the hardest part of the run is the first step. I found that when I wasn’t motivated to actually run – getting dressed in my running clothes really helped. Sometimes I get dressed and then work for a few hours (I get to work from home three days a week) or doing some housework before I actually got out there on the road.
    - Good music is a must for me. But everyone will give you that advice. My advice is to find earphone that don’t annoy the **** out of you. I tried different sized ear-buds and then I found that wireless headphone did the trick. I even found a pair of ear warmers with headphones built in.
    - Initially I told everyone that “the runner’s high” didn’t exist in my body. And then I found it. The first 1.5-2 miles suck for me. But between 3-7 I’m gravy. By mile 10 though, I’m back to hating it. I didn’t find my “runner’s high” for a long long time because it took me months to get to the point where 4 miles was even an option. So don’t give up – it’s there.

And read this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    C25K! Unlike you and others, you couldn't have gotten me to run even if I was chased. I'm pretty sure I would have rather been eaten by a pack of wolves and died a grizzly death. With that being said, I quit smoking after 30 years and needed a deterrent. Hence, c25k. The first day I couldn't even jog 30 seconds. I kept on. 30 years of smoking, 50 lbs over weight and 50 yo. I think I can legitimately say, if I can succeed on that program, anyone can.

Have I lost any weight? Not much, but my body has certainly changed. Can I breath now? Oh, yes. Can it make you feel good about yourself when all else fails? Definitely.

I'm 52 now and trying to lose this weight so I can keep running. Why? I love it, plain and simple.

Running will open a lot of different doors for you. Go for it, you can do it. Good luck and enjoy!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm an ultra-runner (distances longer than marathons) and I started less than 3 yrs ago doing couch to 5k.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I would like to 2nd-3rd 25th the couch to 5k program. I did it back in August last year. It worked great. I had run before but nothing like I do now.
    I would like to stress something though- don't over do it! I injured myself due to the excitement of it all and how well I was doing. I tore a muscle and I wasn't even running at the time, I just went to kneel down.
    Anyway, if you follow it, it will work.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I run inside. I run outside. Just walk and run. You CAN train on a treadmill. I've gone from 0-5K this winter on a treadmill. TV, Book, fan, water, chapstick, Kleenex, bathroom, no need for child care. Sometimes it's not about doing what is best, it's about getting started with what is reasonable, something you CAN do. Just start walking for about 15-20 minutes at a time. Then, load C25K, and get started. You will have to break into real terrain, but you can do that later. Also, many, many people like ASICS to start in. ASICS gel insole is personal fav. TJ Maxx or Kole's carries then for about $30. If it feels nice and cushiony on your foot, impact feels good, and nothing rubs your ankles and toes, you are good to start unless you have a unique situation.