One day of bad eating wont effect you....

2»

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    You need to be rational about this, it is highly unlikely it's 2lbs of actual weight/fat. We're not perfect humans, if you eat 'badly' once in awhile, you're entitled to that. The fact that you realised that it was junk and made you feel bad is a good thing.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over your maintenance number you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat in one day. You may have eaten too much salt and be retaining water, you may have some extra food in your gut or it may just be a freaky fluctuation which we all have but you didn't undo all your work and gain 2 lbs of fat in one day.

EXACTLY!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    As others have said, it's water weight, exacerbated by extra weight from working out extra hard as fluid rushes to your muscles to transport energy and waste and help repair them. You can also put on weight simply by being ill as tissues can get inflamed - I put on 4lb with a cold coming on this week. Don't work through illness - it'll take you twice as long to recover.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I can fluctuate 2 lbs from one day to the next just from water retention! I don't weigh myself everyday. It just makes me neurotic. lol.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    I'm the same - it will be water weight. If you are focusing on weight then maybe change your way in day? I was weighing myself on a monday but if i was drinking or out at the weekend on a splurge felt rubbish when saw no movement on scales. By changing to the end of the week when I have been good again and weight more stable I feel I am getting true / positive results. At the end of the day we are all different but keep up the motivation and good work :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    The 3 posters above me already said what I was going to say.

ditto
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    i never weigh myself everyday... I USED TO .. a year ago

Like sunday i knew i ate bad so i waited until today to weigh myself... maybe i should of waited longer!
  • I am sure others have already touched on this but... I have to disagree with your post.

Every Saturday or Sunday I have what is called a cheat day. I eat what ever I want that day and have no regrets. I have found that if I don't have a cheat day I stray away from a healthy lifestyle. I don't really use myfitnesspal for weightloss as much as I use it to keep my self in line. When I don't use it I have a tendence to have a cheat day everyday. Also, Having a cheat day gives you something to look forward to each week and keeps you going on the right track.

Of course when I say what ever I want I mean with in reason... I don't have 7000 Calorie day and I still stary away from soda... but I might have a cheeseburger and I usually exceed my Calorie Goal by about 1000 sometimes 1500.

Don't let one day make you feel like all hope is lost. Who cares about two little pounds... think big picture. If you gain two today but lose 10 over 3-4 monrths then your doing good. This is a slow process and if you try and speed it up you will fail everytime. You will win the battle but lose the war. If you lose weight to fast you will likely not build enough muscle to speed up your matoblism and just gain it all back. Slow down and don't look at your progress in terms of days at a time but a week at a time or maybe even a month at a time.

ALSO... LEARN TO HAPPY WITH YOUR BODY RIGHT NOW... I understand that it might not be the body you want but be happy with it none the less. I have found that being upset about how you look right this second does nothing but make you feel bad. Be Happy and keep your head up. If your happy now then you will just be happier once the weight is lost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not fat...natural body weight fluctuations. Weight loss isn't linear or static...you have natural fluctuations due to water retention/release as well as food in/out, fluid in/out. I can easily fluctuate 2-3 Lbs day to day. If you understand the science, you will understand that the weight cannot be fat.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Yeeah i think i'm just freaking out.... I should know better... but freaking out because i was at my goal weight and i left myself go (((BAD BAD BAD))) gained 13lbs in a year so every pound i lose to gain i am like ahhhhhh.. guess its time to be more open minded
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    The food will affect you, but the weight is probably from the food still in your system and from extra water being retained by the (likely)increased sodium intake.

Now, the bad day of eating gets me because I usually feel like crap the next day, physically, because my body is trying to rid itself of the foods. Eww.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Unless you ate 7000 calories over your maintenance number you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat in one day. You may have eaten too much salt and be retaining water, you may have some extra food in your gut or it may just be a freaky fluctuation which we all have but you didn't undo all your work and gain 2 lbs of fat in one day.

This is the truth. One day won't ruin you, as long as you get right back to work. The trap is that one day can turn into two, then a week, and then a month. A year later you wake up and wonder where these 50 pounds came from, trust me, I know.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    .... OH YES IT DOES!...

I always seem to learn the hard way... ya work so hard to lose a couple pounds and over one day of badness that overpowers the goodness of the week puts me on the "wall of shame" -- i'm not saying dont "over indulge once in a while" but people like myself... goes over over board and it ruins everything...

For instance... Sunday i did so great til after dinner.. then it was RUINED... them 2lbs i loss during the week... i busted my hump working out and when i weighed myself today it reappeared... This week i'll work even harder!!!!!

Input?

I'm not saying this to be mean so I hope you don't take it this way, but it only seems to affect the people who don't understand how their body works. When you indulge you are usually eating high sodium foods, so your body is going to retain a whole lot of water, and since you ate more, you have more weight on you just from the weight of the actual food you ate. I can easily gain 9lbs on a weekend, and have it off it one or two days by drinking a ton, and getting back to eating healthy non-processed foods.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    First of all, don't weigh yourself more than once a week. You body flucuates constantly, as others have said. Just because you overdid it one day doesn't mean you are done or need to be on the "wall of shame:. everyone has a day like that now and then. Just get back on track, make sure you are drinking your water--in case of water retention, get back to your routine. It will come of!.
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Thank you for sharing your stories we all have our weak points and fighting the same battle.

This! Reading all your posts helps me immensely!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    With my flucutuation it says i'm 130 i was 128 the other day... i do drink alot of water... and i have upped my fruits & veggies.

I'm not starving myself (i love food too much) Sunday i may have missed a couple things on my diary but its nowhere near 7,000 calories.

I'm aiming for 122-123

Your weekly weight loss goal should be set at no more than 0.5lbs per week than. 1200 is most likely far too low as it is. Don't try to get to your goal too quickly.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    One day won't ruin all your efforts!!! When you let that one day turn into 3, then 7 and months go by that is when things really start to derail. Every day is a new chance to start over again!!! I regained 15 pounds in 5 months but I am not giving up and still am proud of the fact that I am still down 15 pounds from where I started
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    I don't think 1 day will ruin all of your hard work. But I do think "regular" 1 days will diminish your results. When I first joined MFP, I tracked during the week and then ate "normally" on the weekend. My official weigh-in day was Monday (day I recorded my weight), but I weighed myself other days. After a few weeks I noticed a pattern - I would lose 2 lbs during the week, and then gain a pound back over the weekend. For me, I realized that I couldn't let myself eat whatever I wanted for an entire weekend, every weekend. So I changed it to a couple of meals per week, but still tracked my calories, etc. There were weekends/events when I splurged and I needed to be able to splurge. But when I had regular bad days, I wasn't losing weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I was down to 194 3 weeks ago. Then I gained 2 lb back slowly... Finally came down this week and I was 193 this morning. I had lost 10 lbs really fast before that. So pretty much only lost 1 lb this month. But I'm sticking to it.

I do agree though that one day can ruin your hard work, depending how badly you splurge, but it doesn't mean you can't be more careful the next day and start over. Personally I'd rather splurge a bit (like, if I have extra calories for dinner, have pizza, like last night, or a piece of cheese or chocolate) within my calories to avoid having a huge splurge. It might take longer to reach my goal this way but whatever, I'm still losing.