Headaches?

Options
HarlowS
HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
For the past year or so I have noticed that when I do my workout at night (running, JM video, elliptical...), I wake up with a massive headache. This doesn't happen if I knock my workout out in the a.m. I stretch before and after and I make sure my breathing is timed, so what is the deal? Anyone else get post-workout headaches? How do you avoid them (besides just popping pills)?

Replies

• WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I tend to only have them when I have not had enough water before/during my workouts. If I stay well hydrated through the day I never seem to have a problem after my workout, if not I have a horrible headache all night!
  • BrandonLosch
    Options
    I get headaches after workouts if I fail to eat right for that work out (Exp. Protein for strength and Upperforce workOuts). I've never been good with my diet an I come by headaches alot due to this. I'd just try to eat right for your workout, And trust me I kno easier said then done I still have problems:P haha
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If you're getting headaches, you're probably dehydrated. It's the same reason you get hangovers - the alcohol dehydrates you and leads to the headaches. Try drinking more water before and after the workouts, and they should stop.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I get them if I've been out of the gym for a while, then when I go back I wake up with awful headaches. Like, if I'm sick and out for a week. The last time, the headache lasted 3 days.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Try changing something about your routine. More water before or after. Eat something after - mostly protein with a little bit of carbs. Play around with it till you find something that works for you.
  • HarlowS
    Options
    I drink about 90 oz. of water a day. In the morning I drink 2 cups of coffee, so you would think I'd get a headache then when I workout vs. at night. I do not drink soda or anything else. If I workout in the evening it is after dinner, so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Try working out before you eat and see if you still get the headaches.
  • LSUrunningmom
    LSUrunningmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you aren't drinking enough water? That will happen to me if I am dehydrated. I will feel fine after my workout but the next morning my head feels like it is caving in. Once I get enough water in my system it goes away.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yeah the key is to drink a lot of water.
  • HarlowS
    Options
    I already drink a lot. Trust me, my bladder will agree :wink: I just don't get why this only happens with night workouts and not morning ones.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I tend to only have them when I have not had enough water before/during my workouts. If I stay well hydrated through the day I never seem to have a problem after my workout, if not I have a horrible headache all night!

This.

If I don't drink enough water before, during and after my workout I get a headache. Also, if I don't have something to eat after a workout I get headaches too.
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    maybe its not th amount of water but the time ur drinking it...if u do ur workouts in the morning I would assume tht ur also drinking water through out th erest of the day so ur body is constantly getting replinished but if u workout at night closer to bed time then obviously ur not going to be replenishing that water like u would during the day try to workout earlier if possible as much as possible so u can have a good chance to get atleast another 20oz after ur workout even if u dont inccrease ur water intake u can keep it at 90 but just dispurse it at a differnet time