I have Plantar Faciitis and can hardly walk...

Options
2»

Replies

• kountryedge
    Options
    I to have Plantar Faciitis and I do know how very painful it is. It just feels like someone beat my feet with a baseball bat. That's all I can do to express the way it feels to my back doctor. I ended up dishing out 140.00 for a great pair of good shoes, and they do help when I wear them, even around the house just to clean. I need to start doing some stretches, and the one that mentioned about the tennis ball, that is a great idea :)

But the more I'm up roaming around the better my feet, but once I stop, the worse they get "depending on how much I did being on my feet"... Just keep moving, don't let it stop you... You control it, don't let it control you...

Best wishes for you!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving, don't let it stop you... You control it, don't let it control you...

I like this, and I personally adhere to it. If I let it stop me from exercising I'd never get better and I'd never get this extra weight off! It is painful, I admit, that's why I end my day by icing my feet on the frozen water bottle, but I push through it as much as possible.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had/have that problem. I just let it hurt and exercised anyhow, at first. You might find that an ice pack after you exercise will help. I used to have two of the squishy soft ones and I would put one behind each of my heels with a sock over it and keep it on there until it wasn't cold anymore. You could also get a couple of bottle os water and freeze them and roll them under your feet, back and forth. For me at least, the cold helped a lot. I am 76 lbs lighter now and that has made a big difference, plus I think that more exercise has helped the surrounding muscles/tendons/ligaments/whatever to lengthen and strengthen.

Good luck to you! I know it hurts like crazy!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I had it. I wore the brace to bed and changed my footwear habits. No flipflops, no barefoot at all. I wear Keen hikers most of the time but have found a few off the shelf tennis shoes that have enough heel not to aggravate it. NB has a style or two and so does Nike. Just cannot wear anything that lowers the heel. I also woudl stretch before getting up in order not to aggravate it. I worry everyday that it might flare up now that I am walking and exercising so much but no sign of its return. Losing some weight has surely helped too.

I did the same. No barefootin' at all! I had PF for 6 months-- pure hell. I got this hideous pair of Skechers shape-ups to wear all the time I was not at work. I am convinced they cured my PF, or else allowed it to go away pretty quickly. (I read online it takes 24 months to go away!) I tried the stretches and the nighttime boot and a thing to roll my foot on with ice inside. I swear by the Shape-ups. They push up into the arch and are very cushion-y.

My sister has/had PF in first one then the other heel. Did the stretches, had the shot and then the orthotics. She switched to the shape-up shoes and finally it is getting better. I had PF before the shoes were around so I was stuck with the stretches and the heel cup for what seemed like forever. Even now I draw letters with my toes before I get out of bed, but it's more just habit and prevention. Hang in there it does get better.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had it too. Bought Dr schools $ 50 implant from walmart. I also bought good pair of shoes. Not too expensive went to Ross. Now its better.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have it too, very badly for 5 months, and was looking into crutches about 6 weeks ago. With stretching many times a day, massage (just on my own), and wearing insoles in my shoes (flats of various kinds) from when I get out of bed in the morning until I go to sleep has gotten it almost completely better.
    I'm still not doing exercise that could aggravate it - push-ups, squats, leg raises, etc I'm going to try bike riding this week (when it stops raining).
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am sympathising so much. My plantar fasciitis started 3 years ago and I gained 30 lbs since then. I am 45 now and I used to run regularly every day for an hour. Sadly, I developed a spur and suffered from enormous pain in my left heel. After about a year I went to a doctor who started with corticoid injections. I had six of those. Mistake. Then I had shock waves which helped but not totally. My tissue probably diminished and was damaged by corticoids and now I can't run at all. I can work out on a cross trainer though or bike. I can walk without pain for about 80 min. After that, my pain kicks in. I think I just have to live with that and do my best.
  • Nautigirl55
    Nautigirl55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you know it, I start exercising and now my PF comes back in my right foot. I'm not gonna let it stop me...thanks for the shape-ups tip. I'll try that tomorrow.
  • corrina187
    Options
    I just started using Apple Cider Vinegar for healt reasons, and when I was looking up its benefits, I'm sure it said something about soaking your feet in it with water? Maybe look into it
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one maybe it will not work for the other. I have found Taping very useful.
    Today as I am feeling much better with the pain I am doing a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises. I have found a good website summary explaining the subject of these exercises in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html
    Take care & Good luck
  • ingridanderson82
    ingridanderson82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for you!! I had it all last summer and fall and felt like it would never go away, but after tons of stretching it did get better and it is basically all gone. It's also important to wear supportive shoes (which is hard for me because I'm a flip flop lover living in central California where the weather is almost always nice!) :) also, I bought just dr schools inserts for my boots and shoes that weren't as supportive. Good luck!! And stretch!! ;)
    *also, only in my left foot. Weird.
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had it for years. I had to stop running, which broke my heart.

Losing weight will help. Not overstretching it will help. I was getting carried away
    with my stretching because of shin splints/cramps.

Now I wear Brooks Beast running sneakers. They have the most motion control. When I'm
    not wearing them, I have my Brooks Adrenaline sneakers to wear. They're a compromise between
    control and comfort.

You can learn some good info from their website and a couple of the top running shoe seller sites.

Be careful with inserts. If they're not right for your foot they'll cause more trouble. Been there.
    I've used DMSO to help control the inflammation.
  • kathyw512
    kathyw512 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OMG I just logged on to this thread and am overwhelmed by all the responses, thank you all so much for sharing your stories, I'm not alone on this. I do wear orthotics and use the frozen water bottle at night, Ibuprophin does not help. I have went to the doctor for cortizone shots in the past, but I have heard this can be bad for you also, so I am sticking it out as long as I can. I am on my feet most of the day and I just want to start walking again like a normal person.