Crunched for Time (or rather... I like sleep)

Options
So, it's everyone's story, they're too busy for X, can't make time for Y...
Well, I'm making time to pack food and be in control of those choices (so monitoring calories is not a problem for me right now), but between 2 jobs, grad school and trying to have a life (that is... spending time with my boyfriend) I'm having trouble getting up early enough to work in Exercise.

Any suggestions for fitting stuff in throughout the day?
Maybe a quick routine (like... 20 minutes and still a good workout)?
Advice on dieting without an exercise component (until December most likely)?

Any suggestions you have would be excellent.

Replies

• violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    For quick exercises, find the 30 Day Shred on youtube. workouts are like 20-25 minutes and pretty intense.

If you cant exercise, just eat at a deficit. Thats pretty much it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It'll become a priority when you decide you want it badly enough.
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

^^THIS
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation: college+work+boyfriend+living on my own = little wiggle room.

I get workout in when possible, and some days I have to choose between sleep and exercising. It's possible though. You have to make your health a priority.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    With such a busy life, it sounds like 20 mins of something like the 30ds videos would be perfect for you.
    Maybe committing to just 2 or 3 times a week would be less overwhelming to start with,
    until you have more time.
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

^^^^^^THIS!!!!!! I work 40 hours a week, have 2 kids and do EVERYTHING in my household including the cooking (I make dinner 5 nights a week), cleaning, laundry, baseball games (twice a week), baseball practices (twice a week) and still get up Monday- Friday at 4am to be to the gym by 4:30, workout till 5:30 and be home by 5:45 so the hubby can leave for work. Can't leave the kids home alone ages 10 and 3! This is the ONLY time and option I have available. I make it work.

I use to say I didn't have time and then realized that losing weight, having my dream body and being healthy was far more important than extra sleep.
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You'll need to find an exercise/work-out routine that excites you. I was hit-or-miss with 30 minutes on the elliptical in our basement, but now that I'm doing the 30 Day Shred I have no (well, not much...) problem getting up at 5:15am to fit in the 20 minute work-out. That, and what the above posters have said. You have to want it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

This!

Those who say "I just don't have time to workout and make healthy meals" are just making excuses as weight loss isn't all that important to them. If it's something you really want and if it's that important to you, you will make the time to make healthy meals and exercise.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Fast and Furious Insanity is 20 minutes and 30 day shred.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I work 50+ hours a week, am in grad school, spend time with my friends and family. I cook, clean, and do laundry too.

Time management and getting rid of time sucks. For me the first thing the went was xbox. I rarely play video games now. Then tv. I watch at most an hour of tv a day. Time on the internet it's being cut down too.

I mean, i work out any where from an hour to three a day. It's easy to find that time if you really want it.

But right now you like sleep. Which is fine. Most of us were all there at one point. One day you'll figure out how to optimize your time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Spend 20 minutes doing something energetic with your boyfriend!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I work 50 hrs a week have 3 kids, take them to after school activities, do all the household crap etc etc and MAKE time for workouts.

If you want to workout you will make time too.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

^^^^^^THIS!!!!!! I work 40 hours a week, have 2 kids and do EVERYTHING in my household including the cooking (I make dinner 5 nights a week), cleaning, laundry, baseball games (twice a week), baseball practices (twice a week) and still get up Monday- Friday at 4am to be to the gym by 4:30, workout till 5:30 and be home by 5:45 so the hubby can leave for work. Can't leave the kids home alone ages 10 and 3! This is the ONLY time and option I have available. I make it work.

I use to say I didn't have time and then realized that losing weight, having my dream body and being healthy was far more important than extra sleep.

THIS!!

I'd like to tell all you early 20's folks that it is going to get easier when you finish college. The reality is, except for maybe a few years between college and having kids, it only gets harder. I thought I was busy in college, but I had no idea. . .

But, you can make it work. You just have to find a time that works for you. It doesn't have to be getting up earlier unless that is your only option. For me, early mornings don't work because I can't leave the kids in bed alone, I can't leave them to fend for themselves before school, and hubby has to have an exercise time too. So right after work works for me. 30 day shred is great. Get a little more in on weekends.

Seriously, if all you can fit in is a walk around lunch, then do that. Find what works and stick to it. And incorporate exercise into your life. I used to have other hobbies. Now running is my hobby because there is not time for both. You just have to make (sometimes difficult) choices. You can't always have your cake and eat it too. That is reality. Sorry.
  • 215jenn
    215jenn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions about the videos, I think that'll help. I've been liking the classes when I make it to them at the gym, but it's hard to make the 5:15 class when you get out of work at 5 :)

And, I understand that everyone is busy - thanks to those of you who are mentioning *how* you made the time, rather than just saying that you did it. The time management suggestions and advice on fitting in smaller chunks (and what those might be) is a lot more useful than saying "You'll make time", sure, I've made time to go walking, get on the elliptical, go to body combat classes and lift, but it's awkward, cumbersome and seems to fall out quickly. Maybe it's the mentality I've had that exercise needs to be in big blocks...
  • munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Reset with Beachbody is a good one, no workout needed, but you do need to do quite a bit of preparing meals! I am doing it right now, on Day 7 and I'm feeling great! Have you heard of shakeology? It's a meal replacement shake so it's very quick and easy to make. That has been my breakfast until I had to start with the Reset so had to make it as a snack instead. Feel free to message me if you need help or more info.
  • 215jenn
    215jenn Posts: 110 Member
    Options

THIS!!

I'd like to tell all you early 20's folks that it is going to get easier when you finish college. The reality is, except for maybe a few years between college and having kids, it only gets harder. I thought I was busy in college, but I had no idea. . .

But, you can make it work. You just have to find a time that works for you. It doesn't have to be getting up earlier unless that is your only option. For me, early mornings don't work because I can't leave the kids in bed alone, I can't leave them to fend for themselves before school, and hubby has to have an exercise time too. So right after work works for me. 30 day shred is great. Get a little more in on weekends.

Seriously, if all you can fit in is a walk around lunch, then do that. Find what works and stick to it. And incorporate exercise into your life. I used to have other hobbies. Now running is my hobby because there is not time for both. You just have to make (sometimes difficult) choices. You can't always have your cake and eat it too. That is reality. Sorry.

This was helpful.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.TV has some really great routines that only take 15 minutes. I do 3 or 4 short workouts throughout the day. Burning a calorie is burning a calorie no matter how you do it.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can't fit half an hour in before bed?
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I work two night shift jobs, volunteer at my daughter's school, run all her class activities, shuttle her to all her other stuff like swim and tumbling, keep my house up, have a fiance who works and goes to school full time, and he and I both manage. If you want to work out, you will.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I had grad school, full time job, hubby and kids, etc. I worked out on my lunch break at work. I had a boss who was OK with me eating my meal at my desk after my workout lunch break.

BTW: I thought I would have so much more time after I graduated. Not so much. Make the time now, because things never slow down, even when you think they are going to.