Any students on here?

Options
I'm currently in my second year of University and was looking for other students or anybody in similar situations as me. I find that being at Uni means I have little to no money so I have to find ways of exercising without using a gym because they cost way too much, at the moment I do workouts just in my room, go out for runs and the occasional swim and would love to get to know fellow students and see how you guys deal with these challenges of low disposable income and keeping fit!

Replies

• she_fit
    she_fit Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm a newb as well! I'm in my last year of school and I'm crunched for both time AND money- I stick to running or workout videos. Gyms are a no-go for me as well. I also go for a brisk 30 minute walk on my lunch when I can. You fit in bits and pieces when the time allows!
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    hey.
    i'm sorta a student. well i did my first year of uni and my second year until christmas, then i temporarily 'dropped out' and am returning in september. it's hard though, and i did gain weight during that time, though i'm not sure how much was down to circumstances and how much was down to depression. :/ anyway would be good to share tips or whatever. good luck.
    when i was at uni, i'd always either bike or walk to campus. i know it's not much but it was better than nothing i guess. though it kinda backfired because after that i'd not want to do anything physical for the rest of the day since leeds is full of really steep hills and it was pretty exhausting..
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. You need 482395643562438x more motivation with low income and limited resources. YAY college.
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    I'm starting college in the fall! :)
  • JamesSawyer6
    Options
    Hey man fellow second year student here. My main struggle is getting to the grocery store and eating right. The meal plans don't exactly offer the healthiest choices. I also haven't been exercising since I came to college and I'm looking to change that before I get to a point I don't want to be at (weight wise). Today is Day 2 for me and I'd be glad to offer support to you or anyone else on here, and I'd love to get yours as well. Motivation is the key!
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm at uni and it's not the money that's my biggest issue. It's the time (life is so irregular and I always feel like I should be studying), and eating out as the main source of almost every gathering that are the toughest.

Also I only have a kitchenette so it makes cooking meals from scratch much more of a burden.
  • shiksarama
    Options
    I'm a graduate student... it is hard with limited funds but one good thing is that my school has a gym that is free for students (well paid for in our student fees) so I use it 2-3 times a week (whenever I'm on campus)
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am a senior in uni, going on to be a graduate student next spring. When I started uni, I was 220 pounds, but now I am 114 (took a year and a half to lose it). It is hard to maintain a healthy/active lifestyle as a student, but definitely not impossible! ^_^!
  • mikki1987
    mikki1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a post grad student and just joined here, so any hints and tips would be much appreciated. It's definitely a challenge, as I had to stop going to the gym when I re enrolled at college. I'm just about to restart the 30 day shred, so hopefully that will help.
  • staceydaniele
    Options
    Hiiiii
    I just joined here too!
    In my final year of my undergrad
    All-nighters when I'm studying usually means lots of chocolate, red bull/coffee and sour sweets!
    Eeeeek
    Need substitutes :/