Stop doing SQUATS!

Options

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    You can accomplish the same "toning" by sitting in a chair and lifting your foot off of the floor and extending your foot straight out in front of you. Use a stability ball for more of a core workout but same movement. Also lay flat on your back bring one knee to your chest with the other leg extended. Lift and lower the extended leg and also simulating a "bicycle" pedaling movement will work your quads as well...and no added pressure like in a squat. If you want a little more resistence, add an ankle weight.

This is probably the most blatantly untrue statement I have read on MFP.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish the same "toning" by sitting in a chair and lifting your foot off of the floor and extending your foot straight out in front of you. Use a stability ball for more of a core workout but same movement. Also lay flat on your back bring one knee to your chest with the other leg extended. Lift and lower the extended leg and also simulating a "bicycle" pedaling movement will work your quads as well...and no added pressure like in a squat. If you want a little more resistence, add an ankle weight.

*Facepalm*
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options

FYI: Alleve, (generic is Naproxen Sodium) is better than just Ibuprofen because it lasts 12 hours, whereas Ibuprofen is every 4-6. These have a huge benefit of reducing swelling around the joints, getting the fluid down so that there is less inflammation, therefore less pain. I took 2 morning and night for three days and pain is gone! You need to take it several days, if not a full week beyond when you are pain free to keep the swelling down as you build back up, just don't be tempted to over-exercise on top of it. Be sure to have food on your stomach when taking any anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or Alleve or Naproxen Sodium.

I'd steer clear of the "better than" statements as Naproxen Sodium and Ibuprofen work differently and differently for each person. Aleve doesn't do jack squat for me and the bummer about the (famous) 12 hour dosing is that if you're in pain, you've taken it and it doesn't work for you...you're stuck until that 12 hours has passed.

I know it works great for some people and for that I'm glad, I just would caution putting them up as the same thing.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my knees until I got my form right. Make sure you're getting low enough, also doing them barefoot really helped.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had surgery on my ankle, that knee has been screwed up. I think it is because my gait has changed? Squats don't bother my knee but lunges KILL it. I just can't do lunges. I dunno if I am doing them wrong (which I don't think I am...I never had an instructor point it out that I was), but I don't feel them in my butt...just my knee :/

Glucosamine helps as does fish oil. Fish oil helps lubricate the joints.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Knee Wraps

Knee wraps have long been a mainstay for competitive powerlifters, and for good reason. When properly used, wraps can dramatically improve knee safety during heavy squatting. More important, however, is the fact that wraps give you at least a 5-10 percent increase in how much you can lift. But there's a downside to using wraps also.

Wearing them while squatting under 80-85 percent or so is counterproductive to providing adaptive overload to various tissues comprising the knee. Simply, the wrap absorbs the stress instead of the tissues, so they never get stronger.

Guidelines for wearing knee wraps during squatting are as follows:

Keeping your knees warm (wrapped loosely) improves blood flow and tissue elasticity.
    If the weight you're using is greater than 80-85 percent of your maximum,or
    If you have knee problems that require wearing wraps.
    If you STILL insist on using them, go ahead and do so, but with the following points in mind. When buying knee wraps, opt for the ones that 1) weigh the most (more fabric equals greater protection, and 2) that stretch out to at least 19-20 feet in length (more times around the knee equals greater protection).

Do NOT purchase wraps that are bulky, heavily elasticized and stretch out to under fifteen feet. Tightness from elasticity is NOT affording you any real support!

Here are the steps to go through when putting your wraps on:

Sit on a chair or bench. Begin with the wrap completely stretched and rolled up (this makes the process much easier than fighting to stretch the wrap as you go).
    With your leg straight, start applying the wrap below the knees, working upward. Wrapping from "in" to "out," (counterclockwise for the left leg, clockwise for the right -- this helps avoid improper patellar tracking), anchor the wrap by applying 2 layers below the knees, then move upward, overlapping each previous layer by one-half the width of the wrap.

Apply the wrap tightly as you move past the knee, stopping somewhere on the lower third of the thigh (powerlifting rules allow 10 centimeters above the patella).

Most of the wrap is wound around the leg just above the knee joint in orderto "pin" the quadriceps tendon to the femur below -- better leverage). Tuck the end of the wrap under the previous layer to secure it. Repeat for the other leg.

An alternative more suitable for fitness and bodybuilding, perhaps, is to wrap tightly around the upper shin (where the patellar ligament attaches), then more loosely wound over the kneecap itself (this is important to avoid grinding the patella into the femoral condyle, creating a case of chondromalacia for yourself), then tightly wound over the lower quarter of the thigh.

The rationale for wrapping the knees prior to heavy squatting is that it reduced the pulling forces on the lower quadriceps and the quadriceps tendon at it's attachment to the patella. This translates to significantly reduced chances of avulsing (detaching) your quadriceps tendon or tearing your quads during heavy squatting. The chances of your patellar tendon avulsing from your tibia are a bit less, but nonetheless omnipresent.

The Whole article is hear.. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat12.htm
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You keep saying your form is "fine" but we have no way to really know that. Maybe you're not squatting with enough depth.

Haven't read through all of the responses, but the above was the first thing that came to my mind. Squatting above parallel IS BAD FOR YOUR KNEES. A deep squat with proper form IS NOT.
  • KatnKandy
    KatnKandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 45lbs, I did about 120 push ups per day all at one time. One day my arms hurt so much I couldn't carry my purse or my daughter. I went to the emergency room and discovered I ripped a muscle in both my shoulders, and my chest and I got a hernia in my stomach. I was on steroids for almost a year, I got almost all of the weight back and when I was ready to start again they found gallbladder stones. It took me almost 6 months to recover from that; I had to start over :-(

I began with calorie counting, lighter work outs, like powerwalking and dancing. I started power walking about 5 miles per day and lost about 20lbs. That was not enough. After I lost 20lbs I began circuit training and when I can't do an excercise that they're performing I do situps, leg peddaling and push ups to keep moving with the program. Don't do things you can't do or push yourself too hard. Now, I am down about 35lbs. 15 more to go and no injuries! Let's just say I learned my lesson.

Doing squats in perfect form are great, but you have to do reps, don't push yourself too hard on one workout. Working your whole body is better than stressing one. I learned that in order to perform certain excercises you should lose most of your weight first, but even then you can injure yourself. The important thing is saftey, the next thing is calorie burning. I lost the most weight I have ever lost circuit training w/ Jillian Michaels. I love it, you don't over work yourself. Minimize Strength training until you have lost about 60% of the weight you are trying to lose, then begin to focus on toning and strength, don't over do it though.

Good Luck!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The glucosamine has to have chondroiton in it to work. It won't heal injuries, only prevents. I say rest them until the pain is better then focus on strenghtening the thigh muscles. That helps with knees.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's advice and stop. Why go if you don't want to listen to what they say? The alternative is to blow out your knees and be down for months instead of the few weeks it takes to heal.
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't have any video. So I just spoke the the chiropractor (I work at a doctor's office lol) and he said my form is good, but it looks like there might be something wrong with my tendons. So I guess I'm taking a break. :( Oh well. Thanks you everyone for your input!! I'm so glad you took the time to reply. Thanks for the great advice! I'm definitely going to start with those fish oils.

I had a similar problem when I started doing squats. Kept doubting my form and must have asked at least five different trainers for corrective advice. In the end, I found that the pain was being caused by weak knee tendons and ligaments. The pain went away once I started performing the exercise in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyJlF_MAww

I did this exercise on every non-squat day and within a week or two I noticed reduction and eventual elimination of pain.

Oh thanks for the info! :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

No, it is not! This exercise was actually given to me by my PT. I also have crappy knees with moderate arthritis and torn meniscus, so squatting is totally out of the question.
  • ddeleonm09
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 45lbs, I did about 120 push ups per day all at one time. One day my arms hurt so much I couldn't carry my purse or my daughter. I went to the emergency room and discovered I ripped a muscle in both my shoulders, and my chest and I got a hernia in my stomach. I was on steroids for almost a year, I got almost all of the weight back and when I was ready to start again they found gallbladder stones. It took me almost 6 months to recover from that; I had to start over :-(

I began with calorie counting, lighter work outs, like powerwalking and dancing. I started power walking about 5 miles per day and lost about 20lbs. That was not enough. After I lost 20lbs I began circuit training and when I can't do an excercise that they're performing I do situps, leg peddaling and push ups to keep moving with the program. Don't do things you can't do or push yourself too hard. Now, I am down about 35lbs. 15 more to go and no injuries! Let's just say I learned my lesson.

Doing squats in perfect form are great, but you have to do reps, don't push yourself too hard on one workout. Working your whole body is better than stressing one. I learned that in order to perform certain excercises you should lose most of your weight first, but even then you can injure yourself. The important thing is saftey, the next thing is calorie burning. I lost the most weight I have ever lost circuit training w/ Jillian Michaels. I love it, you don't over work yourself. Minimize Strength training until you have lost about 60% of the weight you are trying to lose, then begin to focus on toning and strength, don't over do it though.

Good Luck!

Yeah I think I might have started with too much too soon. I think that could've been one of the problems.
  • ddeleonm09
    Options
    Nope, my form is fine and I don't use weights. I used to have a trainer that would force squats on me and believe me he always made sure I did them right lol.

No one's form on squats is fine unless they're moving something really impressive. I guarantee you if you post up a video there are MULTIPLE things that you need to improve on. No one's squat form is perfect, not even elite powerlifters' form is perfect.

The only reason I say my form is fine is because I've worked with three different trainers and I never had a problem doing squats, but you're right though. I can always double-check on my form. There is always something that we can work on to make it better.
  • susie234
    susie234 Posts: 14
    Options
    You are smart to listen to your doctor and stop them for awhile. Pain is a signal to you (not weakness or anything). I have to be really careful with squats too. I did weight workouts for months before I could do squats at all, and now I only do them very carefully and stop if it's hurting. I did get stronger over time, we all have certain things to be careful about. If you can swing a session with a good trainer they can suggest other exercises. I still can't do lunges but have gotten into pretty good shape anyway with gentler approaches.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had/have this same problem.
    Form is key. The other thing that helps me is a new coach told me to push my knees OUT the WHOLE time down and back up.
    This has really helped my pain. It's still there, but no where near as severe and I have been able to not only do my sqauts, but many other OLY lifts!
    So PUSH OUT!!!!!!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I feel ya - I'm also in the squat challenge & today my left (bad already) knee is swollen, sore and stiff. 276 in 2 day was TOO much (was trying to catch up on a missed day in addition to normal days) plus the leg press machine probably didn't help.

I'm gonna continue but AFTER the knee heals and in LOWER reps. IE: NOT ALL 120 @ 1 time. 20 here, 40 there, another 20 here. It doesn't say you have to do them ALL AT ONCE, just in one day, right?

Good luck - ice, elevation and wrap/tape (I use K2Tape). Glucosimine & MSM, plus Biofreeze & Ibuprofen are my cures.
  • ddeleonm09
    Options
    Follow your doctor's advice and stop. Why go if you don't want to listen to what they say? The alternative is to blow out your knees and be down for months instead of the few weeks it takes to heal.

Haha well I work with doctors and sometimes they say "stop" because they don't know as much about the subject as, for example, a sports therapist. Don't get me wrong, my doctors are awesome, but they are more focused about family practice than sports. Which is why I was looking for some extra advice. But I'm definitely going to take a few weeks off. Gotta heal.
  • ddeleonm09
    Options
    I had/have this same problem.
    Form is key. The other thing that helps me is a new coach told me to push my knees OUT the WHOLE time down and back up.
    This has really helped my pain. It's still there, but no where near as severe and I have been able to not only do my sqauts, but many other OLY lifts!
    So PUSH OUT!!!!!!

Haha will do! Btw cutest profile picture ever! :)
  • ddeleonm09
    Options
    I feel ya - I'm also in the squat challenge & today my left (bad already) knee is swollen, sore and stiff. 276 in 2 day was TOO much (was trying to catch up on a missed day in addition to normal days) plus the leg press machine @ 200lb probably didn't help.

I'm gonna continue but AFTER the knee heals and in LOWER reps. IE: NOT ALL 120 @ 1 time. 20 here, 40 there, another 20 here. It doesn't say you have to do them ALL AT ONCE, just in one day, right?

Good luck - ice, elevation and wrap/tape (I use K2Tape). Glucosimine & MSM, plus Biofreeze & Ibuprofen are my cures.

Oh man, you definitely need to rest your knee! Lol.