Is there a point to lift weights at this weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• amapril
    amapril Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift weights! If you have a CrossFit affiliate nearby, I suggest you start with them. Coaches will guide you and scale the weight to your ability and push you when you need it. OR check out crossfit.com. They have the work out of the day (WOD) posted there and also have demonstrations or the exercises. Been CrossFitting for 2 years and LOVE it. Big change in my body composition.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes! Start lifting now!!! I wish I started sooner, and now i love it, look forward to my next workouts and lifting heavy and getting stronger!

One thing that helped me feel more confident walking around the free weights area was having a plan. I have my lil paper and know what exercises I'm doing that day, so I feel less like a lost puppy standing around. And one thing I noticed is that noone notices or stares, haha they are all doing their own thing! Mostly the guys are just helpful, esp if there are heavy weights that are left on the bars, I get help to unload them, and also to move the pulleys down haha since I'm so short. I've gotten a few compliments on form, and that's it - people are just kinda doing their own thing, and everyone started somewhere, so don't let what anyone else thinks get into your head. You pay to be there and have every right to, and you're all working towards the same goal - now GO GET IT!!!! Have Fun!! :bigsmile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, start lifting now! You'll retain precious lean body mass keeping your metabolism high and helping you to achieve the figure you want as the fat comes off.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was so intimidated my first day lifting weights that I almost cried. Turns out, it was not as big a deal as I'd made it out to be. The few people who actually noticed me, were very friendly and very helpful. Even the big scary looking guys were very accommodating. One fellow helped me with an issue I was having and then congratulated me for getting started.

So swallow your unfounded fear and get started. There are many wonderful benefits in addition to weightloss.

Also if you have questions you can always join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

They are very helpful.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The muscles will grow now just the same as they will later. The sooner you start the sooner they will grow.

If you are embarrassed there are lots of body weight routines you can do at home. Honestly, you should not be embarrassed. That thought is in your head, and probably nobody else is paying close attention to what you are doing. So long as you are working hard and sweating most people in a gym are helpful.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I say go for it....I started weight lifting about two months ago after almost a year. Figured why not, worst case scenario is that my weight goes back up . I have noticed between the dancing, running, weight lifting, and x train fit (i use that one as my strength training) I am a lot stronger then I was. And while my weight has stabilized (mind you I'm due to start my TOM this week) I look a lot better then when I started (in my profile pictures you will notice it). I do unfortunately have to use the weight machines currently (its because of an elbow injury I had back in high school that still acts up where if I do too much I lose feeling from my elbow down) but I find I am able to do at least 50-75lbs with my upper body, and 137.5lbs with my abs and lower (I have also found that leg press helps with my right knee issue that hasn't been acting up as bad while running).

As I said though, I have been doing it for 2 months, and honestly really love it. Mind you I do it only 3 times a week at max especially since I have a 13 month old and other responsibilities. Go for it.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is always a "good" thing. If after a while, you get more confident on your own, seek out more information here, or at your gym from people that you start to see on a regular basis who can tell you what works for them, etc
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't psych yourself out! I know that as an extremely overweight person myself, I always thought people were thinking the worst about me when they saw me at the gym. That was mostly me projecting my insecurities. I've had a few people I thought were judging me ask if I need help or had questions.

There will always be jerks in your world, but screw 'em! Just do what you need to do for you. :flowerforyou:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I definitely do strength training. I don't want to lose any lean body mass that I already have. As an overweight woman, I'm pretty sure my leg muscles are strong just from carrying me around. I want to preserve that as I lose fat.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    I would say the answer to your question is a resounding YES! I think everyone that lifts will agree that when you start lifting and building muscle you will see and feel a big difference much sooner than if you did only cardio. You might be sore, and you should be but not so sore you can't move, but the kind of sore or stiff that says you worked out. Sore or a little stiff just means that you are well on your way to growing muscle and increasing your metabolism.

As far as feeling awkward at the gym, don't. Everyone that is there is there for one primary reason, taking control of their body, health and mind. (The retirees,- that use the gym as their social club and do nothing other than talk, get in the way, interrupt your workout, and just sit on the machines being the exception.) If it is an option, try to find out when the least busy time is and work out then.

I think you'll find the people that actually do lift to be very helpful and supportive.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks.... I just wish I had a home gym. I hate hate hate going to the gym and trying to lift weights. I feel like everyone is starring at me..... I am going to give it a try and see if it will help my weight loss. I have to do something I can't stand being this way anymore.

We started off very cheap with our home gym, I think it was a 50 kilo weight set for $49, then a $60 bench and other little things, now we put the good stuff on layby and have a fairly cool gym, it just takes time (like everything else)
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks.... I just wish I had a home gym. I hate hate hate going to the gym and trying to lift weights. I feel like everyone is starring at me..... I am going to give it a try and see if it will help my weight loss. I have to do something I can't stand being this way anymore.
    They may well be looking at you, some will think good for her getting out there and doing it, others will think what a waste of time she's going no where, in the end who cares. Do what's best for you start on a program of resistance asap it feels great and you cant get that feeling any other way...
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If your local gym offers training sessions you might consider hiring a trainer. Or ask one of the staff to walk you around the gym.

My wife and I hired a trainer from the local gym and, for us, it has been worthwhile. You don't need a lot of sessions; just someone to introduce you to the gym and get you started.

Once you are there for a while you'll realize that there are not a lot of GQ or Vogue models walking around. Most everybody is in the same boat; some are a little more fit; some are carrying a bit more weight; everybody has the same basic goal.

Having a workout partner is also very motivating and comforting. Do you have anybody that you could workout with?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not curling in their squat rack, the weight room guys will almost certainly be friendly and helpful.
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed weight training. Did it at 260 lb.. I think carrying that kind of weight. doing weight training and drinking a ton of milk as a child is reason I have really strong bones at 64. The drinking whole milk and all the great things you make from it, is part of the reason for the 260 lbs. I think weight training helps me firm up more and feel good. I just enjoy it.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started my first weight session yesterday. I had no idea what I was doing but everyone was right. Most of the people were helpful, one of the guys even helped me!!!! So I will be back today! Thank you for your support.