Feeling Sick from Artificial Sweeteners?

Options
2»

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I only use Splenda because its derived from Sugar and not a man made sweetner. I only use about a teaspoon to a tablespoon a day.

You can use Splenda as wish, but saying its not man-made is completely false. You should do some research on it. They may "start" with a sugar molecule, but after they are done engineering it, it is not longer "real".

In 2006, Merisant, the maker of Equal, filed suit against McNeil Nutritionals in U.S. District Court, Philadelphia, alleging that Splenda's tagline "Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar" is misleading. McNeil argued during the trial that it had never deceived consumers or set out to deceive them, since the product is in fact made from sugar. Merisant asked that McNeil be ordered to surrender profits and modify its advertising. The case ended with an agreement reached outside of court, with undisclosed settlement conditions.[26] The lawsuit was the latest move in a long-simmering dispute. In 2004, Merisant filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding McNeil's advertising. McNeil alleged that Merisant's complaint was in retaliation for a ruling in federal court in Puerto Rico, which forced Merisant to stop packaging Equal in packages resembling Splenda's. McNeil filed suit in Puerto Rico seeking a ruling which would declare its advertising to not be misleading. Following Merisant's lawsuit in Philadelphia, McNeil agreed to a jury trial and to the dismissal of its lawsuit in Puerto Rico. However, on May 11, 2007, the parties reached a settlement on the case, the terms of which were not disclosed.[6] Currently, Splenda is advertised with the slogan, "It starts with sugar. It tastes like sugar. But it's not sugar."[27]
    In 2007, Merisant France prevailed in the Commercial Court of Paris against subsidiaries of McNeil Nutritionals LLC. The court awarded Merisant $54,000 in damages and ordered the defendants to cease advertising claims found to violate French consumer protection laws, including the slogans "Because it comes from sugar, sucralose tastes like sugar" and "With sucralose: Comes from sugar and tastes like sugar".[28]
    A Sugar Association complaint to the Federal Trade Commission stated that "Splenda is not a natural product. It is not cultivated or grown and it does not occur in nature."[29] McNeil Nutritionals, the manufacturer of Splenda, has responded that its "advertising represents the products in an accurate and informative manner and complies with applicable advertising rules in the countries where Splenda brand products are marketed."[30] The U.S. Sugar Association created a web site to criticise sucralose which cites an association-sponsored study.[31]

SPLENDA® Is It Safe or Not?

After twenty years of NutraSweet® (aspartame) dominating the sweetener market, people are realizing for themselves that aspartame really is a foul food chemical tragically harmful to their health. Now, people think Johnson & Johnson’s Splenda, made from sucralose, has come to the rescue as the newest chemical sugar replacement “made from real sugar.” People don’t want to hear that it may be just as dangerous as aspartame, and this white knight of sweeteners is no better improvement.

New chemical sweeteners (like Splenda) and the sweetener blends (aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame K blended together in one product) may be causing users to show signs of weight gain, disruption of sleep patterns, sexual dysfunction, increases in cancer, MS, Lupus, diabetes, and a list of epidemic degenerative diseases. The corporations continue to stand tough in their denial of any connection to chemical sweetener additives.

This website takes you into the world of Splenda; ready or not, here we go again.

The Chlorine In Splenda

Chlorine is commonly found in nature, but almost always in combination with other building block elements. Chlorine's structure makes it very reactive and because it is so reactive, it is very useful to chemists, engineers and others involved in making things humans use every day.

The inventors of Splenda admit around fifteen percent (15%) of sucralose is absorbed by the body, but they cannot guarantee us (out of this fifteen percent) what amount of chlorine stays in the body and what percent flushes out.

Not trying to be a jerk, anyone can use Splenda as much as they wish, but saying its "natural" is false.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    not at all
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Well, over 200 million people consume aspartame with no ill effects, so it shows those that do suffer are in the vast minority, and as it's used in over 6,000 products including carbonated soft drinks, powdered soft drinks, chewing gum, confections, gelatins, dessert mixes, puddings and fillings, frozen desserts, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops, it's pretty popular!

I love it myself, saved me several hundred calories a day with no ill effects! :D
  • esmither1
    Options
    XYLITOL is very TOXIC FOR DOGS. Don't keep any food products containing Xylitol where your pets can reach it. Even check your gummy vitamins and candy because they can also contain it. Here's more info: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp
    I can't think it can be good for people either.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Some people are very sensitive to artificial sweeteners and have to cut them out completely. Good luck!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever drank splenda I put 2-3 in a medium tea (not knowing it was more potent than sugar) & immediately threw up. The only way I connected the dots is that I did the same thing the next day & it happened again.

I have consumed it since then, very sparingly, in small doses - I've been fine (except for once when I drank a pool of it at the end of the cup - instant nausea again).

FYI - I drink diet coke almost every day, so I have no crusade against artificial sweeteners. Really, I don't care what people do either way. I just wanted to let the OP know that it ABSOLUTELY is possible to be nauseous from artificial sweeteners, especially if you use a lot of it.
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    Coincidentially, just read a great article about artifical sweetners. Great facts and a great read!! Came out today! Great for those of you who LOVE diet sodas!

How Diet Soda Makes You Fat (and Other Food and Diet Industry Secrets)- HUF POST

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I only use Splenda because its derived from Sugar and not a man made sweetner. I only use about a teaspoon to a tablespoon a day.

Except not so much. This is an excerpt from http://www.newliving.com/issues/jan_07/articles/sweeteners.html

"Sucralose, also known as SPLENDA(r), is a totally artificial substance manufactured by Johnson & Johnson and is made by adding three atoms of chlorine to a starting substance, which may be extracted from various compounds, including sucrose(sugar) or raffinose (a substance found in beans and onions). The manufacturing process involves the use of many chemicals, including trityl chloride, acetic anhydride, thionyl chloride in the presence of dimethylformamide, 4-methylmorpholine and methyl isobutyl ketone. The end product, sucralose, is a man-made chlorocarbon chemical that has a sweet taste. This is a far cry from the manufacturer's premise that sucralose is really a 'no-calorie sugar.'The fact is, the chemical composition of sucralose more closely resembles pesticides than natural sugar."

I've always felt sick from artificial sweeteners - nausea and migraines. I have to get all my chewing gum from health food stores now, because even though I used to be able to chew Doublemint gum, they started ADDING aspartame to it (so now it has sugar and nutrasweet... smooth).
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a very bad reaction to sucralose (Splenda) and it's in freakin' everything. I just want to chew some gum! And I know one other person who reacts the same way I do, but for most people it seems to be fine. So if you ask a bunch of random Internet people, most of them are going to say "oh, it's fine, relax" and two or three are going to run around screaming POISON! POWDERY DEATH! INSTANT CANCER PACKETS!

Try cutting it out. If you feel better, then go with that - other people not having a problem with something really doesn't have any bearing on what you should do for your health.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

You can use Splenda as wish, but saying its not man-made is completely false. You should do some research on it. They may "start" with a sugar molecule, but after they are done engineering it, it is not longer "real".

In 2006, Merisant, the maker of Equal, filed suit against McNeil Nutritionals in U.S. District Court, Philadelphia, alleging that Splenda's tagline "Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar" is misleading. McNeil argued during the trial that it had never deceived consumers or set out to deceive them, since the product is in fact made from sugar. Merisant asked that McNeil be ordered to surrender profits and modify its advertising. The case ended with an agreement reached outside of court, with undisclosed settlement conditions.[26] The lawsuit was the latest move in a long-simmering dispute. In 2004, Merisant filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding McNeil's advertising. McNeil alleged that Merisant's complaint was in retaliation for a ruling in federal court in Puerto Rico, which forced Merisant to stop packaging Equal in packages resembling Splenda's. McNeil filed suit in Puerto Rico seeking a ruling which would declare its advertising to not be misleading. Following Merisant's lawsuit in Philadelphia, McNeil agreed to a jury trial and to the dismissal of its lawsuit in Puerto Rico. However, on May 11, 2007, the parties reached a settlement on the case, the terms of which were not disclosed.[6] Currently, Splenda is advertised with the slogan, "It starts with sugar. It tastes like sugar. But it's not sugar."[27]
    In 2007, Merisant France prevailed in the Commercial Court of Paris against subsidiaries of McNeil Nutritionals LLC. The court awarded Merisant $54,000 in damages and ordered the defendants to cease advertising claims found to violate French consumer protection laws, including the slogans "Because it comes from sugar, sucralose tastes like sugar" and "With sucralose: Comes from sugar and tastes like sugar".[28]
    A Sugar Association complaint to the Federal Trade Commission stated that "Splenda is not a natural product. It is not cultivated or grown and it does not occur in nature."[29] McNeil Nutritionals, the manufacturer of Splenda, has responded that its "advertising represents the products in an accurate and informative manner and complies with applicable advertising rules in the countries where Splenda brand products are marketed."[30] The U.S. Sugar Association created a web site to criticise sucralose which cites an association-sponsored study.[31]

SPLENDA® Is It Safe or Not?

After twenty years of NutraSweet® (aspartame) dominating the sweetener market, people are realizing for themselves that aspartame really is a foul food chemical tragically harmful to their health. Now, people think Johnson & Johnson’s Splenda, made from sucralose, has come to the rescue as the newest chemical sugar replacement “made from real sugar.” People don’t want to hear that it may be just as dangerous as aspartame, and this white knight of sweeteners is no better improvement.

New chemical sweeteners (like Splenda) and the sweetener blends (aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame K blended together in one product) may be causing users to show signs of weight gain, disruption of sleep patterns, sexual dysfunction, increases in cancer, MS, Lupus, diabetes, and a list of epidemic degenerative diseases. The corporations continue to stand tough in their denial of any connection to chemical sweetener additives.

This website takes you into the world of Splenda; ready or not, here we go again.

The Chlorine In Splenda

Chlorine is commonly found in nature, but almost always in combination with other building block elements. Chlorine's structure makes it very reactive and because it is so reactive, it is very useful to chemists, engineers and others involved in making things humans use every day.

The inventors of Splenda admit around fifteen percent (15%) of sucralose is absorbed by the body, but they cannot guarantee us (out of this fifteen percent) what amount of chlorine stays in the body and what percent flushes out.

Not trying to be a jerk, anyone can use Splenda as much as they wish, but saying its "natural" is false.

Thanks so much for having the patience to respond to that comment in such detail. I find myself unable to stay focused and rational whenever I see someone parrot the Splenda marketing slogan. I still remember it word for word "it tastes like sugar because it is made from sugar". Total BS. A chlorinated carbohydrate molecule is nothing like sugar. That kind of advertising should be illegal, but instead it has become the status quo for most processed food manufacturers; as long as they have a big name. Small producers can't get away with making similar claims. It's who ya know and the power one yields with gov't agencies, I guess.

Splenda likely had the most successful marketing campaign of all time (by my observation) but that doesn't make it true or safe to consume.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have a very bad reaction to sucralose (Splenda) and it's in freakin' everything. I just want to chew some gum! And I know one other person who reacts the same way I do, but for most people it seems to be fine. So if you ask a bunch of random Internet people, most of them are going to say "oh, it's fine, relax" and two or three are going to run around screaming POISON! POWDERY DEATH! INSTANT CANCER PACKETS!

Try cutting it out. If you feel better, then go with that - other people not having a problem with something really doesn't have any bearing on what you should do for your health.

Hey, I tried hard not to do either!! LOL.