when out and about what do you eat?

Options
With the warm weather coming my family and I spend a lot of our weekends outside of the house. Usually this means fast food. I want to stop this. I am a loss for what to bring, it has to be small and easily made on the go. I got a small back back cooler and plan on using that more I just don't know what to pack? We don't take the car so I have to carry it. We usually do the zoos, museums, or just walk the local trails.

Last year I did sandwiches, pb&j, and hotdogs. I want more healthy ideas but I am drawing blanks.

I should note we are usually gone for 6-8 hours.

I

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you need to stop somewhere, Subway's Chop Salads are big, pretty good, and low calorie if you don't go wild with the dressings.

Things that I have toted:
    hard boiled eggs
    carrot and celery sticks with peanut butter
    grapes, cheese, and pretzels work really well together

Of course you can still do sandwiches with various deli meats and cheeses. Stay away from anything mayonaise based and it should be fine for a bit. I like to get a tuna or salmon single size foil packet and dump that on salad or bring some triscuits along and put it on them.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I could replace the blood in my veins with hummus I would. So take what I saw with a grain of salt.

Portioned out it is relatively healthy(and calorie dense) so not that much would be required to get a nice snack out of it. Also dips well with veggies.

Most store brands I have come across dont have a lot of added stuff(even the stuff from GFS for the regular was like 4 ingredients)
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    other ideas..

apples
    clementines (only the ones labeled cuties, they peel best IMO)
    strawberries
    sugar snap peas
    bell peppers cut into strips
    cucumbers
    popcorn
    Kind bars
    Almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. (use snack bags to portion out a serving)
    I also like the idea of the single serve tuna salad packets - serve with crackers or bread
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well...as a firm beiever that there is no such thing as "unhealthy" food, I like to throw some Snicker bars in my pack when I hike or bike. It's quick energy in a small package. :smile:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    hummus and just about any kind of raw veggie for dipping!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Babybel cheese, strung cheese, quakers 25% less sugar bars..
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Sushi. Actually I eat just about anything now while out, I just work out harder to make sure I can afford it calorie wise
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad, salad, veggie burgers and veggie sticks or chips. Lots of water!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Salads or fruit salad. Simple and doesn't need to be heated.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    veggies, nuts, WATER
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Fruit, nuts, raisins, rice cakes, maybe some homemade granola bars or something similar....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've found a lower-calorie choice at every fast food establishment, so if I'm out and about, and the only choices are fast food, I can still stay within my calorie goals.

Example: Carls Jr. has a grilled chicken teriyaki sandwich that I can modify all the way down to 200 calories if need be. No mayo, lettuce wrap that sucker, and I can feel satisfied and *not* destroy my numbers in any category except sodium.

Easy ways to shave off calories: Take off one or both buns. Eliminate cheese. Ask for the dressing/sauce on the side, or not at all.
    Split a small fry.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Turkey hot dogs, PB & J on whole wheat using natural PB and low-sugar jelly, low sodium turkey/deli chicken/roast beef sandwiches with veggies and mustard on wheat, hummus and veggies, wraps with grilled chicken/swiss, low-sugar fig newtons, light wasa crackers with laughing cow cheese, vegetable crudites and fruit salad
  • SiaraAnne
    SiaraAnne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I can't avoid eating out, I always pull up the restaurant's website and look for their nutrition pdf on my phone. It helps you understand if you're actually making a good choice or if that salad is a calorie bomb in disguise.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Roasted red pepper dip with veggies
    Fruit salad
    Olives

Hoping for more ideas too.
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Homemade trail mixes or mixed nuts with dried fruit and chocolate morsels. Definitely agree with fresh fruit and veggies with dips. Hummus is fantastic. Apples with peanut butter! YUM! You can never go wrong with PB&J sandwhiches. :tongue:
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    subway, fruit, water, carrots, and almonds...or in other words my diet all the time..
  • poopoomonkey1978
    poopoomonkey1978 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    cold pasta salad. Go for whole wheat salad, tons of veggies and your favourite low cal dressing. Hard boiled eggs, hummus and veggies, fruit, water bottles, chili in a thermos (not sure you want warm dishes though) chicken breast cut into strips in a pita with lettuce and mustard and other veggies you want.